Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

This Aussie singer was popular in the early to mid '70s. Many have not heard of her and of those who have, many have forgotten. Her voice was good by not great. Her personality was tame. So she was easy to forget. But she was notable for some of her work.

I Am Woman was her biggest hit. As trite as it sounds today, it was a little edgy back then and an anthem for the women's movement.

What I liked was her subdued, melodic tunes. Here's a favorite written by Paul Williams, a brilliant songwriter of pop tunes with great melodies and sappy lyrics.

Paul Williams | Songwriters Hall of Fame

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Marty Grass;1064866]This Aussie singer was popular in the early to mid '70s. Many have not heard of her and of those who have, many have forgotten. Her voice was good by not great. Her personality was tame. So she was easy to forget. But she was notable for some of her work.

"I Am Woman" was her biggest hit. As trite as it sounds today, it was a little edgy back then and an anthem for the women's movement.

What I liked was her subdued, melodic tunes. Here's a favorite written by Paul Williams, a brilliant songwriter of pop tunes with great melodies and sappy lyrics.

Yes sir. During the 70's the women's movement needed a theme song. Many marched to Ms. Reddy's voice.
    RIP

User Info Menu

I remember "I Am Woman." It was huge. RIP, Helen Reddy.

User Info Menu

I was going to say that I remember watching the Helen Reddy TV show each week, because it was one of the few ways to hear popular music on the TV.

And I was going to say how her show was kinda like the Mac Davis music/comedy weekly show.

And then I read that they both died Sept 29. Weird.

RIP.

User Info Menu

Helen will not be known as a major artist of the 20th century, nor will Mac Davis. Her death made me pause and reflect on how hard it is and was to be a successful entertainer, let alone legend. I can only imagine the endless hours of work and worry that went into her career. She made it look easy and natural when she was performing though.

It's a tough industry, even to be in the middle of the pack.

User Info Menu

She had six consecutive number one singles in the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. In Australia, she is regarded as a national treasure.

Above all, she wrote and performed the feminist anthem of our times. As she remarked, with characteristic modesty, "I’ve reached a lot of people in a simplistic manner who would never go to a lecture or read an article on women’s lib.”

She will be remembered.

User Info Menu

Her music brings back memories of me cruising around in my 68’ Pontiac Lemans without a care in the world. It was a different time back then - and memories of these songs bring us back in an emotional way. I’d take most of that time period over today in a heart beat.

Some of Helen’s songs will resonate with us forever- and may she Rest In Peace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I was going to say that I remember watching the Helen Reddy TV show each week, because it was one of the few ways to hear popular music on the TV.

And I was going to say how her show was kinda like the Mac Davis music/comedy weekly show.

And then I read that they both died Sept 29. Weird.

RIP.
    A high school friend of mine posted that he saw them together on a twinbill back in the 70’s as his first concert. Sad news indeed.

Helen certainly had a big voice, and had some good material that kept her on the top of the charts for quite awhile.

I am not ashamed to say that the reason I liked watching her program at my Grandma’s house was that she was usually braless.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I am not ashamed to say that the reason I liked watching her program at my Grandma’s house was that she was usually braless.
    That's Helen who was braless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    That's Helen who was braless!
    Making an assumption, aren't ya there??

My gram might have been braless--she weighed about 80 lbs soaking wet, would have been hard to tell. Don't mess with her, though...

Uh, yes, Helen. She was a striking woman, and looking back on those videos she certainly reflected a certain stylish look from that time.