The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 843
    Bill Withers 1972 hit, Use Me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Gloria Gaynor with her 1978 hit, I will Survive.

JB, and his 1974 hit, Payback. Great rhythm guitar, on the funky side.

Al Green, and the 1973 hit, Still in love with you.

Booker T. and The MG’s, 1967 hit, Green Onions.

Percy Sledge, with his 1966 hit, When a man loves a woman.

Sam & Dave, with their 1966 hit, Hold on, I’m comin’

The Supremes, with their 1969 hit, Ain’t no mountain high enough.

Randy Crawford and The Crusaders, with Street Life.

Philly soul, with McFadden and Whitehead and the 1975 hit, Ain’t no stopping us now.

Chic, and their 1982 hit, Everybody Dance.

MJ, and his 1983 hit, Rock with you.

User Info Menu

Larry Carlton's album "Larry Carlton Plays The Sounds Of Philadelphia" was a tribute to the great Thom Bell, Gamble & Huff recordings. Interestingly enough, the producer didn't originally plan for Carlton to do the album. Check out the back story in this April 2019 article in JazzTimes...

Larry Carlton: His Sound of Philadelphia - JazzTimes
    larry carlton could it be i'm falling in love - Google Search

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Writer, Composer, Producer, Thom Bell is an enlightening overview of his contributions to "The Philly Sound"...

And, Conductor! That’s a priceless interview with the great NPR broadcaster Terry Gross. Thom Bell was a Classical pianist, who brought his Symphonic knowledge to TSOP, kick starting PI Records. Gamble and Huff struck it rich landing both he and the great Linda Creed. I could have listened to a 5 hour interview, for the more I heard the more I wanted to know. Just priceless stuff!

It’s interesting that Larry Carlton selected 3 Spinners hits for his Sound of Philadelphia tribute album, 4.5 decades later, when someone here poo pooed The Spinners. Can’t please everybody even when half the world says, hey, that’s a hit!

User Info Menu

Who would 'poo poo' the mighty Spinners?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The Drifters, and their 1962 hit, Under The Boardwalk.

I interacted with The Drifters twice. I ran the board for one of their concerts at a local university. A couple of years later our trio opened for a different version of the group. Their guitarist complemented me on my "classic phat tone." I was pleased.
    It turned out to be an expensive gig, however. We were contractually obligated to set up several hours early so the bassist and I duly went down and set up and sound-checked our gear, and went home. Later that afternoon I went and picked up our singer and we went to the gig. No sooner were we ready for a quick and discrete mic check when I realized I had left my guitar at home. I never leave a guitar in my car, so after the load in I automatically took it in the house. The panic drive home and back warped the head in my three-cylinder Subaru Justy (I miss that car! 45 mpg with me in it!) and the repair was not cheap. We started on time, though!

I love reading peoples stories!!! A lot of mine are mostly 6 degrees of seperation but this one is pretty good. I got to hang out with Mike Lawler who played keys with some well known people. Well James Brown asked him to accompany him on keyboard when James was going so sing the opening of a big deal football game,and Mike got to ride on James private jet. There was a small lock box that was extremely important to James and he made DAMN SURE they were careful with it. When they were getting close to landing KING JAMES summoned the all important box. Naturally he guessed it might be pricey drugs, BUT NO! it was James favorite CANDY BARS!! They were precious TO HIM!! My father was an air traffic controller and when James played in Little Rock his fans blocked the runways they were so thrilled so see him but the air traffic controllers were not so happy! I will add that when a private Boing737 arrived for a John Denver concert arrived they were surprised and pleased that JOHN HIMSELF!! was landing the rather large aircraft!!!

User Info Menu

"I will add that when a private Boing737 arrived for a John Denver concert arrived they were surprised and pleased that JOHN HIMSELF!! was landing the rather large aircraft!!!"

ironic...

I grew up around the airplane business and can tell you how sad my father was when amateurs accidently murder their families because their EGOS inflate because of success in medicine,law, finances, or the music industry. I really respect and need good doctors but some people call airplanes DOCTOR KILLERS!!! When people have above average intelligence or success they think that it transfers to safely flying airplanes, but even the most highly trained piolets with good equipment sometimes CRASH!!! Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly, and Otis Redding were some of our tragic losses! To me flying is situation of ODDS! and lots of people in the music industry are required to fly to gigs. I GUESS THERE ARE OLD PIOLETS AND BOLD PIOLETS!!! Life has its risks airplane flight is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Who would 'poo poo' the mighty Spinners?!

I’ve always loved their original hit, it’s a shame. It’s a timeless tune that still sounds very solid today. And yes, back on the first or second page a member here wrote that he couldn’t identify them as, wait for it, hit makers. I thought, did you do a check out on the entire 70’s? Kudos to Thom Bell for reviving their career, and a thumbs down to Atlantic for not trusting in Thom Bell to bring the goods!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Randy Crawford and The Crusaders, with Street Life.

I have the original album and still listen to it from time to time. What follows is a 2003 live performance with Randy Crawford (voice), Joe Sample (keyboards), Wilton Felder (bass) and Ray Parker Jr. (guitar):

User Info Menu

Minnie Riperton with George Benson and Stanley Banks at bass:

User Info Menu

From Quincy Jones' A&M 5111 Mellow Madness album, Side Two, cut two, with Leon Ware, Minnie Riperton and Paulette McWilliams (vocals); Hubert Laws (flute); Max Bennett (bass).

Quincy Jones, and his 1975 hit, If I ever lose this heaven. With the great Minnie Ripperton.