The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

On a related note, I almost always have a page of manuscript paper with me. At home, at my day job office, and a folded sheet in my "man purse." Whenever a musical idea pops into my head, a cool lick, a phrase, a chord progression, I write it down before I forget it. The only problem is, I have these musical ideas lying around all over the place.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-09-2020 at 01:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can buy musical notebooks in varying sizes for writing down ideas. I, also, use simple file folders for individual sheets of sheet music divided into: Jazz, Classical, Latin, R@B/Soul, etc. and various notes/ideas. Indispensable.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I am sorry for your loss. I have to admit this is something I have never thought about. I've kept a few scratch notes for things I've studied on manuscript paper, compositions and the like, but I really don't know what else I would put in a logbook. What do you put in yours?

I've also never heard of any "jazz greats" doing this. Any idea what records they were keeping? Compositions would be one obvious thing, of course.

I might be missing out on something that would help promote my progress.
    I recall a story about Hendrix having a guitar stolen which had a bunch of stuff related to original songs he was working on that were not yet recorded. He was talking about this while being driven around by a friend and at one point in a fit of frustration punched his friend in the arm, as one does. Outraged, the friend cried "Don't you ever touch me again!" Instantly contrite, Hendrix softly replied "I will always touch you." This was related by the friend later to Rolling Stone or some such.

Anyway, it happens to the best of us.

User Info Menu

Any luck getting your logbook back, AlsoRan? I would hate to lose such a thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chasranney
    Any luck getting your logbook back, AlsoRan? I would hate to lose such a thing.
    They have not called me back, and I left messages. I will try again tomorrow if I can get enough of a break during the day to call them. Job has been super busy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    They have not called me back, and I left messages. I will try again tomorrow if I can get enough of a break during the day to call them. Job has been super busy.
    Bummer. Good luck. When you call, you might ask to talk to the head of Housekeeping. That was the advice I got from the front desk last time I left something behind. They had tossed it out already, unfortunately, but some hotels do have a "lost and found" for things left behind in vacated rooms. Let us know how it goes...!

User Info Menu

Man, just read most of the thread and hated to hear you lost your log book. All the content, entries over the years, etc. I'm assuming you didn't get it back. I have wanted to start a log book for all things musical. Something about writing it down helps to unload your brain, but also internalize the material when needed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryentzer
    Man, just read most of the thread and hated to hear you lost your log book. All the content, entries over the years, etc. I'm assuming you didn't get it back. I have wanted to start a log book for all things musical. Something about writing it down helps to unload your brain, but also internalize the material when needed.
    I will take the sympathy. I never could get through to housekeeping. Kept getting messages. I have moved on, believe me. Its not like I was going to write the next hit song...

User Info Menu

I’m still convinced that somewhere a hotel employee is perusing the stolen notebook late into the night, convinced that somewhere in those pages is the key to jazz guitar stardom...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’m still convinced that somewhere a hotel employee is perusing the stolen notebook late into the night, convinced that somewhere in those pages is the key to jazz guitar stardom...
    Next thing you know it'll be published by Mel Bay....

User Info Menu

Or . . . bringing it to an Egyptologist for perusal as Ramses II lost memoirs from the Battle of Kadesh.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I will take the sympathy. I never could get through to housekeeping. Kept getting messages. I have moved on, believe me. Its not like I was going to write the next hit song...
    It will be in the lost property cupboard. Send them an email.

User Info Menu

It seems that we are all more upset about it than AlsoRan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It will be in the lost property cupboard.
    You seem to know rather a lot about it sir, would you mind coming with us and answering some questions?

Lost My Music Logbook in a Hotel Room last month!-8e229264-1dcf-4498-bd45-4a0ab22c062c-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It will be in the lost property cupboard. Send them an email.
    I will give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

User Info Menu

It seems that we are all more upset about it than AlsoRan.
    I can't let these things take away my peace. I try to roll with the changes without fretting and handwringing too much. lol.

User Info Menu

I can't let these things take away my peace. I try to roll with the changes without fretting and handwringing too much. lol.

I'd skip the handwringing but keep on fretting