The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wonder if others are bit like myself? I find that my guitar playing goes in spurts. I don't have a set time to practice or play is just is whenever I feel like it and sometimes I do force myself. I don't gig any more and retired from my regular occupation so I have the time but things do take it up. I have to take care of my 21 year old son in that he is still at home in college and I support him in is studies. I repair guitars but not full time and that is just hit or miss. My big love is cycling and running and I try to do that everyday one or the other, sometime both. The deacon duties are always around but that comes pretty easy for me unlike guitar playing.

So I play in between all the other stuff. I reached a point that chops and such fine I just need to sit down and play tunes. Memorize and play them and then improvise. Sometimes I go days in a row where I play 2 hours or more. I even get lucky and may go a week of playing everyday at least a hour. I even at times will play have a 3 hour period time of playing. All good but then I stop and sometimes don't play for days in a row. I might pick up a guitar if I am working on one or simply play a bit but I can go 4-5 days and not touch one.

It is not a guilt trip or wanting to get better as such but just generally moving forward. After playing these 47 years from age 12 I love to play but I don't just still like to sit down and play hours on end. I did that in college and my youth teaching but now playing more than about 2 hours I get a bit bored. Could explain why I am not killer great player but at some point natural talent goes a long way, I was not born with it for the guitar.

So is anyone else sort of a up and down player like myself?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes. 67, still working because I enjoy what I've gotten to in the last couple of years in video post production testing and teaching.

And we've got an 8.5 acre place, with plenty of work to maintain the grounds and several buildings. Plenty of tractor time.

And three adult kids either here or driving distance, three grandkids, so some people that we love to visit.

So some weeks I have several hours on guitar, others very little.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

True confessions. Not a pro but I play most every day for at least an hour. My issue is that I don’t record myself. I really need to. It always bugs me that I don’t.

User Info Menu

I work at home on a computer. Guitar practice is my escape from the digital and return to the analogue world. I play two or three sessions a day, for up to an hour each time.

User Info Menu

Guitar is just guitar for me. At I'll play 4 hours a day ... and at time I won't touch a guitar for months ... Usually the high intensive days are motivated by falling in love with learning a tune and then when that is in place I lose motivation again for quite a while.

It is what it is .. On the other hand I like looking at everyone of my 8 guitars ranging from US standard level instruments to high end guitars every day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I wonder if others are bit like myself?
    Yes, I'm not practicing much these days. I want to get more disciplined with my practice.

If I could stopped looking at the TV, my phone, the internet, I could capture a bunch of practice time.

Motivation is more difficult being older, retired and a hobby guitar player.