The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Maybe Reg can supply his name.

Certainly it’s hard to imagine a mandolin not sounding joyous. But it can sound fussy, fidgety, manic...Which reminds me:

There’s an early TS Eliot poem that includes the couplet

the pleasant whine

of a mandoline...

Nice version of Pent-Up House in any case!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Speaking of joyous sounds from a jazz mandolin, here's David Grisman (mandolin) and Martin Taylor (guitar) from the Tone Poems II album in 1995 on "Here's That Rainy Day."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I am sorry rhl, I was referring to the original video of "Pent Up House." I would love to know the Mandoloin player's name and info on his instrument. I just love the brightness of the guitar (Reg) and the mandolin, as well as the high energy solos. The video just exudes joy. Something I can use more of, these days.
    It appears to be a guy called Tom Bekeny (I googled Kensington circus pub mandolin and this came up, details are in the YouTube video description):

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It appears to be a guy called Tom Bekeny (I googled Kensington circus pub mandolin and this came up, details are in the YouTube video description):

gb, you are a dangerous man with those sleuthing skills. Remind me not to anger you, and thanks.

I noticed that pub is in the San Francisco Bay Area, near Berkley, California, where the Musician's Institute can be found. There must be some great music being made around there in the small clubs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Ah, success. I found out that Tom is in several groups, including that one with Reg, called "The Missing Man Quartet" (assuming the website is up-to-date). They also go by the name, "MM4."

I will keep this in mind for future reference, as I sometimes go to that area in my travels. Would be nice to catch a show, if there is any live music left around there after this COVID onslaught.

Tom Bekeny, Bluegrass, Jazz, Bands

Again, Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    gb, you are a dangerous man with those sleuthing skills. Remind me not to anger you, and thanks.

I noticed that pub is in the San Francisco Bay Area, near Berkley, California, where the Musician's Institute can be found. There must be some great music being made around there in the small clubs.
    no worries, I can’t be bothered to get angry about anything any more, takes too much effort!

User Info Menu

Besides those mentioned here a few more folks:

Michael Lampert....has a few albums of jazz mandolin played on electric 4 string. Here is link to some audio:

http://www.sojournerrecords.net/

I also always enjoyed the Jazz Mandolin Project led by Jamie Masefield. Perhaps more jam band then jazz. Always loved this song which has a definite Metheny vibe to my ears:

User Info Menu

One more with the Missing Man Quartet and their Mandolin player, Tom, and our Reg on guitar.

User Info Menu

Michael Lampert has released a fairly new album. He is strictly on electric four string solid body mandolin here, accompanied by a very fine guitarist, also first rate bassist and drummer.

User Info Menu

Eva Scow on her Godin.

User Info Menu

I hadn't heard of Eva Scow, a fine mandolinist. Thanks for the post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam9
    Michael Lampert has released a fairly new album. He is strictly on electric four string solid body mandolin here, accompanied by a very fine guitarist, also first rate bassist and drummer.

Sounds great. I always though Michael had a way of making the electric mandolin sound bigger then it's range. If that makes any sense. I took a couple of lessons from Michael a bunch of years ago. He was California based but came back east to visit his parents who were living a few miles away from me. Michael used to occasionally post here...Michael you out there?

User Info Menu

IMO the best jazz mandolinist playing today is Don Stiernberg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    David Grisman made a record w jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli in the 80s I believe
    Yes, they did. I saw the tour they did and it was great. Stephane Grappelli was such a gentleman to the much, much younger musicians on the stage.

User Info Menu

I have that CD. To me the highlight is the Satin Doll cut with Tiny Moore. Tiny inspired me to build solid-body 5-string electric mandolins, because I couldn't find any to buy. He was one of the best ever, IMHO.

User Info Menu

Isaac Eicher.

User Info Menu

Eicher is another I haven't heard of. The violinist, Jason Anick, is equally as good on mandolin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Eicher is another I haven't heard of. The violinist, Jason Anick, is equally as good on mandolin.
    Yes, he is. I met Jason at an Augusta swing week. Couldn't get him to play any mandolin but he was burning that fiddle all week.

User Info Menu

The king of mandolin chord melody and world's foremost bowtie advocate.

User Info Menu

I love music and if you do also and have Amazon Prime The Sam Bush Story documentary is stellar...
    Last edited by BFrench; 02-07-2021 at 12:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's the same tune by an earlier version of the Missing Man Quartet.
    BTW, the band name makes more sense when there are 3 people in the band.