The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Saw this pic of John Lee Hooker and thought the diagram on the chalkboard behind him might be of interest to some here on this forum.

Diagram of the history of the Blues-mu07bm5t9hk51-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool ! But that doesn't explain when and how pentatonics were invented

User Info Menu

Interesting diagram.

I'm reading "Bayou Underground", which focuses on music in Louisiana. I'm glad I got to live there for several years. It's a curious blend of cultures----Spanish, Cajun, French, Caribbean, American---and the music reflects disparate influences: gospel, marches, folk, ragtime, jazz, zydeco, funk, rock, country, blues....

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Cool ! But that doesn't explain when and how pentatonics were invented
    My guess would be Chinese music but Im not an ethnomusicologist we may have some though. Rock fusion fans might say Eric Johnson!

User Info Menu

Pentatonics -

'The Pentatonic scale we now know predates Pythagoras, the Babylonians and virtually every other culture all the way back to these early bird bone flutes that have been discovered in various parts of the world.'

The Mystical Pentatonic Scale and Ancient Instruments, Part I: Bone Flutes | Ancient Origins.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Interesting diagram.

I'm reading "Bayou Underground", which focuses on music in Louisiana. I'm glad I got to live there for several years. It's a curious blend of cultures----Spanish, Cajun, French, Caribbean, American---and the music reflects disparate influences: gospel, marches, folk, ragtime, jazz, zydeco, funk, rock, country, blues....
    I like The Neville Brothers and Dr John for the Lousiana sound. There is a very good jazz guitarist named Warren Battiste with some material on YT. I got to live there a while and still miss the special food!

User Info Menu

"Oh boy - what's that? It's giving me a headache and all I ever wanted to do is boogie...."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I like The Neville Brothers and Dr John for the Lousiana sound. There is a very good jazz guitarist named Warren Battiste with some material on YT. I got to live there a while and still miss the special food!
    You'll love this: Dr. John, Professor Longhair, Earl King, and The Meters.

User Info Menu

What would be more interesting would be a chart with seminal blues musicians, perhaps drawn by Robert Crumb. (Maybe it exists somewhere? Haven’t seen it yet...)

JLH would be right in the middle, right after Robert Johnson, Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith, and alongside Muddy Waters. I Can’t Be Satisfied by Muddy Waters came out in ‘48, the same year as Boogie Chillen. These recordings seem to have had a pivotal effect on “race music” going into the ‘50’s—Chess Records, Howling Wolf and BB King, etc.