The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 843

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Given the endless number of RnR related threads about players and music constantly posted here, and since most of you grew up in the heyday of RnR I’ve wondered:

Do you know Motown or the sound of Philadelphia or Stax that produced so many hits during RnR’s heyday?

Who do you know? Who did you like? What made that group special to you?
    Yes, I know those sounds. I played in bands that covered Motown and Stax/Volt/Atlantic/Hi for many years. Philly sound was more background music to early adolescence than an active interest for me, especially when the blues guitar bug bit me around age 15. As a kid, I bought Stevie Wonder, J5, and EW&F records, but mostly I listened to this music on the radio.

In college (early 80s), I wound up in a (mostly) Motown cover band, and I knew all the songs without even having to figure them out. They were just there in my lizard brain from top 40 endless repetition.

Nowadays, I'd say Stevie, Martha and the Vandellas, and Al Green are faves. Also love Temps, Smokey, Marvin. Never particularly cared for the Supremes or the 4 Tops. Love Sam and Dave, Curtis Mayfield, Sly, JB, PFunk yada yada.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 10-04-2020 at 09:59 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Huge fan of Stevie and Marvin, but my softest spot is for the girl groups.

Thank you Mark! I was getting to Stax.

Stax music was born from Southern grit. Or was that Southern grits? You better settle in because this story truly is nothing but remarkable.

Stax began with owners Jim Stewart, a licensed pharmacist, and his sister Ms. Estelle Axton. Originally known as Satellite records they renamed the company by settling on two letters from their last names. Stax was born.

But wait a second, what’s interesting is Satellite created Country and Rockabilly music out of a garage, reflecting the tastes of Stewart, himself a fiddle player.

Well, as the story goes, in 1958 Estelle mortgaged her home for all of $2500 to begin an investment in the recording company. Did I mention southern grit? And for the remainder of the Stax story I refer you to the wiki page which is a must read if you’re a music fan. There’s absolutely nothing like it for it’s a rags to riches story that returns back to rags again. I own two hardback books and a dvd on the Stax years. They’re truly one of my favorite recording companies, and not just because of their story but because of the musicians.

Stax Records - Wikipedia

But there’s a story about a song by the great Otis Redding who while in Monterey came on the stage at 1 in the morning and brought fans to their feet. There’s not much that can be said about him that hasn’t already been said. And Otis personified everything that Stax was.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-04-2020 at 07:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Mr Jamerson is in the house! Was that in Britain? Beautiful stuff!
    Hi 2B. Nice thread!!! Don´t know where this took place. But fortunately it was registered.

Speaking of Stax. One whose name was synonymous with Stax was Issac Hayes. Hayes was a musical icon. Man, what a 12 year run he had producing beautiful music. Hayes is known for his richly written tunes, as well as some of the longest musical sides ever recorded. I think one of his recordings was 20 minutes. For 1 song. Very long tunes were a trademark of Hayes. He was like John Coltrane solos. Each had so much to say they couldn’t stop. The Isaac Hayes Movement, and Hot buttered soul were his beginning albums. The latter was exceptional, especially when he went off with a 15 minute rendition of a Glenn Campbell tune, By the time I get to Phoenix, that brought it down to what Hayes would say “soulsville.” But in 1971 Hayes agreed to do a soundtrack to a blaxploitation film called Shaft the question was, could he pull it off? I must say, I’d never been as impressed with him until he wrote 4 sides for that soundtrack each as complimentary and moving as the next. I own several Shaft albums on vinyl, and another on cd. As for Shaft? Hayes won the Academy award for the best original song of 1971. He later won 2 Grammys for Shaft later that year. He was given a 3rd Grammy for his album Black Moses written in 1972? He’s honored by the rock n roll hall of fame. Hayes, after an illustrious career in music began an acting career! What the? Who does that? Hayes did, and he actually succeeded in it. There’s nothing I can say about Hayes especially for someone who began from a very modest beginning. Hayes was truly a self made man. Here’s his Cafe Regio from that soundtrack Shaft.

User Info Menu

Cropper and Dunn in action

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Cropper and Dunn in action

They still sound good after how many years?

