Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

the great maestro's birthday being celebrated this day

vince guaraldi style

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I can't count the times I've been at Mass and sang this as we processed out.

User Info Menu

I'll be attending virtual birthday party for him tomorrow night...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I'll be attending virtual birthday party for him tomorrow night...
    the 17th is his baptismal date..there's a bit of a question as to the actual birthdate it seems, but in those days it was customary to baptize within 24 hours of birth..so the 16th has been generally accepted

his 250th b-day!

my local classical radio station playing beethoven all day!

have a virtually great time rob!...

cheers

User Info Menu

as per chuck b

hard to beat his set from belgian tv 1965...superb showman still in those days

belgian guitarist willy donni on harmony meteor thru valco made gretsch amp....great band!

here's roll over beethoven, but whole set is worth watchin ...& on u-tube

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    as per chuck b

hard to beat his set from belgian tv 1965...superb showman still in those days

belgian guitarist willy donni on harmony meteor thru valco made gretsch amp....great band!

here's roll over beethoven, but whole set is worth watchin ...& on u-tube

cheers
    He *almost* got those uptight Belgians to stand up and dance...there was some spirited knee slapping going on there.

Not to diverge too much from good old Ludwig Van, but my dad said that in the late 50's when rock n roll started everyone assumed Chuck was a white guy and Elvis was black, just by hearing them on the radio. It was quite a long while before they realized the truth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

Met my wife-to-be at an annual Beethoven's birthday celebration. And Schillers "Ode to Joy" as set to music by the inestimable Ludwig van Beethoven, was often heard echoing from the ceramic-lined restrooms of our college courtesy of my two best pals and myself, along with other favorites. Oddly enough, the head of the music department* was infamous for repeatedly saying, "I found the collected works of Beethoven in my garbage can this morning. I left them there." And people thought our UFO study group was nuts.**

* A J. Cage acolyte, truth be told.

** TBH, one or two of us weren't all that tightly wrapped. Who is?

User Info Menu

More than you probably wanted to know about the possible causes of Beethoven's deafness:

Aetiology of Ludwig van Beethoven’s hearing impairment: hypotheses over the past 100 years – A systematic review | SpringerLink

One of my daughter's physicians had been a speech pathologist before going to medical school, and wrote a paper on Beethoven's deafness. She attributed it to combined or cochlear otosclerosis (Patricia Shearer--reference 17). (As an aside I will mention she was a VERY attractive lady...redhead...)

Being an infectious disease physician I should perhaps be "pulling for" syphilis, but I don't think that's likely. I think it would have been very rare for a slowly progressive hearing loss to occur without other cardinal features of neurosyphilis, which generally, as in the case of Scott Joplin, trended toward insanity and paralysis.

That's not too say he didn't have syphilis though...it was pretty common among artists of his day. As was, unfortunately, alcoholism and cirrhosis, which led to his death at 52.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

You sing this at MASS? The translation must have taken quite a few liberties.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

One of the most profound artists ever in History. His Sonata No. 8 in Cm, Op13, "Pathetique" is one of the most beautiful compositions ever written. Here's one of the best versions played by Wilhelm Kempff.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

And 56 years later, "Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est."

User Info Menu

Best composition of all time imo. I can't stand to hear a mortal play it. Rather hear it executed perfectly by a computer as written by the genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Best composition of all time imo. I can't stand to hear a mortal play it. Rather hear it executed perfectly by a computer as written by the genius.

That sounds horrible!

Op 27 no 1 does not get enough love, the rhythm in the last movement is just incredible (and far better time than MIDI)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55

I prefer to read it from the score rather than have it profaned by mere air molecules. (Jk)

User Info Menu

In fact by writing it down at all Beethoven was committing an unfathomable crime, by encouraging mere mortals to play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    In fact by writing it down at all Beethoven was committing an unfathomable crime, by encouraging mere mortals to play it.
    Well, at least Wes never made this mistake!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I prefer to read it from the score rather than have it profaned by mere air molecules. (Jk)
    But that is a cheap imitation, I only travel to Germany to read the original manuscripts

User Info Menu

Yas