The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

Yesterday I was listening Art Blakey's Oh by the way, I love The jazz messengers.

But I would like something more experimental.

I know Coltrane could fit on that description, but... someone elese ? Also already heard everything of Mingus.

Preferly minor tunnings. Dark tunnings.

Not something like Miles Davis, and no effects (at least in the 70s 80s fashion ). Something with a classic resemble , but with more modern melodies, and not standard tunnings. Not Metheny.

Also not "avant garde", or "free jazz", and full of disonances.

I know this is such an abstract and wide question, but let see if someone catchs my vibe.

As example of something I dont want is the tune Duck soup in the Oh by they way album.

Also, not "rap/trap", or R&B/soul.
    Last edited by man-argentina; 01-06-2021 at 04:13 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

OP makes me think of early/mid sixties blue note Joe Henderson. Maybe because I've been digging it and learning this one. Interesting to hear Elvin and McCoy just before Love Supreme.

User Info Menu

Probably a lot of the Blue Note 60s stuff in a minor key would fit the bill, such as this:

User Info Menu

and a lot of Bobbie Hutherson from the same era. Speaking of him, also the well known:

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    OP makes me think of early/mid sixties blue note Joe Henderson. Maybe because I've been digging it and learning this one. Interesting to hear Elvin and McCoy just before Love Supreme.

Thanks, I really like this style (specially the second tune), but, still sounds too "classic" for me.

I mean, its a modern aproach to what jazz, bebop, was, but Im looking something even more modern.

Really dont want to be too picky and annoying, just chatting .

Gonna check the full albums of those tunes.

Eric Dolphy, its great, but still "classic jazz" for me. Always remember I read Miles Davis saying his music was too sad.

User Info Menu

I know what you mean ManA. I'm an old guy and have been listening to these cuts for over 50 years. I think that makes it 'classic' right there.

Maybe what you want isn't here yet. You might have to invent 'ancient modern' yourself :)

What do you have to say about Robert Glasper?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by man-argentina
    But I would like something more experimental.

I know Coltrane could fit on that description, but... someone elese ? Also already heard everything of Mingus.

Preferly minor tunnings. Dark tunnings.

Not something like Miles Davis, and no effects (at least in the 70s 80s fashion ). Something with a classic resemble , but with more modern melodies, and not standard tunnings. Not Metheny.

Also not "avant garde", or "free jazz", and full of disonances.

Yeah, @ccroft may be right -- you may have to come up with this genre yourself, since these are tricky (if not paradoxical) qualities!

Mike Baggetta's music (and this is just one video -- check out his albums!) meets some of your criteria:

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I know what you mean ManA. I'm an old guy and have been listening to these cuts for over 50 years. I think that makes it 'classic' right there.

Maybe what you want isn't here yet. You might have to invent 'ancient modern' yourself

What do you have to say about Robert Glasper?
    Havent listened Robert Glasper yet, so thats what Im going to do right now !

U know, even if jazz been my latest love (been listenig ton of jazz since last 2 years) sometimes Im tired or the "jazz sound", the play is great, the skills are great, but... always sound like jazz, and that tires me a bit.

And I think those great jazz players could play something more dofferent.

And yeap, easy to talk, should I do it myself .

User Info Menu

Have you heard Bitches Brew by Miles Davis? He took things in a different direction with that.

User Info Menu

Also In A Silent Way:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Have you heard Bitches Brew by Miles Davis? He took things in a different direction with that.
    Excellent stuff, but the OP said, "No Miles."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Excellent stuff, but the OP said, "No Miles."

Sure, but he wants jazz that doesn’t sound like jazz, and is a bit more experimental, but isn’t avant-garde, isn’t Coltrane, isn’t later Blue Note because that still sounds too much like jazz. Sounds a bit like he doesn’t want it to have a swing rhythm maybe.

Doesn’t leave much, and the only thing I can think of is Miles late 60s/early 70s stuff. As he’s only been listening for 2 years maybe he hasn’t heard all of Miles’ output.

By the way the tune he gave as an example of what he doesn’t want to hear is Duck Soup by Art Blakey, which is just a very conventional sounding neo-bebop type tune, so that doesn’t really help much.

User Info Menu

Sure, but he wants jazz that doesn’t sound like jazz, and is a bit more experimental, but isn’t avant-garde, isn’t Coltrane, isn’t later Blue Note because that still sounds too much like jazz. Sounds a bit like he doesn’t want it to have a swing rhythm maybe.

Doesn’t leave much, and the only thing I can think of is Miles late 60s/early 70s stuff. As he’s only been listening for 2 years maybe he hasn’t heard all of Miles’ output.

By the way the tune he gave as an example of what he doesn’t want to hear is Duck Soup by Art Blakey, which is just a very conventional sounding neo-bebop type tune, so that doesn’t really help much.

I know, that's why I think he's going to have a tough time with this one ... Not black, but not white; experimentally melodic, but not free; etc.

User Info Menu

Perhaps you might like the Gary Burton Quartet (contains Metheny).

User Info Menu

EST (Esbjörn Svensson Trio) was lauded for sounding ”fresh”. It’s very consonant music maybe a bit in the Philip Glass direction.

Wayne Krantz does some pretty interesting stuff.

Mark Giuliana (drummer on Bowie’s Blackstar album) mixes modern beats with jazz in a way that actually works. He does jazz covers of electronica like Autechre. And if you haven’t, check out Autechre - if Coltrane were a synth programmer it might sound like that.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Mark Guiliana, the Donny McCaslin quartet (the blackstar band) might be your thing.

or maybe not!

Who knows haha

User Info Menu

The Necks.

User Info Menu

Please could someone suggest for me some Mongolian nose flute music which is not played by Mongolians, is not played through the nose, does not involve a flute, and is not musical.

It’s my favourite music, but I have been listening to it for 2 hours and I am getting a bit bored with it.

User Info Menu

Eh, I’ll repost this and see if it pleases the OP’s jaded palette

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The Necks.

I need to listen to more Necks. I was introduced to them by a left wing podcast that informed me that this is what Marxism sounds like. Not sure about that, but a very original band: I do like free improv that doesn’t sound like free improv.

User Info Menu

Hell, buy my album
    https://balagancafeband.bandcamp.com/releases

progressive string trio jazz. Critically acclaimed don’t cha know
    Balagan Cafe Band: Balagan Cafe Band album review @ All About Jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Eh, I’ll repost this and see if it pleases the OP’s jaded palette

Thanks for that - my kind of shirt, great tune & even an old ship in the background.

If i'm being picky a shirt that loud should have long sleeves.

User Info Menu

Please could someone suggest for me some Mongolian nose flute music which is not played by Mongolians, is not played through the nose, does not involve a flute, and is not musical.

It’s my favourite music, but I have been listening to it for 2 hours and I am getting a bit bored with it.

......... - " and on horseback, but recorded in a yurt. "......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    ......... - " and on horseback, but recorded in a yurt. "......
    My trio are working on it, the logistics are proving a little tricky.

There is a more experimental jazz ?-74c495d2-6757-4c71-8202-98aec643920b-jpeg