User Info Menu

My Fender Vibrochamp XD amp finally went down for good. Replacing tubes did not work this time.

According to internet lore, these amps are subject to having DSP boards (whatever that exactly is) go bad. As has been stated here in past threads, the amps are basically throwaway. I think I bought it around 2008 or so, for 275.00 US.

So, what is the appropriate, environmentally friendly way to dispose of a combo amp here in the US? Do you strip the tubes and speakers and save them for later use?

Thanks for any tips, and Happy New Year to all. Looks like more of the same for now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

DSP is the Digital Signal Processor. I've never disposed of an amp, so I can't help you there. I certainly think I would keep everything that might be useful sometime. Tubes, speakers, whatever comes out easily.

User Info Menu

I have a small keyboard combo amp (Randall 25 watt) that died on me. I removed the amplifier and kept the cabinet/speaker to use as an extension speaker (12 inch). I either sent the amp to Good Will or tossed it in the recyle bin - don't remember.

User Info Menu

Do you have a place that does computer and electronics disposal nearby?

User Info Menu

Before you throw it away, read this thread and consider baking the DSP chip in the oven.

Yes, really.

You have nothing to lose . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Do you have a place that does computer and electronics disposal nearby?
    Yes I do. And, that sounds like a logical way to dispose of it. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Before you throw it away, read this thread and consider baking the DSP chip in the oven.

Yes, really.

You have nothing to lose . . .
    Intriguing! But, this just gives me an excuse to get a more modern amp, and if my money holds up, I am going to take it!

User Info Menu

Packrat that I am, I am going to dissassemble and keep the parts and the case. I may run across someone who needs an amp, and might be able to get parts, such as another DSP, and put it together for them. Guitar cases, amps, and other music items are kind of taking up too much room in my storage areas.

I keep all my music stuff indoors so it gets crowded. And, the wife is not too happy either.

I still want a new amp.

User Info Menu

I hope Fender treats the tonemasters better than the previous digital attempts they did... Had this amp for a while, i liked it for its size, price and features, but something was wrong with the DSP, the volume would sometimes not turn off, so i returned it. At least you used it for 12 years..