The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

For people who have been on the forum a long time, the death of Patrick still leaves a felt absence. Some saw him as provocative, opinionated and blunt. He was all those things. But he knew a ton of arcane and practical information about jazz guitar he was eager to share. He also helped many, many people behind the scenes and was generous in his time. That is what I remember most.

Patrick Amato Obituary - Toms River, NJ

Those of you who were here five years ago, this thread shows some of the same cast of characters here today plus some of Patrick's comments. Take the time to revisit and remember who we were.

thunk and Gibson Archtop Guitars

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah whenever an old thread gets revived and I see his posts I do a double take and read em for old times sake, sometimes w a wince sometimes w a laugh. but either way he always got your attention.
    rip PA

User Info Menu

I think about Patrick every time I take the D'Angelico New Yorker replica out of it's case. That guitar was in Patrick's avatar and I feel lucky to be her caretaker (as I am sure Patrick did). RIP

User Info Menu

Thanks Doc for remembering Patrick. I think of him often because of the Super Eagle he sold me.

He was talking about selling me one of his Unity archtops before he died. Then, Doc, you found one for me.

Patrick, is it Heritage or Gibson beyond the Pearly Gates?

User Info Menu

We didn't always see eye to eye, but I sure miss him.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I think those of us with Patrick's guitars in our collection should add to this memory by posting a picture. Here is Patrick's New Yorker along with my Fender Deco-Tone amp. Some serious Art Deco going on here....5th Anniversary of the Passing of Patrick-deco-pair-jpg

User Info Menu

Patrick and I crossed paths (never swords) over on the Heritage Owners Club forum as well as here. He was so knowledgeable on all things Heritage, and very helpful whenever we interacted. The stories about his relationship with the original Heritage owners was always enjoyable reading, especially when he pushed them to do custom iterations of their designs. RIP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Patrick and I crossed paths (never swords) over on the Heritage Owners Club forum as well as here. He was so knowledgeable on all things Heritage, and very helpful whenever we interacted. The stories about his relationship with the original Heritage owners was always enjoyable reading, especially when he pushed them to do custom iterations of their designs. RIP
    Speaking of HOC, the website has operated for a few days. Is it gone for good?

Patrick and I started out feuding in our first correspondence. It was about the nobility and value of The Guitar Center. I found him pig headed and dense. He probably thought I was naive. I considered him a troubled moron. It took a while to realize that he had a different and brazen way of discussing things, in person and on forums. Within a week or so we started to become friends. He knew a ton of arcane information about guitars, amps, and music. Some was opinion based on soft theories luthiers and musicians often have. Some was practical and reliable, like how guitars are market, doing repairs, wood sourcing, and playing behind the beat vs. in the pocket.

He helped many people off line with countless hours spent.

His demeanor got him banned from HOC several times then permanently. He also had his run ins on this forum. Notice he was Patrick2. That's because the first Patrick was also banned. I would describe his transgressions as a little naughty and at times confrontational. But he did not flaunt his endless generosity behind the scenes.

The world is less interesting without him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I think those of us with Patrick's guitars in our collection should add to this memory by posting a picture.
    I'm the proud owner of Patrick's 1996 Gibson L5 CES. He purchased it new from Cintioli Music in Philadelphia, PA. Although he often referred to it in Forum posts as a 1994, his son Chris and I confirmed that it is in fact a 1996.

RIP P2.

5th Anniversary of the Passing of Patrick-pa_l5_1-png5th Anniversary of the Passing of Patrick-pa_l5_02-jpg

User Info Menu

I miss you, Patrick Amato. RIP.

User Info Menu

Patrick's outspoken online persona hid a generous nature and a loving heart. He contained multitudes. I still miss him. He played a big part in making JGO the fascinating place it is. Ave! Amicus!

User Info Menu

I to remember Patrick though I (as an European) never met him other than on this forum. He was indeed blunt and opinionated, but he always went for the ball, not the man. He could often argue vigorously with other forum member about something just to agree completely with them on another matter the next day. He was a true patriot and always stood up for his country strongly but despite his sometimes strong views he was never too big to listen to other views.

I remember one occasion where he had written something about Europe and the Europeans (I don't remember what any more). As I don't think politics belongs in a "multinational" forum like this and always ends up in conspiracy theories and nasty shouting, I wrote him a PM and quietly said that I respected his view and patriotism but as a European myself I saw it from another angle and explained why. He replied that he understood what I said and thinking about it actually had to agree with me. He ended the reply with "Peace, man" and a smiley.

I also remember an exchange he had with PTChris which seemingly got quite heated. I wrote a post saying that if the two of them had to fight in here, couldn't they please go outside. To my surprise, PTChris, who had taken the most beating, replied back that it was only for fun and the he and Patrick were actually best buddies. So sometimes it wasn't as bad as it could seem to the ininitiated (who didn't have US-English as his native language).

And then there was all those post through the years where people wrote about how he helped them and paved the way for them, for example when they wanted something special from Heritage.

I saw him as a typical "renaissance man" (I don't know if you Americans use that expression) - outspoken, honest, engaged, interested in many things and generous.

BTW, I also miss PTChris a lot on the forum. I have learned quite a lot about guitar setup and maintainence from his posts.

