The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75

Heard this, 'Cakewalkin' Babies' and Hooker's original 'Boogie Chillen' for the first time as a teen.

Back then I had to wait for miracles to be revealed on the radio.

I was fortunate to witness a bit of the end of the Trad Jazz Revival.

Thanks for reminding me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

a latter day louie A classic

dukes- solitude

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    His lips gave him a lot of trouble over the years. One fellow musician said they were hard as a piece of wood. I've read he sometimes removed the calluses with a razor blade.
    I accidentally clicked an article in a medical website showing pictures of the modern procedure to correct this...is it 'bad technique' ?

playing too much ? I don't know any trumpet players any more - Looks horrific...

Humphrey Lyttleton (^^) on first meeting Armstrong, was handed a tin of lip balm, 'let me lay some cream on ya'.

Lytleton said it ruined his playing for a couple of years...

User Info Menu

I accidentally clicked an article in a medical website showing pictures of the modern procedure to correct this...is it 'bad technique' ?

playing too much ? I don't know any trumpet players any more - Looks horrific...

Humphrey Lyttleton (^^) on first meeting Armstrong, was handed a tin of lip balm, 'let me lay some cream on ya'.

Prolly cause it had some Swiss Kriss in it LOL! that would change anybody up.

It’s weird the occupational hazards of musicians...lip sores, calluses, bad teeth, subcutaneous emphysema for horn blowers...performing is a precarious life for sure!

User Info Menu

Pianist Hal Galper says "musicians are athletes of the small muscles."

Stan Getz grew up playing from an early age and his physiognomy developed accordingly.
    This allowed him to employ a 'double-lip' embouchure and use a 'heavy set-up,' that is, reed & mouthpiece.
    This translates to "impossible for mere mortals."
    Being able to perform physically (not to mention musically) in an extreme way allowed him become "The Sound."

Studio great Wayne Bergeron had force injury problems in his youth.
    He says Maynard (in who's outfit he played) had the high notes at fourteen; a natural.

Pops hurt himself and the world was reduced.

This stuff is the source of endless talk and effort today with horn students.

Here is Adam Rapa making seem easy. Sure.

User Info Menu

Love this duet with Ella on "Stompin' At The Savoy." The ending improv is classic. Never hear this without feeling happy.

User Info Menu

^ your man herb ellis really wailin on that one!!

great band

Louis Armstrong – vocals; trumpet
    Ella Fitzgerald – vocals
    Oscar Peterson – piano
    Herb Ellis – guitar
    Ray Brown – bass
    Louie Bellson – drums

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Pianist Hal Galper says "musicians are athletes of the small muscles."

Stan Getz grew up playing from an early age and his physiognomy developed accordingly.
    This allowed him to employ a 'double-lip' embouchure and use a 'heavy set-up,' that is, reed & mouthpiece.
    This translates to "impossible for mere mortals."
    Being able to perform physically (not to mention musically) in an extreme way allowed him become "The Sound."

Studio great Wayne Bergeron had force injury problems in his youth.
    He says Maynard (in who's outfit he played) had the high notes at fourteen; a natural.

Pops hurt himself and the world was reduced.

This stuff is the source of endless talk and effort today with horn students.

Here is Adam Rapa making seem easy. Sure.

There's a video of Tommy Emmanuel's welcome to Berklee speech when he shows the students his hands, which are very different after years of playing chords with his thumb over the neck.

Denis DiBlasio's youtube chanel has some great Maynard Ferguson stories...

User Info Menu

There's a video of Tommy Emmanuel's welcome to Berklee speech when he shows the students his hands, which are very different after years of playing chords with his thumb over the neck.

Denis DiBlasio's youtube chanel has some great Maynard Ferguson stories...
    11 months ago...

Louis Armstrong Article-4bb70055-0528-4242-8bd5-789ea844ef68-jpeg

User Info Menu

From the New York Times:

In the mid-1930s, during an extended tour of Europe, Louis Armstrong found himself in Germany with a split lip, a fairly common injury for him. But by luck, he had recently made the acquaintance of Franz Schuritz, a trombonist who also happened to be the inventor of Ansatz-Crème, an invigorating lip balm. Armstrong was an immediate and lifelong convert.... By the mid-1950s, Ansatz-Crème was endorsed by Armstrong and the tins were rebranded with his name getting top billing.

What does (^^) mean? I have a great admiration for Humphrey Lyttelton.

User Info Menu

are you sure it was lip balm?

Louis Armstrong and the Great Swiss Kriss Evacuation | David Boles, Blogs

User Info Menu

dot75,

Thank you mucho for the 'hedzup' on Denis DiBlasio.

Found this searching him on youtube, a recent interview with "the Jazz Video Guy."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well Humph thought it was....maybe he got the wrong end of the stick (yes. that was intended) & mis applied it (!?)

Heard it from the man himself - A band I was in shared a stage with him at a a gig once & I thanked him for his Radio Prog

- almost the only place to hear jazz in the UK pre internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

From the New York Times:

In the mid-1930s, during an extended tour of Europe, Louis Armstrong found himself in Germany with a split lip, a fairly common injury for him. But by luck, he had recently made the acquaintance of Franz Schuritz, a trombonist who also happened to be the inventor of Ansatz-Crème, an invigorating lip balm. Armstrong was an immediate and lifelong convert.... By the mid-1950s, Ansatz-Crème was endorsed by Armstrong and the tins were rebranded with his name getting top billing.

What does (^^) mean? I have a great admiration for Humphrey Lyttelton.
    I'n not sure I'd want my lips 'Invigorating' but I'll ask the internet what's in it...

Me too, ^^ was referencing my previous post in case any unfortunate forum members don't know him...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    dot75,

Thank you mucho for the 'hedzup' on Denis DiBlasio.

Found this searching him on youtube, a recent interview with "the Jazz Video Guy."

There's some great content - not least the stories about life on the road...

I found him via a forum link to his video extolling Jerry Coker's books - a study group I didn't join