The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was listening Joan Chamorro, and thinking that there isnt much actions of guitar in big bands.

And furthermore that I would like to listen a large ensemble of guitars, like 4 guitars making the bass section, other guitars making the trumpets, etc etc. Not only for a big band style, any style, but with 10 guitars, more or less.

Any know something like this ? Preferly, in the archtop world, I know there are some thing like this in the classical nylon territory, but its not my thing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guitars suck in large ensembles because they cannot double parts. You double horns or strings and it sounds great, the idiosyncrasies in attacks cancel each other and you get a nice warm sound. Double guitars and it amplifies every slight rhythmic imperfection, the exception perhaps being metal-style distortion which gives enough sustain to offset this issue. In CG, trios and quartets where everyone plays a different line works, but these guitar orchestras that schools put together sound awful IMO

User Info Menu

There were some attempts I remember from the 70's where a bunch of guitarists played multi-part arrangements of jazz tunes but they never really took off. IMHO any more than 2 guitars playing at once doesn't really work so well - even the famed McLaughlin/DiMeola/
    De Lucia project left me feeling that there was always one guitar too many on stage ...
    All I could find were short-lived one time affairs :

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Guitarists don't play in sections the way horn players do -- and have for years in many cases.

Blending with horns isn't so easy on guitar -- the note starts abruptly and fades. Guitarists aren't accustomed to thinking about when to release a note. And, guitarists haven't usually spent a zillion hours blending with horn type lines in a section. Guitarists don't usually react to articulation and volume marks the way horn players do.

So, I think it can be done, but it's not so easy.