The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 111

User Info Menu

My all time favorite thing is Chinatown theme from the movie. There are several versions but I dig this the most. Love the piano there so much.
    Love Theme (From "Chinatown"), a song by Jerry Goldsmith, J.A.C. Redford, Carl Allen, Kenny Kirkland, Reginald Veal, Terence Blanchard on Spotify

Imho, there is not so much reason to be a fan or hater of some generic thing in music like genre, instrument or player.
    Sometimes this happens but I think its much easier to appreciate individual pieces and not worry about liking the entire catalogue...
    But to OP, these things may take time. I hated to listen to 3x90min tapes of classical music for exams so much that I grew to kinda hate the whole thing.
    Not hate.. but you know, I avoided listening that in my own time. 20 years later and I have my car radio on classical channel and its such a pleasure now.
    Same thing happened in jazz college. Now, after finishing some years back, I love to hear jazz guitar solos that "talk". Not into anything crazy... at least yet
    That is quite common, we've discussed this with some friends (non-musicians) - they get a bit older and tend to skip pop and rock and also get to like those.. hm.. more complex and sophisticated things more and more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Piano’s a funny one. A blank canvas as an instrument, kind of a machine, not particularly expressive (well more so than a harpsichord), but many great artists have somehow transcended it to an extraordinary degree.

It must be funny not playing your own instrument on tour or in the studio... let alone having to create your own distinctive sound on whatever the piano de jour happens to be.

I have a lot of favourite pianists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I see what you mean and maybe I agree. I have a recording of Chick Corea (Acoustic band) on which he sounds pretty much the same the whole album. After the first song you know what Corea has to offer. But . . . . on the other hand this invites us to listen to the music. The chords, melody, rhythm, etc. Not to Chick Corea.
    But this could be a guitar-player listening to a piano player. When I listen to a guitar player it's easier to hear differences, because I know the instrument better. I recognize some sax players but most of the time I hear a sax player.
    Corea is also a drummer. And it's obvious in his playing because he plays the piano often as if its a drum. That's part of his trademark style. But Corea is also a top notch Classical player, like Herbie, and Jarrett. Classical is where they come from.

But Corea's Acoustic band playing is not his best work. Corea from the later 70's with his recordings featuring Steve Gadd, Eddie Gomez, Joe Farrell etc. were about as good as it gets. His later stuff didn't move me as much, but his earlier stuff was nothing but brilliant.

User Info Menu

"If it's blasphemy, then stone me."

Lawson you?

User Info Menu

Personally, I love it all. I appreciate and respect the technical capacity and musicality that's required to play any instrument exceptionally well. To say you've heard all of what's to hear from someone in 10 minutes sounds a bit ignorant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "If it's blasphemy, then stone me."

Lawson you?
    He's poking the bear. He loves piano, but is afraid to admit it. How can you not love Beethoven?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I see what you mean and maybe I agree. I have a recording of Chick Corea (Acoustic band) on which he sounds pretty much the same the whole album. After the first song you know what Corea has to offer. But . . . . on the other hand this invites us to listen to the music. The chords, melody, rhythm, etc. Not to Chick Corea.
    But this could be a guitar-player listening to a piano player. When I listen to a guitar player it's easier to hear differences, because I know the instrument better. I recognize some sax players but most of the time I hear a sax player.
    You make a good point there. I actually enjoy Oscar Peterson but only for a a short time. For the same reason, I also found fusion guitar kind of boring. Al DiMeola had fantastic chops, but I found it hard to keep listening after 10 minutes. I also find some of Pat Martino's longer solos equally difficult to stay with simply because the endless stretches of 8th notes at high tempos merges together. Both of these are amazing players justly admired for their accomplishments. This is just my reaction. I like to hear someone work with the instrument, select their weapons, as it were, make their statement, provoke curiosity, invite response, and so forth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Personally, I love it all. I appreciate and respect the technical capacity and musicality that's required to play any instrument exceptionally well. To say you've heard all of what's to hear from someone in 10 minutes sounds a bit ignorant.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. But I actually have listened to a lot of piano playing in many genres. When I say the first 10 minutes says it all for some players I mean they push and crowd too much of their vocabulary into every line. They can't open up with some space, work with varying concepts, leave room in the music for the hearer to breath. I don't get that from some players. Oddly, the old bop guitarists like Jimmy Raney and Joe Pass who play these long lines still somehow seem (to me) to leave room for a hearer to respond and enjoy.

