The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

excellent new short documentary on morricone's studio & methods with some of the shift/session players with whom he collaborated..an interesting peek into his genius

"CELEBRATING ENNIO MORRICONE: THE SECRETS BEHIND HIS GENIUS"

To commemorate what would have been Ennio Morricone’s 92nd birthday, his closest collaborators have reunited for the first time in years at Maestro Morricone’s studio in Rome – the historic Forum Studios, founded by Maestro Morricone in 1970 together with Armando Trovajoli, Luis Bacalov and Piero Piccioni.

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    excellent new short documentary on morricone's studio & methods with some of the shift/session players with whom he collaborated..an interesting peek into his genius

"CELEBRATING ENNIO MORRICONE: THE SECRETS BEHIND HIS GENIUS"

To commemorate what would have been Ennio Morricone’s 92nd birthday, his closest collaborators have reunited for the first time in years at Maestro Morricone’s studio in Rome – the historic Forum Studios, founded by Maestro Morricone in 1970 together with Armando Trovajoli, Luis Bacalov and Piero Piccioni.

cheers
    A big THANK YOU !!!!! for this link, it's wonderful !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

ennio with trumpet

ennio's father played jazz trumpet, as did a young ennio...however he preferred composition to improvisation

tho his fave jazzer was chet baker...when chet went to italy in the early 60's, he got busted for narcotics...when he was released, his first sessions were with ennio morricone

cheers

User Info Menu

This lp drives my girlfriend crazy but i love it. Ennio on trumpet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    ah, the soundtrack of my youth, I've seen all the spaghetti westerns so many times I think I know every line
    p.s. if you haven't seen it check out Leone's last directed film Duck, You Sucker! Rod Steiger, James Coburn, Romolo Valli...

User Info Menu

Super!

Thank you.

User Info Menu

4 pieces for guitar...written by maestro morricone in 1957

very good history & overview here- (great site)

Four Pieces for guitar by Ennio Morricone on #neuguitars #blog – NeuGuitars

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ah, the soundtrack of my youth, I've seen all the spaghetti westerns so many times I think I know every line
    p.s. if you haven't seen it check out Leone's last directed film Duck, You Sucker! Rod Steiger, James Coburn, Romolo Valli...
    Saw DUS with Mrs k in the theater when it first ran. Coburn and Steiger were both brilliant. Epic film, still impactful a half-century later. Got on a SW kick last year and streamed a slew of them. We have Yojimbo, the inspiration for AFoD (and a zillion others) on VHS, but we really need it on DVD. Hoping for a thrift-shop find!

Duck, You Sucker is a stone masterpiece, IMHO.

User Info Menu

kurosawas yojimbo and seven samurai (remade as the magnificent seven) were groundbreaking and highly influential! great scores as well!

fumio hayasaka who scored seven samurai, died young, but was highly influential ...he was mentor to masaru sato who scored yojimbo

cheers

User Info Menu

4 pieces for guitar...written by maestro morricone in 1957

very good history & overview here- (great site)

Four Pieces for guitar by Ennio Morricone on #neuguitars #blog – NeuGuitars

cheers
    It's interesting to compare Morricone's and Bernard Herrmann's legit pieces.
    Morricone's were completely out there, while Herrmann's were pretty similar to his film music. Herrmann's "Symphony" is my fave piece of legit music. I got to hear it performed live at Carnegie Hall, conducted by Leon Botstein. Incredible experience!

User Info Menu

Morricone was great...he could be so weird, or so lush and beautiful.
    I worked up a solo guitar arrangement of music from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". Love that twangy guitar!

User Info Menu

kurosawas yojimbo and seven samurai (remade as the magnificent seven) were groundbreaking and highly influential! great scores as well!

fumio hayasaka who scored seven samurai, died young, but was highly influential ...he was mentor to masaru sato who scored yojimbo

cheers
    Yojimbo was the inspiration for Last Man Standing with Bruces Willis and Dern, with the score by Ry Cooder. I was surprised by how much the Cooder material aped the Yojimbo soundtrack. Great stuff!

User Info Menu

I did a short series of thematic composition a few months ago with some Morricone influence. Here's my favorite from the series if anyone would like to check it out:

User Info Menu

actually the now classic a fistful of dollars was the first "unofficial" remake of yojimbo...so much so that spaghetti western master sergio leone, had to make a pay out to kurosawa for his "borrowings"...of course maestro morricone wrote the score for a fistful...and a classic it is

cheers

User Info Menu

actually the now classic a fistful of dollars was the first "unofficial" remake of yojimbo...so much so that spaghetti western master sergio leone, had to make a pay out to kurosawa for his "borrowings"...of course maestro morricone wrote the score for a fistful...and a classic it is

cheers
    i

It was only after watching Once Upon a Time in the West for the umpteenth time that I realized that it was the prequel to A Fist Full of Dollars. As evidence , note the evolution of the Eastwood character's costume.

User Info Menu

That didn't sound right, so I found this. Sergio Leone filmography - Wikipedia

In any case, Once Upon a Time in The West is my favorite movie. Great main characters, with operatic themes for each. The one for Claudia ("Mrs. McBain") was breathtaking, as was Claudia herself. :0

User Info Menu

cardinale con zappa

cheers

User Info Menu

^
    Super rare florentine Switchmaster too