The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

So I've been composing a lot recently for Bass, Drums, Piano, Guitar and 2 Horns, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any albums or live performances with this line up?

Any era or style is cool!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's not a trio, it's a sextet. The Benny Goodman Septet is that with one more horn. That's about the best I've heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    That's not a trio, it's a sextet. The Benny Goodman Septet is that with one more horn. That's about the best I've heard.
    Un, he said piano trio (which is typically a piano, bass and drums), with a guitar and 2 horns.

User Info Menu

So, piano trio, solo guitar, horn duo. Don't know of any recordings of that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    So, piano trio, solo guitar, horn duo. Don't know of any recordings of that.

FOUND Some: Oscar Peterson + Harry Edison + Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson. The other 3 are Joe Pass, Dave Young and Martin Drew.

Kansas City Revisted
    Bob Brookmeyer - valve trombone
    Al Cohn, Paul Quinichette - tenor saxophone
    Nat Pierce - piano
    Jim Hall - guitar
    Addison Farmer - bass
    Osie Johnson - drums

My advise is too look for recording where a guitarist plays as a sideman. I.e. the guitarist is the odd-man-out in such a setting. That is how I found the above two.

User Info Menu

The Goodman Septet was piano, bass, and drums, with guitar and horns - sax, trumpet, and clarinet. Close enough for me. And you will not hear better, unless it's the Goodman Sextet with vibes instead of a horn.

User Info Menu

there's plenty! not an unusual sextet line up

bird 'n diz- groovin high, all the things you are

All The Things You Are (1945)

Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet), Charlie Parker (alto sax), Clyde Hart (piano), Remo Palmieri (guitar), Slam Stewart (bass), Cozy Cole (drums)

killers all!

cheers

User Info Menu

Add a 'bone and the choices are many.

I grew up on this album (but you can skip the sonics and start at 0:48 if you prefer). There are two really fine modern ballads at 4:10 and 23:00 -- much more than 'mere' acoustic-electric fusion hornband playing, as if there was such a thing.

'Nice little band' here:
    Randy Brecker, trumpet
    Michael Brecker, tenor & sop
    Garnett Brown, trombone
    John Abercrombie, electric & acoustic guitar
    George Duke, keys
    John B. Williams, double-bass & bass guitar
    William E. Cobham, Jr., drums, composer

User Info Menu

So essentially an (early) hardbop quintet plus guitar?

Last edited by Ol' Fret; 02-06-2021 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fret
    So essentially an (early) hardbop quintet plus guitar?

How could I forget about this session with Tal Farlow. Thanks for the reminder.

Anyhow, looking for a quintet plus guitar is what I recommended. I.e. the guitar is the odd-man out. E.g. there are many trios that feature either a piano or guitar, with 2 hours, or quarters with piano and guitar, but the latter don't often add horns or if they do, there is no guitarist.

User Info Menu

Doug Raney - Meeting the Tenors:

User Info Menu

George Russell - Jazz Workshop (Barry Galbraith on guitar):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    How could I forget about this session with Tal Farlow. Thanks for the reminder.

Anyhow, looking for a quintet plus guitar is what I recommended. I.e. the guitar is the odd-man out. E.g. there are many trios that feature either a piano or guitar, with 2 hours, or quarters with piano and guitar, but the latter don't often add horns or if they do, there is no guitarist.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too, piano and guitar player tend to clash their harmonics - unless they carefully listen to what the other is playing. As for the guitar player being the odd-man out, there are different opinions:

User Info Menu

Grant Green - Solid:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Grant Green - Solid:

Great selection. I do wonder if Grant Green wanted a piano player in this setting or if it was the Blue Note producer that push for that.

McCoy Tyner is solid (sorry couldn't help it!), of course, but from my POV not really "needed": I.e. I would rather have heard just Grant comping behind the horn players when they solo. I guess that when Grant solos the producer or maybe even Grant, wanted more harmonic backing and a fuller sound.

User Info Menu

Grant Green didn’t comp very often on his records (I think he did occasionally when they featured organ rather than piano) so I doubt he minded having McCoy Tyner doing it. He also used the same rhythm section 2 months earlier on ‘Matador’.

User Info Menu

Another sextet session featuring Grant Green:

User Info Menu

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Another sextet with Kenny Burrell:

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney (with Bobby Jaspar on tenor, Roger Guerin on trumpet):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    George Russell - Jazz Workshop (Barry Galbraith on guitar):

That one has about everything you could possibly do with that instrumentation, because he used the guitar as another horn, rather than as a comping/rhythm section instrument.

Another good example of interesting writing for that instrumentation is the Bill Evans album with Zoot Sims, Freddie Hubbard, Jim Hall and piano trio. I don't know the title of it.

There's probably some Scott Hamilton/Warren Vache albums on Concord that had that instrumentation, because they'd usually throw guitarists from their roster (Howard Alden, Bucky P., Ed Bickert or Cal Collins) along with Dave McKenna on piano and rhythm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    That one has about everything you could possibly do with that instrumentation, because he used the guitar as another horn, rather than as a comping/rhythm section instrument.

Another good example of interesting writing for that instrumentation is the Bill Evans album with Zoot Sims, Freddie Hubbard, Jim Hall and piano trio. I don't know the title of it.
    "Interplay" I have it on a twofer w/unreleased material on the 2nd record.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "Interplay" I have it on a twofer w/unreleased material on the 2nd record.
    Oh yeah, now I remember. I have the CD of Interplay, and it's only got the great session with Freddie. The unreleased side is the one with Freddie and Zoot. I taped the stuff with Zoot when they dis a 24 hour Memorial tribute to Hall on WKCR. Great stuff!