User Info Menu

Just WOW! That’s the reason I began this thread, for stories like that too! I never knew anything about Sam or his legendary status in Philadelphia music! So let me get this straight. It’s Sam who was contracted to assemble that great Philly Sound, and introduced the extraordinarily talented Linda Creed to Thom Bell responsible for so many hits! I had no idea. But I always wondered how okay you’re Gamble and Huff and you want to start a recording studio but how do you assemble all the talent required by so many people in the background? And of course, Sam calls!!!! And you’re in Sam’s band for 20 years! Big bow down. And I’ve heard of modesty WM, but you’ve never told this story before. I didn’t know we were in the presence of greatness. Man you’re simply too modest for your own good! Tell us more about your time in Philly!
    A little more on Sam.
    He grew up in S. Philly and was very close to the Heath brothers, studied w Jimmy, and Tootie is still his best friend today. My favorite trumpeter Lee Morgan was in Sam's first band when they were teenagers....think about that for a minute!
    He knew all the great jazz musicians in Philly back in the day. A big perk of being in Sam's band is I get to hear cool stories about all these cats.
    Like the time he and his friends went to see Bird when they were kids and he asked Sam to hold his alto. Sam said they teased him for yrs because he was literally shaking in his boots.

I love me some Isaac Hayes. Here’s his significant albums excluding his Joy album.

It was Joy that got me through boot camp. I wore out that cassette writing home letters of being homesick really. But what was I missing? I was scrubbing toilets clean with a toothbrush. But I had the last laugh, for I was the only one in my entire company who got orders to none other but Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and aboard the USS Ponchatoula AO148! Those toothbrushes were soon a memory for Waikiki held many wonders to behold. Hey, I even met Wilt Chamberlain while strolling down the strip!

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-25-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    A little more on Sam.
    He grew up in S. Philly and was very close to the Heath brothers, studied w Jimmy, and Tootie is still his best friend today. My favorite trumpeter Lee Morgan was in Sam's first band when they were teenagers....think about that for a minute!
    He knew all the great jazz musicians in Philly back in the day. A big perk of being in Sam's band is I get to hear cool stories about all these cats.
    Like the time he and his friends went to see Bird when they were kids and he asked Sam to hold his alto. Sam said they teased him for yrs because he was literally shaking in his boots.
    Ha! See what I mean? That story is priceless! The Heath Bros, Lee Morgan, Charlie Parker!!!! Sam was livin the life and he knew it! Okay, after that tidbit you’re honorable Prez of this and all threads on this forum for no one can touch how close you are to some serious history! Philadelphia. I’ve always thought of it as a second home even though I was only there a few years. But it’s where I became a man. And where I was exposed to some of the best life has to offer!

User Info Menu

They still sound good after how many years?
    Fully agree. Stax’s Booker T. & the M.G.'s Green Onions album was released in October 1962, 58 years ago and still sounds fresh. Personnel was Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Lewis Steinberg and Al Jackson Jr.

The live presentation apparently took place in 2003. Donald Dunne passed in 2012.
    I keep returning to these recordings not driven by memories but in search of ideas and because they still sound good to me.

A week ago was listening to Blues Brothers Flip, Flop and Fly. An example of how Jazz influence is there in Dunn’s bassline can be heard from 2:34 backing Lou Marini's solo:

User Info Menu

recorded in Philly

Steve, you have far more interesting stories than I. Recording at Stax?! Bring it!
    I am 66 years old and have lived in Boston,LA,NYC,Nashville,London,KC,and Im from Little Rock,Ar. My first drummer when I started was named Ted Seibs. John Scofield usually mentions him in most interveiws about his start in jazz as they were roomates and playing partners starting out. Ted was also a good vibes player and had his vibes in their apt.next to Berklee. Gary Burton used to like to come over to their apt. a couple of hours and play with them and Chip Jackson on bass, instead of fighting Boston rush hour traffic. Ted played with Gary Burton group sometimes and taught at Berklee some. I remember before I moved to Boston when I was twenty hearing Ted say there some strong new guitar players coming up named John Scofield and Pat Matheny. Ted took me to fancy hotel where Carmen Mccrae was singing and jammed with the piano and bass player with Carmens group and was accompanied by a new guitar phenom named Pat Matheny. I remember they played 4 0n 6 by Wes and Pat played the exact solo first chorus and then improvised his own. I met Jaco at Poohs Pub in Kenmore Square and I asked him about Wayne Cochrane and he told me cajuns were called coon ass. ha ha People playing pool right behind Pat during ballads really pissed him off! They were working on Bright Size Life. Ted referred me to Mick Goodrick who was an awesome teacher! Later I realized how little I knew about music and decided to go to Berklee. I remember BillFrissells junior recital. Ive been playing 56 years and have lived in the major music centers is how Ive come by my experiences with well known players. Recording with Wayne Jackson took place in Nashville where I lived about 8 years total. I was once booked to play at Shea Stadium with Charlie Rich but the promoter ran off with the money! The bass player in that group was Michael Rhodes who has been playing for Joe Bonamassa the last several years. I lived in KC MO for 13 years and got to playa lot of organ trio music,which I really love. Steve Cardness came over to my house once and was fun to play with! I have a video on YT called Steve Burchfield Live Flamenco Blues Im just another teacher and student who wants to share and learn from others! I love this site mostly ha ha Best Wishs to my peers!

