The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 68

User Info Menu

What made you interested in playing guitar?
    In my case, it resulted from the fact that I was under the influence of cultural changes in the so-called world.
    The appearance of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones bands had a decisive influence on my interest in guitar and, more broadly, music.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I didn't have to put it under my chin like a violin or between my legs like a cello.

User Info Menu

It wasn’t a clarinet (which my mom picked for me to play)

User Info Menu

Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi -- what else??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi -- what else??
    Eric Clapton,Carlos Santana...

User Info Menu

God you're all old ....

.. anyways as a young mint gen-x'er ...

Just what my dad had lying around. It was actually my uncle's guitar that he'd somehow left at our place, where it just ended hanging on a wall for years until I picked it up at age 13 and start fiddling around with it ... Nothing too magical .. But learned to play cowboy chords and simple blues lick thru a mix of borrowing books from our library and listening to records .. At age 15 I started in high school and a couple of kids where trying to start a band, but need a guitar player ...

User Info Menu

Girls.

I once asked Mrs LoveHandles to throw a pair of her knickers at me when I was playing guitar. Durn near knocked me over.

User Info Menu

Girls and rock stars. Clarinetiste groupies wasn't much of a thing in the 80s.

Lol to prove to my brother I could do it better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When I was 20 I moved in with my step father; he was living with a guy going to college learning to be a musician and jazz guitarist.

I was playing my Beatles, Zep,,,etc... One day I hear Benson's Body Talk. I played violin since I was a kid and could read music etc. I got a guitar the next week.

User Info Menu

I spent my first eight years as a musician as a trumpet/cornet player. My idols were Bobby Hackett, Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong, Bunny Berigan, Harry James, Rafael Mendez, and Doc Severinsen (I started being behind the times pretty early on). I started playing guitar at around 17, but still continued to play trumpet for quite a while.

Though I was born in the 1960s, The Beatles or other pop bands had nothing to do with me falling in love with the guitar. It was chords and harmony. My Father had a guitar he had bought when he was younger, and I just started messing around with it. The more I learned chords and harmony and could make complete sounding music just playing alone, I was hooked.

It was chords.

Plus, by the time I was a teenager, the era of a trumpet player getting laid was about four decades past...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    I spent my first eight years as a musician as a trumpet/cornet player. My idols were Bobby Hackett, Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong, Bunny Berigan, Harry James, Rafael Mendez, and Doc Severinsen (I started being behind the times pretty early on). I started playing guitar at around 17, but still continued to play trumpet for quite a while.

Though I was born in the 1960s, The Beatles or other pop bands had nothing to do with me falling in love with the guitar. It was chords and harmony. My Father had a guitar he had bought when he was younger, and I just started messing around with it. The more I learned chords and harmony and could make complete sounding music just playing alone, I was hooked.

It was chords.

Plus, by the time I was a teenager, the era of a trumpet player getting laid was about four decades past...
    Nice story; Like I said I played the violin since I was a kid, but it was chords that also got me into the guitar; it wasn't hard to learn the basic open string chords and being able to back up singers or just play nice sounding chords. Also the fact that bringing a violin to the beach (I lived on it), just didn't cut it, but an acoustic guitar, that was the ticket.

User Info Menu

The short story is I wasn't, until I was 12 and a good friend of mine bought a drum set at a garage sale and announced at school the next day that he was starting a band.

Not wanting to be left out, I announced I played guitar (my dad, a piano player, had an unused acoustic sitting in our hall closet)

So then, to learn. My pops showed me an E minor chord and the harmonics at the beginning of "roundabout." I was hooked instantly. I knew right away I'd play guitar for the rest of my life.

User Info Menu

KISS and other guitar-driven Rock music first got me interested, and then when MTV hit, I was hooked! I wanted to be "cool" like the guys in the videos. But, I did not have the maturity to do the required practice until decades later.

User Info Menu

The main reason was that a guitar was the only thing my parents could get for $24.99 at Sears on layaway in the 60's.

Well, maybe a harmonica. Thank god they didn't stoop that low.

