Hi All,

I hope you are all doing well and hanging in there. The US is getting nailed hard with this buggy.

Ive a pretty cool guitar stand but my guitar rests in it a bit funny, I guess. My understanding is the guitar neck should rest on the hook on the stand but for me it appears to rest mostly on the low and high E tuners. Would this put undue stress on the tuners over time?

I'm prolly just paranoid, you know, but oh well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A picture would be useful. It might even be worth 1000 words.

Most guitar stands that hang the guitar from the headstock have the guitar rest on the wood of the headstock, not on the tuning pegs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    A picture would be useful. It might even be worth 1000 words.

Most guitar stands that hang the guitar from the headstock have the guitar rest on the wood of the headstock, not on the tuning pegs.
    Ditto. I would be leery of that much sustained pressure on the tuners. It might not cause visible damage, but tuners aren't designed for that kind of load-bearing.

heres a photo.

i think to be safe i'll wrap that hook with something that puts the weight on the wood of the headstock. no harm as long as it secures the guitar.

I really appreciate the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images new guitar stand for my heritage-headstock-jpg 

User Info Menu

I don't like hanging guitars from the headstock at all, but what do I know.

Plus archtops seem heavy on the body end. Is it really even a "stand" if it hangs?

User Info Menu

How easy will it be to hang it, like if you’re in a hurry are you going to ensure the pegs are not going to be the resting place? For myself it would have to idiot proof in case I continue when I’m too tired (that’s how I killed a trussrod once) or absent minded (like tripping a cable on a guitar on a stand breaking the tuner’s housing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

From your photo it looks like a wall hanger. Why not seek out a stable floor stand? Hercules, On Stage, Gator and other brands offer quality products.

User Info Menu

Those arms can be bent inwards to ensure that they fit under the headstock, not under the tuning machines.

Thanks All,

Jabberwocky's advice to bend the arms in did the trick. I really should have known to try that before bothering you all.

After reading GTRMan's reply I did some soul searching (read: some googling) about hanging guitars and indeed it is not a given its a safe practice despite its popularity. The argument in favor of hanging the guitar that makes sense to me is that the neck is under so much tension from the strings anyways that any more tension introduced by hanging it is negligible, in my lifetime anyways. But, yeah, who knows. To be safe I will not keep a guitar on it for more than a couple days between playing it.

Its a nice floor stand made of walnut. Sounds like the hook is a wall hook though. Its pretty stable (I don't have to tiptoe around it) but I can't put a guitar on in a hurry. I gotta be "mindful". Thats ok.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I learned a lot.

Stay safe.