The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 843
    Al Green. A soul singer from Arkansas. A reverend who after owning the charts began an equally great and longstanding Gospel career. Winner of 11 Grammys. Induction into the RNR Hall of Fame in 1995. Included in The Rolling Stones top 100 singers of all time. Known as the last great soul singer. there was only 1 Al Green. Here’s the tune he’s known for, Let’s stay together.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Barry White. The Maestro. It’s shocking he only won 2 Grammys for he had 4 albums that topped the charts. Barry was a self taught player and learned to read music and produce on his first album. He never looked back and the world was his oyster. His performance owned the Merv Griffin Show. This tune defined him in 1974. Reaching number 1 on Billboard is Barry and his Love Unlimited Orchestra. Here’s Love’s Theme.

User Info Menu

my favorite Al Green tune...

Here’s Donny Hathaway’s live version of What’s Goin On, and The Ghetto which features many great players in their own right. His live version of WGO is a brilliant arrangement that’s a respectable nod to Marvin Gaye.

This tune has Philadelphia International Records all over it. Here’s Teddy Pendergrass with his sermon to love in 1971’s I Miss You.

Here’s another soulful ballad from 360 degrees of Billy Paul. I’m gonna make it this time.

A child, with a golden voice, 10 years old in 1970 leads his older brother’s on a musical quest. Michael Jackson led the airwaves both as a kid and an adult. Here’s Multi Grammy winners with their I’ll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    I really liked many Motown songs back in the day. And still do. And still listen to them. All popular, maybe too "commercial," not "sophisticated," according to some. So be it. But great songs nevertheless. Almost all are from the 1960s. Topping the list are:

Contours: Do You Love Me
    Miracles: The Tracks of My Tears
    Marvelettes : Please Mr. Postman

The others:

Miracles: You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me
    Miracles: Shop Around
    Martha and the Vandellas: Heatwave
    Little Stevie Wonder: Fingertips
    Martha & the Vandellas: Dancing in the Street
    Temptations: My Girl
    Four Tops: Reach Out
    Temptations: Ain’t Too Proud to Beg
    Four Tops: Standing in the Shadows of Love
    Marvin Gaye: I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    Four Tops: Bernadette
    Marvin Gaye: What’s Going On
    Stevie Wonder: Superstition
    Temptations: Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone
    Marvin Gaye: Let’s Get It On

I’ve undoubtedly forgotten many.
    When the funk bros guitarist played the intro to My Girl I wonder if he knew how many other guitarists would play it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    I really liked many Motown songs back in the day. And still do. And still listen to them. All popular, maybe too "commercial," not "sophisticated," according to some. So be it. But great songs nevertheless. Almost all are from the 1960s. Topping the list are:

Contours: Do You Love Me
    Miracles: The Tracks of My Tears
    Marvelettes : Please Mr. Postman

The others:

Miracles: You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me
    Miracles: Shop Around
    Martha and the Vandellas: Heatwave
    Little Stevie Wonder: Fingertips
    Martha & the Vandellas: Dancing in the Street
    Temptations: My Girl
    Four Tops: Reach Out
    Temptations: Ain’t Too Proud to Beg
    Four Tops: Standing in the Shadows of Love
    Marvin Gaye: I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    Four Tops: Bernadette
    Marvin Gaye: What’s Going On
    Stevie Wonder: Superstition
    Temptations: Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone
    Marvin Gaye: Let’s Get It On

I’ve undoubtedly forgotten many.
    When the session funk bros guitarist played the intro to My Girl I wonder if he had any idea how many other guitarists would play it? that he was making musical history with a very,very popular song?

Stars? Planets? Galaxies?! Who could make a hit song out of that? The 5th Dimension did. They had a strong showing during the 60’s when it was everything goes. Here’s their Aquarius/Let the sun shine.

The 1971 Ed Sullivan show presents The Temptations with Just my imagination.

Smokey and the miracles. Ooh baby, baby.

His career traversed the 70’s and 80’s. He formed a band of high school players. They wrote their own music. Then Lionel Ritchie launched a solo career. And sold many more records. Multi Grammy winner. Songwriters Hall of Fame Johnny Mercer award winner. Oscar and Golden Globe winner. Sold over 90 million records as a solo performer. Here’s All night long.

Two brothers with a very solid band who had many hit albums, both in the 70’s and a huge resurgence in the 80’s after pairing with the great producer Eumir Deodato. Two time Grammy winner and a Songwriter hall of fame award amongst them, here’s Kool and the Gangs Celebration.

Brook Benton’s 1970 mega hit A rainy night in Georgia.

Tyrone Davis and his 1970 hit If I could turn back the hands of time.

1970 Philly soul. The Delfonics and their Didn’t I blow your mind this time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Stars? Planets? Galaxies?! Who could make a hit song out of that? The 5th Dimension did. They had a strong showing during the 60’s when it was everything goes. Here’s their Aquarius/Let the sun shine.

Thanks for posting! I listened to an interview with Joe Osborne the other night on YT and I believe he played bass strings for about 15 years on one set. I think he was the bass player on this cut. When I was in music school and did not have much money I learned to take off my flat wound strings and boil them for about 15 min. They didnot sound as good as new but it helped right before an important performance. I have not had to do that for a while but with the price of some brands I might! ha!

1970 The Moments Love on a two way street.

1970 Eddie Holman Hey there lonely girl.

Chicago’s own, the Chi-lites. 1971’s The coldest days of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    His career traversed the 70’s and 80’s. He formed a band of high school players. They wrote their own music. Then Lionel Ritchie launched a solo career. And sold many more records. Multi Grammy winner. Songwriters Hall of Fame Johnny Mercer award winner. Oscar and Golden Globe winner. Sold over 90 million records as a solo performer. Here’s All night long.

Jacob Collier has a good version of this on YT. Tell It Like It like is and You Dont Know Me are soulful songs from this era. Arron Neville has a distinctive voice and appearance! If someone had told me a dude with a dagger tat on his face would be a great soul singer I may not have believed it. The duet with him and Linda Ronstadt is really good.

User Info Menu

Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye are probably my fav Motown artists. From Stax Records i really enjoy their blues music roster, like Otis Redding, Albert Collins stuff, etc. Anything i 've heard from these companies is great music, i guess it comes with the era.

Guitar player extraordinare based group The Isley Bros. 1973s Who’s that lady.

1975s That’s the way of the world by EWF.