The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Just came across this clip of Patrick McGoohan ( of 'Danger Man' and 'The Prisoner' fame) miming extremely convincing jazz drumming. He apparently practiced for hours on end for this role.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thought Danger Man was a typo, but I looked it up and found that it was the original British TV show name for Secret Agent Man in the USA. Then I saw this interesting little note:

All the lead characters share the last names of jazz musicians Thelonious Monk, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and Louis Prima.

User Info Menu

i've posted about that film before..by the great uk director basil dearden-all night long

some great jazz throughout and an appearance by mingus!

also tubby hayes , john dankworth and dave brubeck!

cheers

User Info Menu

I've just ordered it :-)

User Info Menu

Saw that movie couple years ago and liked it a lot.
    Turns out I am a huge fan of Danger Man and the Prisoner too...

User Info Menu

grainer!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    grainer!

cheers
    Featuring two excellent studio players on dual lead guitar: Vic Flick and Martin Kershaw.

User Info Menu

Got it and seen it.

Regrettably, not a great film at all. The woman, over whom the men were fighting, was - sorry - over the hill. If she wasn't 49 she looked it. Which, according to my calculations, is absurd because the film was made in 1962 and she was born in 1933. That makes her - to my amazement - about 30 but they aged quicker in those days.

McGoohan wasn't born to be a villain, which is why he made such a good Danger Man. He didn't carry a gun and didn't fool around with the women. He has a sort of natural upstandingness to him which makes him an unnatural baddie.

The story was okay if rambling and the music was mediocre. The three greats, Mingus, Brubeck and Dankworth had minimal exposure and what there was was a bit wallpaper. As the clip here suggested, McGoohan playing the drums was excellent, made even more excellent because it was really him doing it... things you didn't know about people. But he doesn't come over like a musician even when acting, he's still an action man doing a job.

The best of it was Paul Harris' Othello, he was pretty good. Richard Attenborough was up to scratch, Keith Michell was fine, and Bernard Braden made a decent money-centred manager.

So it was okay. I'd hoped for more but a niggling voice at the back of my head said don't be surprised if it doesn't make it. On a good jazz note, Mingus had a short speaking part and the huge presence of the man made itself felt. You had to be quick to see it but it was there.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy it... except I already did. Well, you have to find out, don't you? :-)

User Info Menu

"McGoohan wasn't born to be a villain, which is why he made such a good Danger Man"

He did a pretty good job of it as the warden in Escape From Alcatraz...."they drowned......"

User Info Menu

Yes, he did. Hard and cynical. But in this he was sneaky and weak, or supposed to be. Not his best style.

It was all right for a 60's B/W movie with jazz. Probably a good idea too, to take off Othello. But two of the characters were miscast, imo, and the 'best jazz musicians in the world' weren't really showcased, if at all.

I know I'm critical, but I'm RIGHT!
    Last edited by ragman1; 08-26-2020 at 12:39 AM.

User Info Menu

btw, that was Allen Ganley ghosting the drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "McGoohan wasn't born to be a villain, which is why he made such a good Danger Man"

He did a pretty good job of it as the warden in Escape From Alcatraz...."they drowned......"
    He did a couple of Columbo's too, including a directing stint on one IIRC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olliehalsall
    He did a couple of Columbo's too, including a directing stint on one IIRC.
    I think you're right, I forgot he was even on the show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Got it and seen it.

Regrettably, not a great film at all. The woman, over whom the men were fighting, was - sorry - over the hill. If she wasn't 49 she looked it. Which, according to my calculations, is absurd because the film was made in 1962 and she was born in 1933. That makes her - to my amazement - about 30 but they aged quicker in those days.

McGoohan wasn't born to be a villain, which is why he made such a good Danger Man. He didn't carry a gun and didn't fool around with the women. He has a sort of natural upstandingness to him which makes him an unnatural baddie.

The story was okay if rambling and the music was mediocre. The three greats, Mingus, Brubeck and Dankworth had minimal exposure and what there was was a bit wallpaper. As the clip here suggested, McGoohan playing the drums was excellent, made even more excellent because it was really him doing it... things you didn't know about people. But he doesn't come over like a musician even when acting, he's still an action man doing a job.

The best of it was Paul Harris' Othello, he was pretty good. Richard Attenborough was up to scratch, Keith Michell was fine, and Bernard Braden made a decent money-centred manager.

So it was okay. I'd hoped for more but a niggling voice at the back of my head said don't be surprised if it doesn't make it. On a good jazz note, Mingus had a short speaking part and the huge presence of the man made itself felt. You had to be quick to see it but it was there.

To be honest, I wouldn't buy it... except I already did. Well, you have to find out, don't you? :-)
    Good review of ANL! If not for all the jazz musicians in it, I probably wouldn't have watched it. Cleo Laine made a short appearance in it, too.
    Good Dankworth score in it. The UK had a thriving jazz scene until those four mop tops sent Tubs and the rest of them scuffling for work.
    I still believe Terry Smith was the best mainstream (Wes, Burrell, Grant Green)
    jazz guitarist from the UK back in the 60s and 70s, if only from the lack of competition...

User Info Menu

two greats...mcgoohan and falk...both born in nyc!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I still believe Terry Smith was the best mainstream (Wes, Burrell, Grant Green)
    jazz guitarist from the UK back in the 60s and 70s, if only from the lack of competition...
    Louis Stewart ?

Actually he was Irish wasn't he .

All night long is quite a silly film but has a certain vintage charm .