The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I suspect it's NOS, as information about them is hard to find. It's not even on Epiphone's web site!

The SST is a "solid body" acoustic guitar. The "coupe" is supposedly a bit smaller, making it viable as a travel guitar, but it has a full 25.5" scale. The keys to its sound are a chambered mahogany body and what Epiphone calls its Shadow* Panoramic SH-148-HD pickup system, which provide separate panning and EQ settings for the top three strings and the lower three strings. The preamp also includes both an AUX input (for an MP3 player) and a headphone output. So, the idea is to provide acoustic guitar sound via amp, without having to do a lot of amp twiddling, I guess.

I'm debating on it, because I don't know if it really fits my needs. If I played live more often, I'd grab it, because I play a lot of acoustic guitar, but I don't need to amplify my acoustic stuff most of the time. When I need electric, I play electric.

Musician's Friend is offering this guitar today (2021-01-09) for a very attractive US $399. I know the clock is ticking, but if you read this and have feed back before time runs out, this could help me make a decision.

Thanks!

And Happy New Year!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You might get more responses putting this on the Gear Page.

Looks interesting...the one in natural is quite attractive. The current price per MF webpage is $599, but if you could get it for $399 that would be a good deal.

Having said that, it looks to be mainly useful for playing live. Not much sound unplugged apparently. In most situations I think one could get by with a traditional acoustic amplified one way or another. But I could see this being useful for louder bands, due to lack of feedback.

For travel I am very pleased with my VoyageAir folding guitar. If you travel a lot you might give it a look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    For travel I am very pleased with my VoyageAir folding guitar. If you travel a lot you might give it a look.
    Thanks for your response. I agree with your summation, and since I don't play live frequently, decided to pass on the Epi.

Up until COVID turned the world on its ear, I did a lot of traveling, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll look at the VoyageAir, but I'm very happy with my carbon fiber KL?S travel guitar, so it would take a lot to supplant it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    Thanks for your response. I agree with your summation, and since I don't play live frequently, decided to pass on the Epi.

Up until COVID turned the world on its ear, I did a lot of traveling, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll look at the VoyageAir, but I'm very happy with my carbon fiber KL?S travel guitar, so it would take a lot to supplant it!
    I haven’t heard of the KLOS. Looks like a similar concept with a removable neck (the VoyageAir is hinged). I’m sure the carbon fiber would stand up to moisture better than wood!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I haven’t heard of the KLOS. Looks like a similar concept with a removable neck (the VoyageAir is hinged). I’m sure the carbon fiber would stand up to moisture better than wood!
    I love mine! I've taken it to sea, holed up in hotel rooms (quarantine, you know), and never worry about it getting scratched or crunched. Since it's an acoustic guitar, I take the neck off, then stuff the body with socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc. and then put it in my suitcase. If I have to check my bag, I don't worry about what the baggage handlers will do. It comes out and goes together in minutes, and I'm playing in no time.

And I love the way it plays. Mine has a wooden neck with a carbon fiber truss rod (they now offer an all-carbon fiber guitar), and since I have small hands, the short scale and rosewood fingerboard are a delight. Mine is acoustic only, but KL?S offers an acoustic-electric for those who need it. I find the voice of the guitar is quite resonant, although its size tends to make it a little on the "tinny" side. Still, as a practice guitar on the road, I don't think I can find a guitar to beat it. KL?S has videos on their site showing how strong and durable the carbon fiber is, too. That's what got me interested in the first place! When KL?S offered me the chance to become an "ambassador" and accepted me, I was quite pleased. I got a free t-shirt out of it, too!

Lately, KL?S introduced a "Silent Instrument Cable" which I also purchased. It's engineered so you can plug in and unplug a guitar and amp without the popping, buzzing, screeching and eye-opening, ear-shattering sounds you get with other cables when you forget to pot down before changing. It's pretty nifty too, and several of my guitar friends have gotten one (or more), too.