The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 843

User Info Menu

Given the endless number of RnR related threads about players and music constantly posted here, and since most of you grew up in the heyday of RnR I’ve wondered:

Do you know Motown or the sound of Philadelphia or Stax that produced so many hits during RnR’s heyday?

Who do you know? Who did you like? What made that group special to you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This classic was written and produced by and features a great vibraphone solo by Vince Montana Jr who produced and arranged a lot of classic Philly soul records , although this is the Salsoul Orchestra who were New York based . Nice to hear some classic bebop licks on a disco record .

User Info Menu

This is my favourite Philly tune

Huge influence on early house music .

User Info Menu

I really like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Ironically they did their best work when they 'left' Motown.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 10-03-2020 at 03:10 PM.

When was that latter tune recorded? Sounds like middle 80’s. Was that your generation? I ask because there were a lot of actual hits out of Philly in the very early 70’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I really like Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Ironically they did their best work when they left Motown.
    Gaye’s best albums were all recorded under either the Motown or Tamla, also Motown, labels. What’s going on, Let’s get it on, and I want you are all Tamla label. Those were his biggest hits I believe.

Stevie’s biggest, Songs in the key of life, was also released under Motown’s Tamla label. Although the original Motown label had long sold when it released in 1976.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Gaye’s best albums were all recorded under either the Motown or Tamla, also Motown, labels. What’s going on, Let’s get it on, and I want you are all Tamla label. Those were his biggest hits I believe.

Stevie’s biggest, Songs in the key of life, was also released under Motown’s Tamla label. Although the original Motown label had long sold when it released in 1976.
    That's why 'left' is between those ' '. But they left. The only thing motown about those albums was the label. Both Wonder and Gaye went their own way and made music the way they wanted. If it was up to motown, Songs in the key of life and What's going on were never made.
    Ironically.

User Info Menu

That smooth voice... Smokey Robinson.

Who knows this mega hit from 1971? It was a one hit wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That smooth voice... Smokey Robinson.
    But did you ever hear his album titled “Smokey” released in 1973? The entire album was fabulous.

Philly release 1976. But Harold Melvin wasn’t the lead singer in the group named after him. Who was the lead singer?

A Philly release mega hit from 1973. The instrumentation is off the charts. You don’t hear this type of arranging in today’s music.

User Info Menu

I was raised in South Philly from 1951 on. I'm not familiar with the Disco scene and even with Motown's inner working's, I couldn't tell you anything of producers, record Company's, etc.. But I could mention D'John's smoky steak shop with the "Queen of hearts" pin ball machine and a vast array of neighborhood characters but I'll refrain and post a video instead.

Or have you heard of this singer who for all intents and purposes could have been a very good jazz singer. Man was he gifted. Philly’s own, Mr. Billy Paul. The instrumentation has deep jazz roots. Here Billy puts his own spin on Al Green’s mega hit “Let’s stay together.” It’s both a bluesy and uniquely soulful rendition. The man literally bears his soul in pure vocal majesty. A Philadelphia International release, 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfaceboy
    I was raised in South Philly from 1951 on. I'm not familiar with the Disco scene and even with Motown's inner working's, I couldn't tell you anything of producers, record Company's, etc.. But I could mention D'John's smoky steak shop with the "Queen of hearts" pin ball machine and a vast array of neighborhood characters but I'll refrain and post a video instead.

Were you aware that Philadelphia had it’s own record label that had releases that were so good it rivaled Motown? Philadelphia International Records, created by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff. And the great song writer, arranger Thom Bell who produced groups like The Stylistics, The Delfonics, and The Spinners was one of their producers.

To this day I miss the hoagies and cheese steaks. I was stationed in Philly between ‘’75-77.

In 1974, before disco, the house band of Philadelphia International Records known simply as MFSB released their own album. It too became a disco hit 2 years after its release. It was apparent that like the band in Motown, these too were jazz players.

Recorded in 1973 and written by PI owners Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff was For the love of money. Released by The Ojays.

Most don’t know that as Motown folded and sold it’s company in 1971 Philadelphia International Records was founded. They produced a slew of hits between 1971-80 including the 1972 hit ‘If you don’t know me by now’ by Harold Melvin, who never sang lead and yet was paid the majority of the money. As you can imagine this would soon become a problem.

The 1976 PI release written by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff by none other than Lou Rawls of ‘You’ll never find a love like mine. The album won a Grammy. Surely even if you were a hard core rocker you must have heard this?

User Info Menu

peoples choice outta philly

cheers

User Info Menu

also, big undisputed truth fan!!

cheers

User Info Menu

A Philly band from 1970 - Hall and Oates

User Info Menu

detroit..but not motown...

the mighty- funkadelic

early vid for cosmic slop

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Were you aware that Philadelphia had it’s own record label that had releases that were so good it rivaled Motown? Philadelphia International Records, created by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff. And the great song writer, arranger Thom Bell who produced groups like The Stylistics, The Delfonics, and The Spinners was one of their producers.

To this day I miss the hoagies and cheese steaks. I was stationed in Philly between ‘’75-77.
    We knew Gamble and Huff were very big on the music scene but not at what capacity, They're legends in Philly today but I'm fairly certain that you're already aware of that. The groups you mentioned are also legends along with many more. I know of a guy named John Madera who wrote and produced a lot of the DooWop that came out of Philly, It;s been a happening place over the years. I'm dyin over here! ......Cheesesteak........hoagie?? It's been years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    A Philly band from 1970 - Hall and Oates

I never knew the two of them performed together. Thanks for the post.