Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    Sounds like an up-tempo, Latinized version of Horace Silver's "Lonely Woman" with some interesting and varying tonalities. What do you think? Play live . . . Marinero

That's a wonderful Silver tune. I think I hear what you're hearing, but none of the covers I found match the mystery tune.
    I even emailed WBGO for a title.

Thanks.

Joe Levano thinks it might be a Tom Harrell composition. I’d never heard of Harrell before, but I’m now hearing some great tunes and playing.

My hunt continues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Moontrane
    I’d never heard of Harrell before, but I’m now hearing some great tunes and playing.
    Tom Harrell is one of the greatest most lyrical trumpet players ever. He played with Phil Woods, John Abercrombie, Charlie Haden, Mick Goodrick, Wolfgang Muthspiel and a ton of other great players. I think he combines the lyrical qualities of Clifford Brown, Woody Shaw with the modern take on harmony. Great player, great composer.
    Let us know when you find out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Tom Harrell is one of the greatest most lyrical trumpet players ever. He played with Phil Woods, John Abercrombie, Charlie Haden, Mick Goodrick, Wolfgang Muthspiel and a ton of other great players. I think he combines the lyrical qualities of Clifford Brown, Woody Shaw with the modern take on harmony. Great player, great composer.
    Let us know when you find out.
    Agreed, be prepared to listen to a wonderful player/composer.

User Info Menu

I heard Tom in Miami ('76-'78?) at the Airport Lounge playing with the Billy Marcus Trio. I had never heard him before and knew then that he had a very unique voice and sound. He was playing "straight ahead" Jazz then and played/sang Van Morrison's "Moondance", during one of his sets, which was a real crowd pleaser that night. And, as things go with Jazz, Billy Marcus, an amazing creative pianist, never had much recognition outside Florida. Well, that's Jazz.
    However, M, someone should know who wrote that piece? Moontrane . . . Moondance . . . we're getting closer.
    Play live . . . Marinero