The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

I ran across this video of "Pent Up House" in which a fellow played a mandolin. Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I have to say I love how it cut through the mix. I assume it was an electric mandolin, right? Is there such a thing or was it just mic'd up? Either way, I enjoyed the tone and the player. It was so "ever-present."

I have read here where many don't like playing their archtops past the 12th fret, but if it is going to give me this kind of sound, I am going to have to break that practice and give it a try.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pete Martin who hangs on the board quietly is a fine jazz player on his mandolin...

User Info Menu

The electric mandolin has been a thing since before Tiny Moore had Paul Bigsby build one for him, somewhere around 1950. For a more recent take, check Don Stiernberg and Paul Glasse. Especially Stiernberg. He has a trio that includes Andy Brown, and they're killer. Lots of videos on YouTube.

Tiny Moore forced me to start building electric mandolins, because I couldn't find any to buy. Michael Stevens built a lot of them, but I'm not sure he's still working at it.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 09-16-2020 at 10:38 PM.

User Info Menu

David Grisman made a record w jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli in the 80s I believe

User Info Menu

Grisman did ground-breaking work bringing 70s jazz to the string-band. Here's the "Quintet '80" band in action -- Mark O'Connor (guitar), Darol Anger (violin), Mike Marshall (mandolin) and Rob Wasserman (bass) playing "Dawg's Rag"

People don't need to like jazz to like this.

User Info Menu

garcia & grisman do miles

so what?

cheers

User Info Menu

Here's some mando jazz, from when Tiny was still using a modified Gibson A model. This is some of what ruined my life for awhile.

Mission to Moscow was first recorded by Benny Goodman. I'm sure everyone has heard the other tune. Tiny Moore could play.

User Info Menu

Also Jason Anick and Aaron Weinstein. Weinstein has a couple of albums that feature John Pizzarelli, and he's on some of Bucky's albums.

User Info Menu

Nice playing!

Chris Thile is one of the current masters of the instrument who has shown he can play pretty much anything on his mando. He has more of a classical focus than many of the well-known players, who tend toward bluegrass.

And David Grisman is just in his own category. Like Doc Watson or Bela Fleck or Stefan Grapelli. Sui generis.]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Here's some mando jazz, from when Tiny was still using a modified Gibson A model. This is some of what ruined my life for awhile.

Mission to Moscow was first recorded by Benny Goodman. I'm sure everyone has heard the other tune. Tiny Moore could play.

Always dug that version of Mission, very hip. They were really dipping into jazz by the time the Tiffany transcriptions were recorded and they had the twin guitars thing going on w Tiny.
    Big Bob Wills Texas Playboys fan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I ran across this video of "Pent Up House" in which a fellow played a mandolin. Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I have to say I love how it cut through the mix. I assume it was an electric mandolin, right? Is there such a thing or was it just mic'd up? Either way, I enjoyed the tone and the player. It was so "ever-present."

I have read here where many don't like playing their archtops past the 12th fret, but if it is going to give me this kind of sound, I am going to have to break that practice and give it a try.

I have had the privilege of playing with three of those guys, including the mandolinist. He has a great feel for this music and I learned something from him about how to comp. I've also learned a good deal from the guitarist who has many videos on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Grisman did ground-breaking work bringing 70s jazz to the string-band. Here's the "Quintet '80" band in action -- Mark O'Connor (guitar), Darol Anger (violin), Mike Marshall (mandolin) and Rob Wasserman (bass) playing "Dawg's Rag"

People don't need to like jazz to like this.
    that's the same band on the Grappelli lp minus Anger, I guess it was Grisman's working band at the time

User Info Menu

Good stuff!!

How about this as a starter - a Rogue Electric Mandolin 99.00 US dollars

Rogue RM110AE Acoustic-Electric A-Style Mandolin Sunburst | Guitar Center

User Info Menu

Don Stiernberg is also top of the class for jazz mandolin. Here he is in an acoustic trio setting:

He has played with everyone, including Jethro and Grisman. Here’s a lengthy interview from the cafe.

Still want more info on jazz mandolin? There’s a ton of info here.