[QUOTE=Stringswinger;1065909]My family is from Philly (My great Grandparents migrated there at the beginning of the 20th Century) and I was born there and lived there till I was 10 years old.

I love The Don Patterson record with Pat Martino with cut Whistle While You Work!

What can be said about Donny Hathaway? He was a supremely gifted artist who conducted an orchestra to perform a solo album featuring songs that he himself has written. Who does that? Although his last album was released in 1975 Donny Hathaway still has a cult like following today. He’s on everyone’s top 5 list of all time best. He’s at the top of mine. Born in Chicago Donny grew up singing in the church. He was supremely talented with a gifted voice. He studied music in college. Afterward he became a songwriter, session musician, and producer for Curtis Mayfield. While taking part in sessions by Aretha Franklin, The Staple Singers, Jerry Butler, and The Impressions Donny became house producer. He began recording on his own, all of which was original material. He then signed his first recording contract a year later. He was 29 years old. But one thing was certain. Donny had the music in him. His 3rd album was met with commercial success. The song Where is the love was number 5 on the top 100 pop charts. In 1972 he composed and conducted a soundtrack for the movie Comeback Charleston Blue. His final studio album was in 1973. It imo was his finest effort. In it was a symphonic styled instrumental piece called I love the lord, he heard my cry. It was a truly special piece, and another personal favorite. But Donny suffered from severe depression during a time when it was vastly misunderstood. He suffered from schizophrenia too. He’d often go off his medication. And when he did he truly suffered. Eventually one night he jumped from a NY hotel rooftop that ended his demons. An immense talent, dead at 34. From that final studio album of his here’s what’s come to be known as “a classic ballad.” Someday We’ll All Be Free.

We miss you Donny. My favorite by him is Valdez In The Country . Lee Ritenour and George Benson and one of the first Cold Blood have really played it well! This might be a good song for Standard of the month the chromatic section is pretty challenging!
    Maybe different members can submit their versions

User Info Menu

Here's one of my favorites . . . as Don Cornelius would say . . . . the mighty, mighty Manhattans!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

And, then there's brother Al Green . . . Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

And, then the hit song that every working band in Chicago in the late 60's/70's played at least once a night.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

On Motown, the Supremes were the main female act, but the others did more for me. Diana is just too, I don't know, like a princess on a pedestal for me.
    Gladys Knight, Martha and the Vandellas, Kim Weston -- there's something more real about them that just gets me going in a way Diana never did. Kim just kills me every time I hear this:

John

User Info Menu

And, then there's Detroit's Blue-Eyed Soul Brother--Mitch Ryder! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Another Stax legend

In 1973 Philadelphia has another group backed by the house MFSB band that had a Billboard top 10 hit called Sideshow. They had good harmonies with a very solid lead singer. Norman Harris creates an album that had 4 exceptionally good songs. It was there best effort and Sideshow was played and played to death on an radio.

User Info Menu

Hey 2B...Great thread!

Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but if I recall correctly, MFSB stood for Mother, Father, Sister, Brother.

In 1977 there was a female group that had an album to top the charts. Out of Chicago they were assisted by EWF in writing a Grammy winning album called Rejoice. Number 1 on the Billboard charts here’s Don’t ask my neighbor.

Denice Williams, a female singer with a golden voice, backed again by the great Maurice White and EWF was from Gary, Indiana. Here was another Grammy winning artist who ended up with 4 of them. She sang one song with the great Johnny Mathis that went ultra gold and received countless airplay. Here’s the title soundtrack to the album Free.

And as a Grammy winning follow up album in 1978 here’s Denice and Johnny. You’ll surely recognize it.