I hope you do not consider it ignorance when someone simply does not share your preference. We have had enough, I think, in recent days, of people treating those who differ from them as if they were somehow deficient. We are all different. Neither you nor I have been appointed the arbiter of good taste in music. I've made a point of stating my feelings here strictly as my own personal impressions and reactions, not judgments.Those who play guitar but don't actually like the guitar puzzle me, but that's their life and I can still respect them and enjoy their contributions.

I hope you are made of that same stuff.

User Info Menu

You can dislike the piano and you can dislike Beethoven. Both are within the range of possibilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm sorry you feel that way. But I actually have listened to a lot of piano playing in many genres. When I say the first 10 minutes says it all for some players I mean they push and crowd too much of their vocabulary into every line. They can't open up with some space, work with varying concepts, leave room in the music for the hearer to breath. I don't get that from some players. Oddly, the old bop guitarists like Jimmy Raney and Joe Pass who play these long lines still somehow seem (to me) to leave room for a hearer to respond and enjoy.

I hope you do not consider it ignorance when someone simply does not share your preference. We have had enough, I think, in recent days, of people treating those who differ from them as if they were somehow deficient. We are all different. Neither you nor I have been appointed the arbiter of good taste in music. I've made a point of stating my feelings here strictly as my own personal impressions and reactions, not judgments.Those who play guitar but don't actually like the guitar puzzle me, but that's their life and I can still respect them and enjoy their contributions.

I hope you are made of that same stuff.
    You like space, here's some space. Simply but one of many great albums by the late great Oscar Peterson. And his work with the late great Ray Brown, and Herb Ellis was exquisite.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-14-2020 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

156 Million find this so boring that they listen to it over and over again. It's probably only the most recognized piano piece ever written. And just when you feel you've mastered it musically, you recognize, oh, I still have some work to do.

User Info Menu

Artur Rubenstein’s recordings of the Chopin Sonatas. Give a whirl on the ol’turntable. The dynamics of his playing, and the music, are beatific.

You know, Tal Farlow ‘copped’ a lot from the classical world. He was always looking out for something different harmonically that he could fit into his bag of tricks. Faure was a fav.

My point is, without seeing through the eyes (hearing through the ears) of other musicians, instruments and genres you are only cheating your own musical education. Which is why some guitarists will never be more than a guitar player, and others become musicians playing the guitar.

User Info Menu

I can understand the Oscar Peterson being boring. Great player but, as Lawson Stone said you've heard what he has to say in about 10 minutes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    I can understand the Oscar Peterson being boring. Great player but, as Lawson Stone said you've heard what he has to say in about 10 minutes.
    Hey, everyone has a right to their own preferences. To each their own. But Oscar is only one of the most recorded artists ever. Where is your recording?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    My point is, without seeing through the eyes (hearing through the ears) of other musicians, instruments and genres you are only cheating your own musical education
    That's precisely my point. The instrument is irrelevant. Greatness comes in all forms. But to suggest the piano is boring, when there are literally hundreds and hundreds of great piano players, was a stupid comment, IMO.

