Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

No affiliation, etc etc..

Just as close as I'll ever get to the ( coolest ) bookstore in Paris - or maybe anywhere.....

Friends of Shakespeare and Company

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I was in Paris, I would go there to escape the Parisians for a while.

User Info Menu

I slept on the floor there one night...beat that for cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I slept on the floor there one night...beat that for cool

No kidding, Rob ?? Damn.......with the good fortune to breathe some of that James Joyce and Hemingway air !! I couldn't beat that with a stick !

Ok so I splurged and bought one of their coffee cups last year.......And I bought and use one of their small monogrammed book tote bags for picks and tuners.....

You can tell us that story about how you managed sleeping there whenever you get a chance Rob. : )

Dennis

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed this book by Sylvia:

Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach

User Info Menu

I've been a big Joyce fan for many years, decades now. When I was in my late teens, both parents had died, and I wandered around completely lost. I spent some time hitch hiking in Ireland doing Joyce-related things, and after that found myself in Paris, sleeping rough. I will not paint a false picture: I had no money, begged for food, and stole books to read, digesting, as it were, more of the latter than the former. Shakespeare and Co was a good place to steal books as they were in English. When I say steal, I should really say borrowed, because I would sneak the books back into the shop after I'd read them.

On one of my visits I overheard a conversation between a staff member and an English Literature student from the US. It turned out they allowed poor students to sleep on the floor if they were in Paris for just a few days. So a couple of days later I informed them I was doing research on James Joyce, but had nowhere to stay - all of which was true, just not officially so through a university. Well, I stayed one night, but heard so much snoring and way too much pseudo-intellectual BS, I preferred to sleep rough outside.

I'll subscribe to their new money-raising scheme for one year. I feel I owe them at least that.

I could write a book...

User Info Menu

I've been a big Joyce fan for many years, decades now. When I was in my late teens, both parents had died, and I wandered around completely lost. I spent some time hitch hiking in Ireland doing Joyce-related things, and after that found myself in Paris, sleeping rough. I will not paint a false picture: I had no money, begged for food, and stole books to read, digesting, as it were, more of the latter than the former. Shakespeare and Co was a good place to steal books as they were in English. When I say steal, I should really say borrowed, because I would sneak the books back into the shop after I'd read them.

On one of my visits I overheard a conversation between a staff member and an English Literature student from the US. It turned out they allowed poor students to sleep on the floor if they were in Paris for just a few days. So a couple of days later I informed them I was doing research on James Joyce, but had nowhere to stay - all of which was true, just not officially so through a university. Well, I stayed one night, but heard so much snoring and way too much pseudo-intellectual BS, I preferred to sleep rough outside.

I'll subscribe to their new money-raising scheme for one year. I feel I owe them at least that.

I could write a book...
    Thanks Rob - great story !

Yes you should write a book. And if you ever did I promise to meet you at S & Co. for the signing !

And in case you need ideas for a cover :

Shakespeare & Co.  - FYI-s-l640-jpgShakespeare & Co.  - FYI-dupuytren_1920b-jpgShakespeare & Co.  - FYI-31_jlp-500x623-jpg

Thanks again Rob.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Thanks, Dennis. I know the first two photos, but not the last.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Dennis. I know the first two photos, but not the last.
    That's Jack London on the right and one of his fellow travelers from People of the Abyss. I've read almost all his novels this year and FYI the hard cover collection of his photography is incredible.

He's been a real tough act to follow !

User Info Menu

Well, it's a good photo. Here's some of his own: The World Through Jack London’s Eyes

I've only read The Call of the Wild, and White Fang, both great books.

User Info Menu

Well, it's a good photo. Here's some of his own: The World Through Jack London’s Eyes

I've only read The Call of the Wild, and White Fang, both great books.
    ..... -and for my money the novels that follow just get better !

Yes his photography is something !