User Info Menu

Patrick was a proud former Marine. Thank goodness we never discussed politics. But I had the pleasure of getting to know him a bit away from the forum. I also admired his guitar market knowledge. I knew how to sell used audio gear before joining this forum. I took that same knowledge and began sampling and reselling guitars. But Patrick was the most knowledgeable reseller I ever met. And he generally got top dollar for the guitars he sold too. I can only imagine the conversations Patrick and Mark shared. RIP Marine!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Thanks Doc for remembering Patrick. I think of him often because of the Super Eagle he sold me.

He was talking about selling me one of his Unity archtops before he died. Then, Doc, you found one for me.

Patrick, is it Heritage or Gibson beyond the Pearly Gates?
    So, let me get this straight. I purchased your guitar from Mark, who’d swapped for it from Peter. Months later, I did a guitar trade with Peter who desired to reacquire your Heritage. Peter in turn traded a pair of Gibson Lucilles for your Heritage. And then Patrick acquires your guitar from whom, Peter or Mark?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    So, let me get this straight. I purchased your guitar from Mark, who’d swapped for it from Peter. Months later, I did a guitar trade with Peter who desired to reacquire your Heritage. Peter in turn traded a pair of Gibson Lucilles for your Heritage. And then Patrick acquires your guitar from whom, Peter or Mark?
    I believe Greentone got Lady Rose from Patrick. He then got a Unity from Kuz from HOC.

I can't even estimate how many guitars have gone back and forth with the guy in New York. Yesterday he got back a Heritage 157 with P90s and staples, basically a 1954 LP Custom, for the fourth time. We've shuttled at least four Lucilles back and forth. The list goes on. I would not be surprised to get the 157 P90 back again some day.

Sunday I got three guitars from Rhoadsscholar's son, two of which went back and forth between us and are a little bit unusual. The other one I helped Rhoads get from a mutual friend, but it arrived when Rhoads was in the hospital. He never opened the box. His estate has 37 other guitars, the vast majority I don't even remember with certainty. I asked his son to create a list. If he does, I'll post it. Fortunately his son is a guitarist and a very honest man.
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 08-19-2020 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Lady Rose was owned by several forum members--you (2b), Mark, etc.--but I acquired it from Patrick.

I think it's a keeper.

User Info Menu

Lady Rose was owned by several forum members--you (2b), Mark, etc.--but I acquired it from Patrick.

I think it's a keeper.
    Okay, so who did Patrick get Lady Rose from? I wasn’t aware that Patrick even knew Peter. Btw, it was I who dubbed her Lady Rose. When I first saw her shading it seemed to fit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Okay, so who did Patrick get Lady Rose from? I wasn’t aware that Patrick even knew Peter. Btw, it was I who dubbed her Lady Rose. When I first saw her shading it seemed to fit.
    Do you have a photo of "Lady Rose"?

User Info Menu

5th Anniversary of the Passing of Patrick-lady-rose-front-jpg5th Anniversary of the Passing of Patrick-lady-rose-back-jpg
    Peter got it from Wolfe Guitars, I believe. 2bornot2bop owned it, at some point. (I have pictures of it in his audiophile salon.) Mark (MG) owned it. I tried out several of Patrick's Super Eagles and settled in on Lady Rose...but I didn't ask from whom he purchased it. It has extra binding and a superb finish. Sounds good, too.

User Info Menu

Peter got it from Wolfe Guitars, I believe. 2bornot2bop owned it, at some point. (I have pictures of it in his audiophile salon.) Mark (MG) owned it. I tried out several of Patrick's Super Eagles and settled in on Lady Rose...but I didn't ask from whom he purchased it. It has extra binding and a superb finish. Sounds good, too.
    When I bought LR from Mark, Mark also had a single humbucker SE for sale, but it was in blonde. I preferred the single humbucker. But I prefer bursts, and also I observed the extra binding on LR, so my decision was made, Lady Rose it was.

I’m not surprised to hear this was a Wolfe guitar. Wolfe has a reputation for owning many great Heritage guitars in his stable. Lady Rose was so clean when I got her she appeared like she’d been preserved in a collection.

I think it’s the only time in history whereby someone paid 2 Lucilles for 1 Heritage.

User Info Menu

It's been seven years since he passed. No one has replaced him yet!!!

I think about him frequently. There was only one Patrick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    It's been seven years since he passed. No one has replaced him yet!!!

I think about him frequently. There was only one Patrick.
    I regret that I became active on this forum too late to know Patrick. His legacy is clearly deep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I regret that I became active on this forum too late to know Patrick. His legacy is clearly deep.
    You would have wondered, who is this guy! But if you ever had a phone call with him, you could tell that he had a huge heart behind his online persona.

And what a story teller he was! That man could talk! And did I mention sell his *SS off? I saw through his persona immediately. He was a really good man and I told him that I knew it. Miss you Marine!

In truth, this place hasn’t been the same since his passing, imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    He was a real and valuable presence here.

User Info Menu

I think about Patrick every time I take his D'Angelico II New Yorker out on a gig. Here is a pic from a recent event where I used that guitar: 5th Anniversary of the Passing of Patrick-da2and-me-jpg