The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Except for Jazz, my guitar interests are almost all acoustic. I especially like, and my only formal study was in, classical guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nobody has mentioned Jeff Beck yet? Is the forum broken or something? ?

User Info Menu

Guinga! With Lula Galvão.

User Info Menu

There's quite a bit of stuff, guitar-wise since you asked, that I like. And play. I'm really bad with jazz guitar but I've played folk acoustic for a long time and some of that is finger style. Really like Bruce Cockburn, solo especially, and lots of other people, some mentioned above, playing in that style.

One of the other styles that takes up a significant amount of my listening time is electroacoustic, or acousmatic. That's not an acoustic/electric guitar as some people tend to think. That's computer processed music. And there is often a guitar involved as a sound source. But very, very different than jazz, or most other genres as well come to think of it.

As an example, this is a link to my radio program and the Oliver Carman work 'Electric Strings' uses guitar as one of the sound sources.
    CKCU: Peter Batchelor, Oliver Carman, Ian Battenfield Headley, Konstantinos Karathanasis, Dominic Jasmin - Acoustic Frontiers - 2021-01-11

User Info Menu

Edson Lopes, Yamandu Costa, Pavel Steidl, Eduardo Fernandez, Roland Dyens, Fabio Zanon, Marcin Dylla--Classical/Brazilian Guitar performers; Wagner: Ring Cycle, Flying Dutchman; Schumann, Schubert, Haydn, Mertz, Beethoven, Chopin, Mendelssohn--orchestral; Classical Guitar Music: Llobet, Ponce, Mertz, Tarrega, Lauro, Sor, Cano, Ze Marcos. . . That's a lifetime of listening.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Bach Bach Bach Bach Bach

SDG

User Info Menu

Tatyana Ryzhkova is a brilliant young classical guitarist from Belarus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Nobody has mentioned Jeff Beck yet? Is the forum broken or something? ?
    Love Jeff Beck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Tatyana Ryzhkova is a brilliant young classical guitarist from Belarus

Hi, M,
    There's a wealth of talented CG's(and musicians in general) from Russia and Eastern European who play with remarkable feeling, personality, and nuance unlike the horde of American CG's who play, largely, IMO, like well-honed robots. Ana Vidovic and Pavel Steidl are two great Eastern European CG's. Perhaps they still maintain "old school" standards of excellence and artistry of the past.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I love listening to guitar music and I listen to all sorts (other than metal and classic rock). Flamenco (and some of it's spin offs) get lots of play here. Some "next generation" surf like James Wilsey, John Blakely, The Vanduras. Instrumental rock including Jeff Beck, Lari Basilio, and Ray Montford (a brilliant Canadian player). Some of the modern acoustic players from the Michael Hedges stream. Thanks to YouTube I get to watch John Knowles who I think is one of the most inspiring guitarists I've ever heard And when I want to become a better player, I watch Chet Atkins videos. There's lots more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campos
    Guinga! With Lula Galvão.
    I love Guinga but this is really special. Just wonderful playing.

User Info Menu

BTW Tatyana Ryzhkova has some good warmup/exercise videos (haha “exercise videos”) online, highly recommend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    BTW Tatyana Ryzhkova has some good warmup/exercise videos (haha “exercise videos”) online, highly recommend.
    Hi, J,
    There's an inherent problem with music videos that my generation didn't have with LP's, cassettes, and CD's, recently--that a performer's visual appearance has the ability to effect the perception of a performance. Enough said.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, J,
    There's an inherent problem with music videos that my generation didn't have with LP's, cassettes, and CD's, recently--that a performer's visual appearance has the ability to effect the perception of a performance. Enough said.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I get your point, Marinero. Tatyana is one of the "creators" I support via Patreon and
    the videos there are often more casual in appearance and production. I got hooked when
    I first heard her play that Lauro piece - the expression and tempo change in the third
    part... it still gives me shivers even after repeated listening.

Regarding your... and likely my, generation. My initial learning was done at 16 rpm, at
    half speed and an octave lower than concert pitch. It's almost too easy now.

User Info Menu

I listen to lots of stuff but generally not guitar stuff.

This is something else tho'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I get your point, Marinero. Tatyana is one of the "creators" I support via Patreon and
    the videos there are often more casual in appearance and production. I got hooked when
    I first heard her play that Lauro piece - the expression and tempo change in the third
    part... it still gives me shivers even after repeated listening.

Regarding your... and likely my, generation. My initial learning was done at 16 rpm, at
    half speed and an octave lower than concert pitch. It's almost too easy now.

Hi, M,
    Tatyana is a very emotive player--the first thing I listen for in a performance. Sound, however, is difficult to judge with the incredible machinations/creativity found in today's recording studios. For the record(no pun intended),I always prefer to hear a musician play live.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I kinda like stuff like this. Not particularly advanced, but great if you're working .. or even on a long walk.

User Info Menu

Marinero I would be willing to make the sacrifice to go and see Ms. Rhyzkova in person.
    I may even look at the guitar.
    Maybe. ?
    jk model year 1952

User Info Menu

It occurred to me that I left out the three guitarists that I've listened to the most over the last few years: Dominic Miller, Cenk Erdogan and Antonio Forcione. They've all veered towrds jazz at times but none of the three would really be considered "jazz" guitarists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It occurred to me that I left out the three guitarists that I've listened to the most over the last few years: Dominic Miller, Cenk Erdogan and Antonio Forcione. They've all veered towrds jazz at times but none of the three would really be considered "jazz" guitarists.
    Dominic is great, always liked him .. Even if his most known tune is totally outside jazz (tho the lyrics are not his)

I remember transcribing the guitar part back in the day .. Fun times

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Marinero I would be willing to make the sacrifice to go and see Ms. Rhyzkova in person.
    I may even look at the guitar.
    Maybe. ?
    jk model year 1952
    Yes, J,
    I'd love to see her perform live based on her video. The only thing you can't tell from a CD, record, video, etc. is the musician's SOUND. Back in the Stone Age when I first began the study of CG, one of my favorite musicians was Liona Boyd based on her LP's. However, when I finally saw her perform live (early 90's) in a northern Chicago suburb, her sound was weak/thin and I was very disappointed. It was then I realized that a musician's talent is a combination of technique, interpretation and sound . . . a difficult trio to master. However, sound, IMO, is a function of personality and many great technical players lack convincing sound and that's a whole other discussion.

Play live . . . Marinero