User Info Menu

beatles on sullivan

cheers

User Info Menu

Started on piano, hated it. My best friend in 8th grade went to Mexico with his family on Christmas vacation, brought back two $15 nylon-string guitars, gave me one. It was the big folk scare of the early 60s, I asked why, he said, we're going to start a group! 3 weeks in, my entire life was determined.

My dad was a weekend drummer in a standards trio, loved jazz, so I became a jazz snob early on; the Beatles were noise, pop music was lame, etc. It only got worse when I started studying classical guitar, took me years to appreciate the rich music scene of the time. Fortunately, I really enjoyed the challenge of new experiences, and became a mercenary for hire, playing with lots of the name acts from the folk and early rock era. My jazz experience made it easy to fake the rhythm guitar parts for Peter, Paul and Mary or the Kingsmen, and my serious studies gave me enough reading skill to do sessions and pit band work. I played full-time for 25 years before I ever had my own group, although I did a lot of solo concerts and gigs. Still exploring the mysteries of this drum with strings!

User Info Menu

Back when I was in school everyone was taken to the band area where all the band instruments were laid out. I was at the end of the line so all the instruments were taken except for the baritone, that didn't interest me, so I said I want to play guitar. I was told the guitar is not a real instrument.

I went home and told my dad, he found me a cheap guitar and got me lessons. 50 years later I'm still playing a not real instrument.

User Info Menu

I loved the Beatles--especially the the suspended chords on Help and I Want to Hold Your Hand, and the intros to Ticket to Ride and Paperback Writer. I also liked the guitar parts that Luther Perkins played for Johnny Cash.

I bugged my parents into getting me a (cheap) guitar--probably Teisco or Silvertone, and we went to the Chambers Music Store in Chattanooga, where I told the teacher I wanted to learn to play Ticket to Ride and Folsom Prison Blues.

A couple of Mel Bay books and 50 years later, I still never learned to play those songs. Though I can play a mean fingerstyle Eight Days a Week, Yesterday, Michelle and Blackbird.

User Info Menu

Outside of piano, I’m not dedicated to any one instrument. I still play flugelhorn and occasionally some sax. I eventually came to guitar for chords. Bossa Nova is my thing.

User Info Menu

It was an artform that I could relate to being that I had decent fine motor skills, an ear for a melody, and emotions about music in general. That and portability and girls, or more like girls and portability.

User Info Menu

The bagpipes were already taken.

User Info Menu

Like many, it was what was available. My father played, and I could play on his for free. I couldn't afford to buy anything until I was pretty much grown. I liked other instruments, they just weren't available. There were no musical instruments sold in our area, no music stores, no record stores. If we needed or wanted anything the local stores didn't have, the only options were the Sears and Spiegel catalogs. That's mostly where our clothes came from, as did my father's guitar, an Old Kraftsman from the Spiegel catalog. He built the amp from parts from NRI, and what he could scrounge locally. The possibility of owning any other instrument never even entered my mind until I was almost through college.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    It was an artform that I could relate to being that I had decent fine motor skills, an ear for a melody, and emotions about music in general. That and portability and girls, or more like girls and portability.
    I was too young to think about girls when I started playing.

Though if I had been smart I would have worked on my vocal skills. We know who gets the pretty girl and who ends up with her best friend Myrtle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I was too young to think about girls when I started playing.

Though if I had been smart I would have worked on my vocal skills. We know who gets the pretty girl and who ends up with her best friend Myrtle.
    True story about girls and music; I was in the Jr. high orchestra, playing violin and was 4th chair (out of 7). Well there was a girl that I liked and she was 5th chair. She challenges me for my chair (this was common and allowed but only once a semester). She lost. Well we became closer, and I told her my secret; I wasn't very good at slight reading so I purchased records and played along to them since I had a very good ear.

Well next semester, she challenges me again. I knew I sounded better and would retain my seat yet again. We meet the instructor. He asks what song should we use for the challenge. I mention a common one we had been playing. Well the girl says, "why don't we try a new one?", and the instructor loves this idea! I got up and left and never came back. Yea, I gave up music that day, until I picked up a guitar 5 or so years later.