The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Besides jazz, in the instrumental music area, do you like something ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Actually, I hadn't thought about this, but for the most part, no. I tend not to like "guitar music."

I can listen to a bit of surf music, that's fun for a bit. And I like the "flatpicking" genre, but usually there's some vocals sprinkled in which breaks it up a bit, in a good way.

I definitely am not into "guitar player" music, like Tommy Emmanuel and Andy McKee and all of that "fingerstyle" stuff.

User Info Menu

I, too, like flat-picking. I'm actually not keen on bluegrass melodies, but some of the flat-pickers get a fair way from that these days and are great pickers. I do enjoy finger-pickers, too - most particularly the ragtime / ragtime-blues guys. And, more and more, I'm quite liking some of the old "plectrum" guitar players, who I guess may be considered jazzers, but I'm not sure how much improvisation is going on there.

Derek

User Info Menu

Surf, definitely, or surf influenced. Khruangbin is cool... Sometimes even straight ahead rock like Joe Satriani.

Soundtracks! So much cool stuff can find there. Like, I'm not exactly EDM fan, but I really enjoyed the movie Drive instrumental ambient electronic soundtrack.

Actually I, myself, recording instrumental tracks, non jazz variety, (because jazz I like to play live, not with drum machines). I'm working on the new album right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Surf, definitely, or surf influenced. Khruangbin is cool... Sometimes even straight ahead rock like Joe Satriani.

Soundtracks! So much cool stuff can find there. Like, I'm not exactly EDM fan, but I really enjoyed the movie Drive instrumental ambient electronic soundtrack.

Actually I, myself, recording instrumental tracks, non jazz variety, (because jazz I like to play live, not with drum machines). I'm working on the new album right now.
    I should amend my post to include that I absolutely love Khraungbin.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Not strictly guitar music but the guitar is prominent. Greatest instrumental (non-jazz) band of all time????

User Info Menu

I could listen to Haydn’s String Quartets or Piano Trios on “repeat all” for days on end - in fact I often do.

User Info Menu

Where to begin? Folk, blues, jazz, ragtime... it's all good. Off the top of my head over the decades I've bought instrumental guitar recordings of:

Guy Van Duser
    Eric Schoenberg
    Chet Atkins
    Merle Travis
    Martin Simpson
    Leo Kottke
    Gary Davis
    Ernie Hawkins
    Lasse Johansson
    John James
    Anyone who's been released on Kicking Mule...

I'll stop now. If we include other, non-jazz instrumental music played on other instruments the list would be very long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Actually, I hadn't thought about this, but for the most part, no. I tend not to like "guitar music."...
    I definitely am not into "guitar player" music, like Tommy Emmanuel and Andy McKee and all of that "fingerstyle" stuff.
    Amen brother! I'm with you on that one.

User Info Menu

I like classical guitar (and lute), also folk-type stuff like John Renbourn and Davey Graham. And blues guitar, not just electric but also acoustic/slide.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oops, I missed "guitar" in the thread topic question.

I like this:

I consider this "guitar" music - I could listen to Renaissance guitar/vihuela/lute music all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    I could listen to Haydn’s String Quartets or Piano Trios on “repeat all” for days on end - in fact I often do.

Last edited by BickertRules; 01-26-2021 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I love rock instrumental- Steve Vai, Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson.

Not sure if you'd call Duke Levine and Jim Campilongo "jazz", but I love them.

Also stuff that *I* would consider jazz- some call it hillbilly jazz, like Jimmy Bryant and some of the Western swing stuff.

Also, I have a couple of bluesy records that are mostly instrumental, by Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters.

Acoustic instrumental- Tommy Emmanuel, Al Petteway, Bryan Sutton

From my country. Ive shared this song more than one time in then forum, because Im kinda obsesed with it .

Paco de Lucia is other player I like.

Should be more but thats at the top of my mind right now.

User Info Menu

Johnny A, Danny Gatton, Manitas De Plata, Carlos Montoya, Hellecasters, Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Luis Bonfa, Baden Powell, Bola Sete, the Meters, Al Caiola, David Torn, Will Bernard, VM Bhatt, Santo and Johnny. And didn't Johnny Smith often say he wasn't a jazz musician?

John

User Info Menu

I listen to a lot of Tommy Guerrero. Perpetual and Road to Knowhere are his more recent guitar heavy albums, in my opinion. He has a unique mix of styles all his own.

User Info Menu

As it happens this is one of my favourite non-jazz guitar CDs:

User Info Menu

Does this count?

User Info Menu

I like Segovia, Bream and Williams. That sort of thing. Always a refreshing change from jazz guitar after a while.

User Info Menu

Surf and ragtime, plus Norman Blake, Doc Watson, Merle Travis and Comer 'Moon' Mullins. Don't care for Tommy Emmanuel and that whole bunch of 'fancy' fingerpickers - bores me after about 2 minutes.

User Info Menu

where do I even start? I am pretty eclectic.

I don’t think I ever listened to THAT much guitar, but I listened to that along with all sorts of classical music from solo to orchestra and still do. Grew up with Julian Breams recordings.

Chris Thile’s solo Bach on mandolin is worth a listen for sure.

And then there’s stuff like Anouar Brahem.... ECM world/jazz stuff that doesn’t fit into an easy category.

Instrumental rock stuff mostly more for the instrument than the music itself, I have a soft spot for Satriani. Surfin with the Alien is a bop.

I don’t honestly listen to that much music atm unless it’s for work. Which is a shame. If I do atm it’s probably going to the Radio 6 Music which is pretty eclectic; everything from
    the New York Dolls to Steve Reich’s clapping music. But they do play some interesting electronic music from time to time, which is sort of instrumental?

I like the way they have musicians as presenters. Iggy Pop always plays interesting stuff.... thanks to that channel I learned Elton John is a massive Carla Bley fan. Who knew?

I should probably get into Carnatic music having done a little Konnakol. Very beautiful.

User Info Menu

Classical guitar, Segovia in particular, and Celtic guitar, especially Richard Thompson and John Renbourn. Lately, I've discovered Big Lazy, with Steve Ulrich on guitar. You might call them Jazz. I'm not sure, but I love'em. Even Ms. darkwaters became an instant fan. Their new album, Dear Trouble, is fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Chris Thile’s solo Bach on mandolin is worth a listen for sure.
    Several listens actually.

User Info Menu

John Williams' recordings on his own label (JCW) feature a lot of his own writing, which sounds like it is influenced by Keith Jarret in places. Paco de Lucia's last record was of Spanish folk songs, laid-back and beautiful. Rafael Rabello played a great mix of Brazilian choros, samba and bossa along with classical pieces to which he actually improvised cadenzas, like the old classicists and baroque composers did. South African guitarist-composer Derek Gripper is amazingly original. Segovia's contemporaries Rey de la Torre and Alirio Diaz I find more musical and better technicians than the old man was, and Luis Bonfa is a most entertaining guitarist and composer. I tend to listen to more non-jazz guitar anyway, since I started my professional career as a nylon-string player doubling on electric and acoustic steel-string instruments, doing session and pit work as well as clubs and restaurants. Of all the very good acoustic Fingerstyle players, I always am moved and mystified by the spell Adrian Legg could cast, live or recorded.