User Info Menu

Saw this on Netflix last night...just wanted to watch something on TV with some music in it. It was surprisingly enjoyable and informative. He really did have a golden ear, and despite his rather button-downed demeanor—a lawyer by training—he was eclectic in his tastes.

He made Columbia the largest record company in the world, and signed Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and Bruce Springsteen among many others, later brought artists like Aretha over to Arista.

He also made Whitney Houston into the biggest star of her time, and was devastated by her downfall—he said she was like a daughter to him.

Anyway, he is arguably one of the most important figures in pop music for almost 4 decades, and probably very few people outside of the music biz know his name.

Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 09-27-2020 at 11:33 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Anyway, he is arguably one of the most important figures in pop music for almost 4 decades, and probably very few people outside of the music biz know his name.
    including you...its clive davis!!! hahaha

sorry i couldn't resist

yeah clive was a force in the record business..arista records was his..you either loved him or hated him

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    including you...its clive davis!!! hahaha

sorry i couldn't resist

yeah clive was a force in the record business..arista records was his..you either loved him or hated him

cheers
    Fixed it! LOL...a typo, though he looks a little like Larry David...

There’s some stuff on Miles in the doc as well—Miles being a Columbia artist. He really seemed to take an interest in all his talent, even the hip-hop stars, who were a couple of decades younger.

According to the doc, he advised Miles to borrow some tricks from Santana and move in a more electric direction, and got him booked at the Fillmore. Not that Miles wouldn’t have done it on his own, but in terms of increasing his record and concert sales, Davis gave excellent advice.

User Info Menu

Just saw it, loved it. So many great moments. A few tears were shed.

Davis came across as a mensch from the very beginning when he says he turned down Janis Joplin when she said "let's go to bed together" and Clive replied "it's a compliment, but we're not going to mix business and pleasure".

And (sorry Pat!) I even gained a better appreciation for the rise of Kenny G whose career Clive launched (again, sorry Pat!): "He might not have been the greatest jazz saxophone player, but those pop melodies, those notes that he hit, the looks that he had, he could be a star".

I did find it a bit irksome when Ahmet Ertegun (Atlantic) told an amusing story about how Davis snagged Moby Grape, but no mention about how Columbia contributed to the ultimate failure of the group. Came away wondering if it was a bit too hagiographic, although you can't really find much negativity towards Davis himself (except from Kelly Clarkson).