The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 843
    RNR Hall of Fame, Songwriters Hall of Fame, Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, Marvins 1973 hit, Come get to this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Marvin Gayes Live 1974 hit, Distant Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye are probably my fav Motown artists. From Stax Records i really enjoy their blues music roster, like Otis Redding, Albert Collins stuff, etc. Anything i 've heard from these companies is great music, i guess it comes with the era.
    Frosty and Snoecone were the first shuffles I ever heard and learned. They were often used to start the set at club gigs. Hideaway by Freddie King and the Beano album were some other early ones. Do some members know much about the history of guitar based shuffles?

In 1981 disco had come and gone. But soul was still soul and great singers were everywhere. None more gifted than Luthier Vandross. He sang for years backing named acts. Now on his own here his is singing his hit A house is not a home, for a live audience.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-06-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Everyday I have the Blues by BB King Live At The Regal in Chicago is a great early example I bet Room Full Of Blues would have some!

Is there a soul version of People Who Need People?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Is there a soul version of People Who Need People?

There is a dynamite version of People Who Need People With Barbara Streisand and Stevie Wonder!!! has great nylon string guitar intro really TOP NOTCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Thank you! Great version! Rays country album with You Dont Know Me was an industry game changer in a good way! Maybe some can post it. To me it does not get any BLUER!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Brook Benton’s 1970 mega hit A rainy night in Georgia.

There is a up and coming blues man named Lucious Spiller who does a cover on YT. I did not know Tony Joe White from Gator got your Granny Polk Salad Annie wrote this but I think he did . I understand Lucious has been working at Morgan Freemans blues joint in Clarksdale, Mississippi. He is the real deal although its hard to top an original classic.

The Godmother of Soul. Born and raised in Philadelphia, PA. She's a special lady with a special voice, and she's been singing for six decades. And no one, absolutely no one has ever sung Over The Rainbow quite like Patti Labelle. She brings it! Here she is in a 1991 Apollo Theater performance. Love you Patti!

Combine a producer like Quincy, and a singer like James Ingrams and you get 100 Ways. And then James follows that hit up with Just Once. And just because, Joey DeFrancesco does a very soulful jazzy version of Just Once.

User Info Menu

Unbelievably, we've been this far without a mention of Mucle Shoals. While most of the music covered so far was urban, very much a product of the big city, Muscle Shoals was out in the boonies and had a funky vibe of it's own that was local flavor. The Swampers were one of my favorite studio bands and their legacy to music is huge.

A song that would define so much about it’s time by a songwriter who was like no other. Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On definitely set the bar very high for there was nothing like it. And Motown didn’t want to release what they saw as a protest record. Barry Gordy was clueless. But Marvin refuses to work on anything else until it was released. Barry was outvoted by Motown management. It was then released and the rest as they say was history.

Another hot recording that was part of the soundtrack for the 60’s. Here’s the Four Tops with Baby I Need Your Lovin.

Chic lit a fire in 1979 with their Good Times.

Curtis Mayfield’s Move On Up was a musical extravaganza of what epitomized a hit in 1970. The horns and rhythm section were phenomenal and way ahead of its time.

User Info Menu

1975 Love to love you baby lit up the RnB charts. It became an anthem for disco with its long play version. Donna Summers was on fire. She had a slew of other hits like MacArthur Park and Last Dance. She became known as the Queen of disco.

Smokey’s Tracks of my tears kept that Smokey flame flowing with another hit!

And in 1970 Smokey’s Tears of a clown would define my high school days.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    In my non-musical life, I often teach 1-week courses in Detroit to professionals who come here from all over the world. To put them at ease on the first day, I used to start with a pop-quiz, and ask them "Does anybody know what 2648 W. Grand Boulevard is?" There used to always be at least a few people in the who knew the answer, which gave me an excuse to give a mini-lecture on the Funk Brothers, and many times I'd give out DVDs of "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" to the winners.

Over the past few years, fewer and fewer people knew the answer, to the point where I stopped asking. I guess it was naive to think that Motown would always be the "Sound of Young America."

Yes, isn’t it pathetic that this generation doesn’t know its history. And forget jazz, that was 3 generations ago. They know nothing because they don’t understand the value of history. But question? Where the hell is this generation’s Motown? Crickets. All we have is a foul mouthed thing trying to imitate itself as music. Where are the horns? Oh, they don’t play them or read music, they simply sample. As if sampling is an art form. It’s laziness. But it doesn’t help that the schools have been annihilated for who teaches music in schools? Sad days from people who don’t or won’t acknowledge their own greatness.

Back on a more positive note. What’s more so than Bill Withers and his Lovely Day.

And Lean on me.

Born in 1958 Anita Baker arrived later on the scene. But did she ever make up for lost time winning 8 Grammys. Here’s Sweet Love from her 1986 ultra winning Rapture album.