The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    As many people are looking forward to learn to play guitar by hearing a great guitarist. Something inside us makes us say “What is that sound? I wanna play that!”. Once you have experienced this, you are already on the way to being a guitarist. If you have never played before, there are so many types of guitars and guitar playing styles to choose from that it can be tough to know where to start.
    want to know which style do you like to play?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I started out playing folk in the 60s but began working to learn to play like Chet Atkins because my grandfather liked his music. I eventually moved on to Merle Travis, Mose Rager, Ike Everly, Eddie Pennington and the other 'thumbstyle' players from Kentucky who pretty much formulated that style. I've played folk, classic rock, jazz, swing, country, orchestra pit and just about everything else you can think of over the past 60 years but, around the house, for myself, I generally revert to thumbstyle and l ways have a couple thumb picks in my pocket at all times.

User Info Menu

For most people here, I expect it will be jazz.

User Info Menu

I'm inclined to say that any style of western music can be played on the guitar. I would tell a beginner to jump in with whatever style interests them today and follow their curiosity and inspiration where it leads. One caveat: learn to read and write standard notation sooner than later because being literate will enable access to different styles.

My answer to your question would be different depending on when in my 60-plus years it was asked.

User Info Menu

I was always a fan of chord/melody, even before I knew what it was called.

User Info Menu

50s style jazz guitar; E.g. What Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, Barney Kessell, Mundell Lowe, Chuck Wayne etc... were doing in the 50s.

User Info Menu

My main influences in chron order:

30s-50s style chord melody
    Jim Hall
    Carlos Santana
    Warren Nunes
    BB King
    Brazilian rhythm guitar (to name a few: Joao Gilberto, Oscar Castro Neves, Joao Bosco, Chico Pinheiro)
    A little tiny bit from hearing Eddie Van Halen play Beat It -- the way he seems to float over the time

I don't think anybody would ever guess any of those names from hearing me play.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 10-28-2020 at 01:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Juanjo Dominguez style.

User Info Menu

Jazz with some grit. Like packed club, organ's too loud, WAP Tenor (wet and preachy) people dance a little dirty, amp on the edge kinda jazz. Swinging hard, playing some Boogaloo kinda jazz. That's my music

User Info Menu

70s pop fusion, if that is the word for it. Carlton, Ford, that thing

User Info Menu

Hauntology

User Info Menu

Chord Melody/Solo Guitar standards especially on a 7 string. I strive, I'm not sure I'll achieve, but I have fun.

I also like 7 string standards with vocals ala John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Chord Melody/Solo Guitar standards especially on a 7 string. I strive, I'm not sure I'll achieve, but I have fun.

I also like 7 string standards with vocals ala John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey.
    I got to see George Van Eps and Howard Alden play this style back-in-the-day when Van Eps lived in Southern California. I continued to see Howard Alden at many house-concerts and most of the time he would play a song Lap Piano that he got from Van Eps.

Last edited by jameslovestal; 11-03-2020 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

When I lived on the East Coast I studied with Jerry Sims, who was the Jazz and 7 string jazz artist for Ibanez. He is a hell of a player. At times Howard Paul from Benedetto would be in town and drop by Jerry's duo gigs (with a singer) and play a set or two on his custom 7 Benedetto. It was always a great show. Howard struck me as more of 6 string player who switched to 7 while Jerry started 7 with Bucky right after graduation from Berklee. I'm sorry I came to guitar so late in life; there are some great guitarists I would have liked to see. Fortunately, I have seen amazing bassists all my life.