Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 111 of 111

User Info Menu

That's me playing modes - all the right notes just in the wrong order

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greveost
    I never said that, I said piano has it's limitations, just like any other instrument. And it was a response to your opinion that the piano is limitless. Which of course it isn't, not by any stretch of the imagination.
    Even lawsonstone professed the piano was “limitless” and that made it boring.

So who are you arguing with?

User Info Menu

I don’t buy this theory, which is only prevalent on this guitar forum, that pianists play in such a way that one can’t determine one chorus from the last. Who the heck are you listening too? Might this simply be pianist envy because it’s renowned to be the greatest instrument from classical to jazz? There’s no need for such envy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Even lawsonstone professed the piano was “limitless” and that made it boring.

So who are you arguing with?

I was replying to you and what you wrote.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Everyone should play whichever instrument they like and listen to whatever they like.

I like listening to most instruments, but I go through phases of liking different things. One of the things I like about jazz is there is always another great musician out there you haven’t heard, it’s inexhaustible.

I even took up the sax for a while many years ago, but eventually realised it was getting nowhere so I stuck to the guitar. Which was for the best, as I could never have put in the hours on the sax late at night when the kids were in bed. But I could practise quietly in the evenings on the guitar, and that’s how I progressed.

I like to think you can learn something from all instruments and apply it to the guitar (if you want to!).

Maybe not the bagpipes though...
    Your own Prince Charles is quoted as saying, "A Gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipes.....and doesn't"

User Info Menu

Reading through the bickering here, I think most arguments about jazz can be ended by simply saying "Louis Armstrong".

Much as anyone may or may not love jazz guitar, the historical reality is it was primarily a rhythm section instrument, if it was present at all, and not a driving force in the evolution of the music. That's why Charlie Christian was such a big deal. Big Band era, BeBop, hard bop, cool jazz, avant-garde, guitar is not a huge presence.
    Arguable, of course, but the point is, if you only listen to guitar players you would miss a lot of jazz. One of the reasons I focused on my other instrument, trumpet, so much when I first started, was it's relevance to the music I was into. That, and in modern times, it seems like everybody plays guitar, anyway.

User Info Menu

That was then; this is now. Bands are smaller and amplification is better than in the swing period. We have seventy years, or more, of virtuoso playing as our guide. Besides, the guitar is so important in contemporary music that it would be perverse for jazz to ignore it.

User Info Menu

Guitar def has become a much more prominent instrument in the jazz spectrum over time. Big thanks to rock, etc.
    Benson, Metheny, Scofield, McLaughlin didn't get popular/well known while sticking exclusively to their jazz background.

There are tons of really fine Jazz Guitar players these days. Incredible playing and stuff. Somehow, though, I feel that bird has flown. A lot of music has become so heavily guitar saturated and used in a thousand different ways, genres, sometimes I just have a difficult time hearing it as an instrument itself and rather just a faceless tool. Even the classic sounds and setups seem so cliche. I guess a lot of contemporary music is just rehashing old stuff. Rambling........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Guitar def has become a much more prominent instrument in the jazz spectrum over time. Big thanks to rock, etc.
    Benson, Metheny, Scofield, McLaughlin didn't get popular/well known while sticking exclusively to their jazz background.

This

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    That was then; this is now. Bands are smaller and amplification is better than in the swing period. We have seventy years, or more, of virtuoso playing as our guide. Besides, the guitar is so important in contemporary music that it would be perverse for jazz to ignore it.
    Jazz can't ignore it, even if it would like to. But it is not a problem anyway.

Actually, just BECAUSE there are so many great sax and piano players in Jazz, and the history is full of them, the guitar is STILL pretty much unexplored territory (well, almost, at least in comparison to piano and sax).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    One can observe that we have the inverse happening as well - rock and pop has mostly ignored sax and horn players, except in supporting roles and the occasional sax solo buried in some ambient bridge...