The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

In my endless search for nice solos, I came across this one that a club owner posted of one of his guest acts. The owner called it "the best live solo" he has heard in 12 years of owning a club. I found a few lines to take away for Jazz. I must admit, I like the uniqueness of it. Any thoughts on the solo and maybe, why the club owner loved it so much?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very original style and approach to guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Very original style and approach to guitar.
    Steve,
    I actually thought of you when I saw this video, since you have an R&B background. I am not sure how you teach someone to play in this style. He must have lived it.

Take Care.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Oh it’s him. He’s very good.

User Info Menu

I also like this impossibly fresh faced young fella, Chris Buck

User Info Menu

This was fun;

User Info Menu

Space - tension - resolution, as a dear friend of mine always said. And control thereof.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris

Good find, kris! And, he says the solo section is only two chords. Wow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh it’s him. He’s very good.
    That's what I thought too as soon as I clicked on the link...oh that guy...super tasty player. Ariel often tunes his guitar down quite a bit which no doubt adds the that vibe.

User Info Menu

S'ok! Two-chord vamps don't do it for me like they used to. Anyway, basically, stay away from clichés and play it like you mean it.

User Info Menu

Here's a jazzy blues with slide. I like it.

User Info Menu

If that's R@B, I'll eat my shoelaces! Sounds like dope-smoking music of the late 60's. Different strokes . . . Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    If that's R@B, I'll eat my shoelaces! Sounds like dope-smoking music of the late 60's. Different strokes . . . Play live . . . Marinero
    You made me think.

R&B, to be honest, is probably not what I would call this. Maybe more of a Neo Soul sound? It tends to sound a bit psychedelic, often with the same type of reverb and almost "space" like sounds. Although, sometimes it can be very dry, too.

The first music jam that I went to over a decade ago, they had young musicians who I think came more from a church background. They played a lot of long vamps and the guitarist had a Boss GT-8 with which he made all kinds of sounds. The music had a definite groove. I can appreciate it much better now then I could then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Steve,
    I actually thought of you when I saw this video, since you have an R&B background. I am not sure how you teach someone to play in this style. He must have lived it.

Take Care.
    Me? I'm a conformist wanker who only cares about money and women. This guy is a guitar player.