The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    you were wise not going into this :-) and instead focusing on music, and I have to agree, my bad.

Talking about broadcast, programmed content I think it is the past. Now I have all my heroes online, either on Spotify or Apple music, and this collection is bigger than I ever hoped. I listen it on demand, and my choice is free, I feel myself very rich, and I live in a dream. (strictly in aspect of music listening, other things do not go such well :-)
    Oh it’s unbelievable! Everything at the touch of a button. On the go.

the thing I find myself missing is the thing where you hear something you’d never normally listen to on broadcast (or watch on TV) and it changes your world.... I don’t think playlists and AI’s seem able to provide us with that shock of the new.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh it’s unbelievable! Everything at the touch of a button. On the go.

the thing I find myself missing is the thing where you hear something you’d never normally listen to on broadcast (or watch on TV) and it changes your world.... I don’t think playlists and AI’s seem able to provide us with that shock of the new.
    to get a shock now we are going here :-). Jokes aside, this forum has a similar function, really widening the listener scope.
    Also, I do dedicated discovery intentionally myself, and trying to go outside my listening comfort zone regularly.

User Info Menu

I have subscriptions with several streaming services and prefer Pandora to the others I use.

Between the 'thumbs up', 'Crowd Faves', 'Discovery', 'Deep Cuts', 'Artist Only', and the ability to directly add artists to a station, or listen to an album in it's entirety, it seems to give me a good range of options. It's nice for listening to stuff I already know I like or discovering something new.

Of course, I still buy a lot of vinyl from Amazon, and those albums show up directly in Amazon Music, so I end up using that sometimes, too.

And it seems that a lot of people post Spotify playlists, so I go to Spotify to listen to those.

We also have a Youtube music service that comes with our family subscription, but I haven't used it much yet.
    Last edited by morroben; 08-24-2020 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

There are plenty of jazz digital radio stations from around the world that have human DJs picking non-repeating selections and they are also available on Alexa. Specific stations have been suggested in a few threads here.

User Info Menu

Nick Tipping once devoted an hour of his Inside Out programme on Radio New Zealand Concert to players called Red (Norvo, Mitchell, Garland, etc.) I cannot imagine an algorithm doing something as inspired.

User Info Menu

I use Pandora a lot, and it's great as long as you tell it what to do.

Since Spotify bought Pandora a while ago, most features (like playlists) are now on both platforms, but you have to learn how to use it. If you just play one of their lame pre-fab stations, it's like only learning C, F and G chords on your guitar and complaining that you can't play jazz.

Make stations from artists. you'll hear that artist and others like them that you may have never heard before. Use the thumbs up and down feature religiously to fine tune the algorithm. Make a bunch of them. I have 70 or 80 that cover a huge range of mostly jazz styles. You can make a Terje Rypdal station, or a Oz Noy station, and you would never hear either of those guys on one of the prefab "jazz" stations.

Then you can use Pandora's best feature: The shuffle selection. Once you've made a bunch of stations from artists that you like, go inside the shuffle feature, and rather than just shuffling through everything, select which stations to shuffle between. You can listen to a stream of varied music custom created by you that will play music you know, and also artists in the same vein that you've never heard before, who you can also create stations from.

User Info Menu

Just fyi, it does appear that music files hosted on a home server or storage device can be added as a "source" within the Pandora app. Just open the Settings menu, click on "add a source," and then navigate to your music folder or folders (provided it shows up on your local network).

(Warning: I have not tried this myself, but sounds like it could give jazz fans the best of both worlds -- music from their own collections combined with Pandora's songlist and deejaying tools. Then again, the whole of point of using services like Pandora and Spotify is to find music you may not have heard before, so who knows.)

Edit: Just checked on this after a question from zdub and it appears I made a boo-boo. It seems I was looking at a Spotify how-to and not one from Pandora. Here's the link, which I should have shared yesterday: How to Play Your Local Music Collection on Spotify

In any case, what got me started on this was the idea that maybe you could unleash one of these proprietary music-selection algorithms on a personal music collection, thereby creating some new and interesting juxtapositions -- not entirely random, but also not based on previous listening habits and prejudices. Maybe someone who tries using Spotify could report back on whether it works for this.
    Last edited by billv; 08-26-2020 at 10:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billv
    Just fyi, it does appear that music files hosted on a home server or storage device can be added as a "source" within the Pandora app. Just open the Settings menu, click on "add a source," and then navigate to your music folder or folders (provided it shows up on your local network).

(snip)
    I don't see this option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    I use Pandora a lot, and it's great as long as you tell it what to do.

Since Spotify bought Pandora a while ago, most features (like playlists) are now on both platforms, but you have to learn how to use it. If you just play one of their lame pre-fab stations, it's like only learning C, F and G chords on your guitar and complaining that you can't play jazz.
    (snip)
    Different companies altogether. Sirius XM purchased Pandora. Spotify is its own company based in Sweden.

User Info Menu

kcsm.org folks. Live DJs almost always (they've cut back overnight due to covid) and one of the largest (if not the largest) jazz collections in the USA (acquired from KJAZ)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

" who gets to be the cultural gatekeepers etc... " Christianm77

Hi, C,
    I have always opposed public funding for the Arts and the reason is that politicians and "boards of professionals" pick and choose who gets the money. I was involved with literary publishing(poetry, fiction) in the 70's through the early 90's. And, the monies awarded to writers and the publication of their works was directly influenced and dominated by half-baked university professors and hipster, junk novelists/poets who promoted their own agenda which always led to promoting other aspiring junk novelists/poets who ultimately faded into the sunset and undoubtedly to university classrooms where they proselytized their junk mantra to new generations of aspiring writers. Those of real talent almost never had early success or financial help but ultimately lasted and published in this very esoteric world.
    However, I see music differently. The two American Art forms: Classical and Jazz music will need government assistance to ultimately survive in the coming decades. The reason is ,simply, fewer people who vote with their dollars vote for these art forms. Classical music today is relying on popular entertainers, Pops Orchestras and Broadway musicals to fill their halls in order to promote quality Classical music for the rest of the year. Jazz has morphed throughout the years in an attempt to survive and capture a piece of concert/record sales with dismal results. And, although a commendable job is being done by Wynton Marsalis' Jazz at Lincoln Center, in 2016, its annual budget was 50 million dollars. So, if we want these art forms to survive, we must provide support. The problem is: who chooses in light of my example in literary publication illustrates?
    For those who are students of History, we can trace throughout the ages periods of abundance and drought-- artistically and culturally. People vote with their dollars and quality music, in my opinion, is on the wane. The three most popular forms of music worldwide are pop, rock and dance/electric music. Will Classical and Jazz survive without government support? The proof is in the pudding, as some say . . . maybe we should ask Georgie Porgie? Play live . . . Marinero