User Info Menu

"But to suggest the piano is boring was a stupid comment, IMO"

not a stupid comment Greg, it's boring to him
    not everyone has to like piano. I like listening to certain players but never had any desire to play it, it's way down my list of what I'd like to play if I didn't play guitar.
    now, organ? sign me up. I never learned to play and sold my B-3 a couple years ago, always wanted to have one in the house and it was easy for organ players to come over for rehearsals. kept one of my Leslies though and it's hooked up to a small portable Hammond now. The old B was just taking up too much room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "But to suggest the piano is boring was a stupid comment, IMO"

not a stupid comment Greg, it's boring to him
    not everyone has to like piano. I like listening to certain players but never had any desire to play it, it's way down my list of what I'd like to play if I didn't play guitar.
    now, organ? sign me up
    How can you call yourself a musician and not appreciate piano too? It's only like the entire orchestra.

User Info Menu

Hey, everyone has a right to their own preferences. To each their own. But Oscar is only one of the most recorded artists ever. Where is your recording?
    You're just getting defensive now. You don't have to be a virtuoso to have an intelligent, informed like or dislike, passion or indifference, toward a particular musical instrument or composer.

This is not about you, sir. We don't all have the same frame of reference, we don't all share the same aesthetic sensibilities, we don't all enjoy the same jokes, find the same women attractive, or like the same foods. It doesn't make anyone ignorant or arrogant or deficient somehow. It just makes them what they are.

Which kind of fits what I've said about the piano. The lack of limitations can engender a kind of imperialism that crowds out other voices. You love the piano, it's obvious. That's great. Others don't. That's great too. Can you see that without putting on the lenses of a value judgment against the others' different sensibilities?

User Info Menu

You're just getting defensive now. You don't have to be a virtuoso to have an intelligent, informed like or dislike, passion or indifference, toward a particular musical instrument or composer.

This is not about you, sir. We don't all have the same frame of reference, we don't all share the same aesthetic sensibilities, we don't all enjoy the same jokes, find the same women attractive, or like the same foods. It doesn't make anyone ignorant or arrogant or deficient somehow. It just makes them what they are.

Which kind of fits what I've said about the piano. The lack of limitations can engender a kind of imperialism that crowds out other voices. You love the piano, it's obvious. That's great. Others don't. That's great too. Can you see that without putting on the lenses of a value judgment against the others' different sensibilities?
    Yes, I can see piano is not for you. And I'm perfectly fine with that. I don't relate, but hey, it's not about me. Do your thang!

User Info Menu

How can you call yourself a musician and not appreciate piano too? It's only like the entire orchestra.
    See what you're doing here? You're taking someone's different sensibility, different preference, and turning it into a matter of superiority or inferiority. I hope one thing we've learned in recent years is that we have to be able to express differences in perception, response, opinion, and yes, artistic sensibility without implicitly (or explicitly!) consigning those not like us to a lower status.

The very problem, for me, with the piano is that in fact it IS the entire orchestra, except only the notes. No strings, no woodwinds, no brass, just padded hammers striking strings. But it can cover all the notes. But it isn't the same. Dvorak's "From the New World" can be played on piano. But who want to hear it? I want to hear the Boston Symphony Orchestra play it.

Funny how sometimes the voices calling most for diversity often react the most negatively to the fact of actual diversity.

User Info Menu

screw the piano, I can’t believe no-one’s mentioned the bagpipes yet.

User Info Menu

Also good friends, I've said my peace here on the topic, or off-topic, as the case may be. I don't want to inflame passions excessively, so I'm happy to sit down and be quiet. I don't have anything else of use or insight to offer. People of sophistication, talent, character, and principle can see matters vastly differently, and that makes for a truly engaging community.

User Info Menu

Funny how sometimes the voices calling most for diversity often react the most negatively to the fact of actual diversity.
    Lol! Who's calling for diversity? I've already said do your thing. Let it go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    screw the piano, I can’t believe no-one’s mentioned the bagpipes yet.

I knew Rufus! he used to sit in on some of our gigs back in the day.

User Info Menu

That's precisely my point. The instrument is irrelevant. Greatness comes in all forms. But to suggest the piano is boring, when there are literally hundreds and hundreds of great piano players, was a stupid comment, IMO.
    The only one being stupid in this thread is you. But hey, once you graduate high school I'm sure things will change.