The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Speaking of Mark Guiliana, the Donny McCaslin quartet (the blackstar band) might be your thing.

or maybe not!

Who knows haha
    Yeah that whole gang in various constellations are worth a listen. Speaking of which, not a Bowie fan in general (I was listening to Kraftwerk when Let’s Dance came out) but that Blackstar album is something else... listened through it just now, lots of interesting stuff going on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankhond
    Yeah that whole gang in various constellations are worth a listen. Speaking of which, not a Bowie fan in general (I was listening to Kraftwerk when Let’s Dance came out) but that Blackstar album is something else... listened through it just now, lots of interesting stuff going on.
    bowie was unique and morphed himself into different characters during his career.

just a note: Lets Dance,,Stevie Ray Vaughn on guitar (and several other cuts "china doll" IIRC

Blackstar: Ben Monder on guitar

-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by man-argentina
    Yesterday I was listening Art Blakey's Oh by the way, I love The jazz messengers.

But I would like something more experimental.

I know Coltrane could fit on that description, but... someone elese ? Also already heard everything of Mingus.

Preferly minor tunnings. Dark tunnings.

Not something like Miles Davis, and no effects (at least in the 70s 80s fashion ). Something with a classic resemble , but with more modern melodies, and not standard tunnings. Not Metheny.

Also not "avant garde", or "free jazz", and full of disonances.

I know this is such an abstract and wide question, but let see if someone catchs my vibe.

As example of something I dont want is the tune Duck soup in the Oh by they way album.

this is a common question.."what is jazz ?"

take it away from record/music industry marketing departments and the definition is in constant flux .. changing every aspect on a constant basis..

my take on what may fit your request:

Ben Monder
    Herbie Hancock..Maiden voyage/Dolphin Dance
    Gary Burton with Larry Coryell
    Layfette Gilchrist..keyboard experiments?
    Carla Bley-compositions ..with Steve Swallow
    Miles Davis....because he has changed the definition of jazz.more than once...with Bill Evans..Kind of Blue..flamenco sketches..
    Mike Bloomfield/Paul Butterfield (East/West)
    Chick Corea..Spain..progressive Flemenco? Jazz fusion..?
    John Scofield
    John McLaughlin

and hundreds (thousands) more..with or without public/media exposure.. that could be considered "experimental"

I think on the above list these musicians took many chances (experiments) in their work..many of which were a breakaway from the term "jazz"

a paradox..perhaps...But..if the 1920's New Orleans sound was/is jazz..Can Bitches Brew also be jazz..if so..all definitions of jazz are void..that is..useless..
    perhaps a new "label" needs to be used..but then..it would be just as inaccurate as the current term

much like asking---what is "baseball" and having "rollerball" or better yet.."professional wrestling" included in the definition.

User Info Menu

Lots of great advice (I dig the nose flute) but to get bachk to the OP who hopefully hasnöt yet lost faith in mankind:

If vintage Blakey isn’t experimental enough, listen to his 80‘s bands, might just fit the bill. Or Sonny Rollins. Scofield’s recordings from the 80s and 90s. That stuff is called „modern mainstream“ and there is more than enough out there. I‘m just listing some masters.

Sounds like jazz, though.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I dig the nose flute

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I was wondering why a RRK nose flute reference took so long ! : )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I was wondering why a RRK nose flute reference took so long ! : )
    and..lets not forget ..Frank Zappa.."Played" a bicycle...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    and..lets not forget ..Frank Zappa.."Played" a bicycle...
    ....I like how he seemed to pronounce it a bi-cycle......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ....I like how he seemed to pronounce it a bi-cycle......

in the section where the "band" joins in...if you listen closely you can hear..suzie creamcheese say..."...Forget It !!! "

User Info Menu

You want Tomasz Stanko's "Suspended Night" or "Lontano."

Many new responsed to my topic.

Thanks guys. I know Im very picky.

Gonna check ur responses.

Please could someone suggest for me some Mongolian nose flute music which is not played by Mongolians, is not played through the nose, does not involve a flute, and is not musical.

It’s my favourite music, but I have been listening to it for 2 hours and I am getting a bit bored with it.
    ????

User Info Menu

????
    sorry, just a little joke...after several attempts to meet your repeated and somewhat difficult requests!

User Info Menu

sorry, just a little joke...after several attempts to meet your repeated and somewhat difficult requests!
    Its ok, if u read my first post I kinda apologize in advance, and knew I was going to incite some mockery.

User Info Menu

Its ok, if u read my first post I kinda apologize in advance, and knew I was going to incite some mockery.

Sorry, nothing mean-spirited intended....

I saw a mention of Carla Bley and Steve Swallow ( Wolf ? )

I'd also check out Paul Bley......' Scorpio ' and others..............

User Info Menu

Back in the day, the Naxos label put out some interesting jazz stuff and I bought a few of them, this is one I like:

User Info Menu

Another one, the UMO jazz orchestra from Finland:

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Eh, I’ll repost this and see if it pleases the OP’s jaded palette

Not my cup of tea.

User Info Menu

Some moody blues:

User Info Menu

Cutting edge music; ahead of its time.

There is a more experimental jazz ?-248c4344-a341-447d-8d7e-1a4a3d8f3c5e-jpeg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"Mongolian nose flute music". Did not go unnoticed. Pure frickin' genius.

User Info Menu

Anthony Braxton? Some really interesting stuff to be had there. Just my opinion.