This is my all-time favorite Stiernberg track:

User Info Menu

David Grisman also has some albums with Martin Taylor. Most are acoustic duets, but one has a quartet, and it's really excellent jazz playing by all. Taylor is better known for playing set pieces, but on this one he and Grisman both demonstrate that they can improvise as well as almost anyone. Here is a tune I like:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Always dug that version of Mission, very hip. They were really dipping into jazz by the time the Tiffany transcriptions were recorded and they had the twin guitars thing going on w Tiny.
    Big Bob Wills Texas Playboys fan
    tiffany transcriptions long my fave wills recordings...

wills had some great guitarists..jimmy wyble, junior barnard, eldon shamblin

cheers

User Info Menu

The original "twin guitars" thing was Jimmy Wyble and Cameron Hill. Later it went through several iterations, including Leon McAuliffe/Eldon Shamblin, and by the time the Tiffany Transcriptions were recorded, it was a trio playing like a horn section, with Shamblin, Herb Remington, and Tiny Moore. That section was a great sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan

I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the guitarist in the video is our forum member Reg.

User Info Menu

The Tiffany Transcriptions are a treasure, as is Tiny. He sounds very Charlie Christian like at times on these.

Mandolin works great acoustically in a jazz setting if the other instruments aren’t too loud. I’ve played several times in duos with piano or trios with bass where we play with no PA in small places and they hear us just fine. When playing with horns and drums, I will play 5 string electric.

I did a recording of Wes Montgomery tunes a couple years back, it’s a free download for anyone interested.
    Jazz-Mandolin Pete Martin Plays Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I'm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned the guitarist in the video is our forum member Reg.
    Thanks for pointing that out. That was/is a nice, little band there. They definitely had that "groove" that Reg often alludes to. And I was groovin.'

User Info Menu

the late great john abercrombie often recorded with electric mandolin...his first was the classic fender 4 string

JK: On a duet album you did with John Scofield you cover Wes Montgomery’s “Four on Six.” It sounds great on that.

JA: That particular tune came out very well and there’s one of Scofield’s called “Small Wonder” that I used a chorus effect on.

JK: Did you ever listen to Tiny Moore when he played in Bob Wills’ band?

JA: Actually the first mandolin player I ever heard was Jethro Burns of Homer and Jethro and I heard a bit of Tiny Moore but I really had no exposure to the mandolin or bluegrass. I’d heard Homer & Jethro [Burns] and that stuck with me. Later I heard David Grisman and liked him a lot but that’s quite different. Mostly my inspiration came from seeing Jerry Goodman’s Fender.

Small Wonder: John Abercrombie Loves His Electric Mandolin | Fretboard Journal

cheers

User Info Menu

Ah but John tuned his like a guitar not a mandolin...

User Info Menu

This is one of those performances that I revisit over and over. I am very interested in the mandolin. Is it acoustic electric like an acoustic electric guitar? Or does it have an electric guitar pickup? Who is the player? I hear very mice reverb, does
    It come from the amp? Can someone recommend one? Thanks for any info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    ...Here's the "Quintet '80" band in action -- Mark O'Connor (guitar), Darol Anger (violin), Mike Marshall (mandolin) and Rob Wasserman (bass) playing "Dawg's Rag"

Mark O’Connor, on guitar in this video, is best known as a violinist/fiddler at this point in his life, but he is also a mandocello aficionado.

Here’s an Instagram link to my image of his concert with his wife here in the pines last year. Apparently he’s had this 1914 Gibson mando since he was a kid.

Login • Instagram

I’ll try to dig up the original image on my Big iMac later for folks who don’t do I-gram.

Re Abercrombie’s tuning tendency, I tune my mandola like a 4-string guitar. No tuning paradigm shift required.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    Mark O’Connor, on guitar in this video, is best known as a violinist/fiddler at this point in his life, but he is also a mandocello aficionado.

Here’s an Instagram link to my image of his concert with his wife here in the pines last year. Apparently he’s had this 1914 Gibson mando since he was a kid.

Login • Instagram

I’ll try to dig up the original image on my Big iMac later for folks who don’t do I-gram.

Re Abercrombie’s tuning tendency, I tune my mandola like a 4-string guitar. No tuning paradigm shift required.
    I am sorry rhl, I was referring to the original video of "Pent Up House." I would love to know the Mandoloin player's name and info on his instrument. I just love the brightness of the guitar (Reg) and the mandolin, as well as the high energy solos. The video just exudes joy. Something I can use more of, these days.