The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 843
    Donald Byrd backed a group of younger group of musicians called The Blackbyrds. The result was 4 hit albums including the hit, Walking in rhythm.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

The great Donald Byrd and his Blackbyrds backing him on the 1973 hit, Flight Time. It’s got an unusual beginning with an actual jetliner taking flight, but it’s effective and it works.

The Chi-Lites with their perennial hit played everywhere. Have you seen her.

And the Chi-Lites with their 1971 hit, Oh Girl.

The man with the deepest voice in the recording industry with another of his 1972 hits, You’re my first, my last, my everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The Chi-Lites with their perennial hit played everywhere. Have you seen her.

The Pride of Chicago. Their good stuff is SOOOOO GOOD.

Barry and his 1973 hit, I’m gonna love you a little more baby.

Barry with his 1973 hit, Never ever gonna give you up.

Barry with his 1973 mega hit, Honey Please.

Barry with his long 1971 hit, I’ve got so much to give.

How Barry White isn’t in a Hall of Fame is a travesty for he’s sold over 100 million albums worldwide. He practically owned the airwaves in the 1970’s. Growing up in poverty in LA he joined a rhythm and blues band at 16, playing local clubs. Honing both his musical and songwriting crafts he blazed a path of music that is practically unequaled. Here’s his Let the music play from 1976. This song was also a big hit in local Philadelphia discos.

I was stationed in Hawaii when this next tune ruled the airwaves. Having just returned from a westpac tour of traveling from Japan to Australia, to many stops along the way like Bangkok and the Philippines, on our return home as we finally got within 100 miles of Pearl Harbor the ship’s radio station picked up the broadcast of mainland Oahu. And what was playing at that eventful 1974 moment but The Hues Corporation and their Rock the boat. And Oahu seemed to play it again, and again and again. Hey, that’s a one hit wonder for ya! Our thoughts were, no, definitely don’t rock the boat man.

Who doesn’t remember the Temptations and their mega hit from the mid 60’s of What becomes of the broken hearted.

This Temptations mega hit was an instrumental masterpiece was also a lyrical extravaganza which was filled with jazz orchestration. In the mid 60’s it was unusual to see 12 minute tunes. But here’s Motown’s Papa was a Rolling Stone.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Since a lot of earlier R&B from the 50s and 60s (Ray Charles, Little Richard, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, and others) was just gospel music with secular lyrics, one artist from Philadelphia had a strong effect on Little Richard (when he'd sustain a high note with the syllable "Woo!", like in "Tutti Fruity", and as a result, on The Beatles e.g. "When I Saw Her Standing There").

That artist was the gospel singer Marion Williams. She could sing quietly, with a perfect vibrato, or shout, like a force of nature.
    She refused to sing anything without a religious connection, so when Milt Jackson and Ray Brown made an album with her on it ("Much in Common"), she refused to sing a jazz or pop tune, and they only recorded a couple of religious songs ("Motherless Child") they all knew.
    Here's a recording of her singing a song written by Bobby Scott, that was also made into a hit by The Hollies:

User Info Menu

The Isley Bros surprised everyone with this former Seals and Croft hit, Summer Breeze.

And in 1974 the Isley Bros came back with another hit album, which included the hit, Don’t let me be lonely tonight.

In 1974 the Spinners turned this ballad into a mega hit. Love don’t love nobody.

In 1974 Philadelphia’s The Ojays have another top 10 hit in, I love music.

Speaking of ballads, in 1972 Gladys Knight and her Pips truly scored with their hit, Neither one of us.

Stevie Wonder delivers a solid album with the 1971 hit, Signed, sealed, delivered.

In 1974 this little known soul group, New Birth, had an exceptional hit. Here’s Wildflower.

Here’s The Emotions from their award winning album with the hit, The best of my love.