The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 120 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I see. Do you think just 10 would be better?

Well, to be honest, I think that the 20 are basically just 1 repeated. Aren't they the purveyors of "It's only rock and roll but I like it!"?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are two kinds of jazz guitarist: those who engage in off-topic discussions, and those who create off-topic discussions in order to complain about off-topic discussions. I got this from an Alanis Morisette song.

John

User Info Menu

The Allman Brothers thread coolvinny posted had a link to a trailer of a Rahsaan Roland Kirk doc I didn't know existed.
    It was worth clicking on for me, I'm a big Roland Kirk fan so I'm glad it was posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    There are two kinds of jazz guitarist: those who engage in off-topic discussions, and those who create off-topic discussions in order to complain about off-topic discussions. I got this from an Alanis Morisette song.

John
    i would say isn’t it ironic, but Morisette has literally no understanding of the word irony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    See there, bebop is still influencing! What’s that, 70 years after Bird, and Monk, Dexter, and Diz. Who can forget Diz who became a world ambassador of the music. He’s on my living room wall you know. Cheeks inflated, blowing away, dressed to the nines.

Attachment 74589
    Fusing bop and Cuban rhythms. Sell out!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    The negative remarks in re: DB's comments are exactly WHY most people don't comment on other's performances. If you're only looking for praise, you'll never benefit from another player's critical remarks. And, the second recording of Reg's posted by CoolVinny sounds like a completely different player, to me, than in the first music video. So, if I were to listen to the two videos consecutively during a "blindfold test," I would never guess that player no. 1 is also player no. 2--they don't sound like the same guitarist.
    Further, I didn't feel DB's remarks were mean-spirited but rather an objective response based on his sensibilities as a talented musician. Isn't that what people should want if they post a video for criticism? And, after others read the negative remarks about DB's comments, how free will others feel to post critical comments about a performance that could potentially help the poster's playing in the future?
    Granted, we are all, in some degree, sensitive to negative criticism. However, in order to grow musically, we must take, seriously, the remarks of advanced players in regards to our own playing. Isn't this the process of a musical education and advanced study with a teacher. So, if our teachers only praised us, how could we ever grow musically? And, how many countless players like Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Mingus, Hancock, Correa, Coleman, and Shorter, for example, continued to experiment throughout their lives with different sounds and ideas as they continued to search for illusive perfection?
    So, if you are just looking for praise, don't post. However, I believe Reg took the criticism fairly and without animus as his previous remarks attest. Why else would one post a music video?
    Play live! . . . Marinero
    One of the things to realise about music is players day worse shit about each other behind each other’s back all the time; and you be foolish to think they aren’t saying that shit about YOU....

(Dutch candour can be very funny to watch as well.)

I was the worst at that. Now, I’d rather look for positives. And give compliments to people who aren’t in the room. It makes me a happier person I find.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    i would say isn’t it ironic, but Morisette has literally no understanding of the word irony.
    Let's hope she never does a song called "literally".

John

User Info Menu

Let's hope she never does a song called "literally".

John
    In every sense my use of the term is correct

User Info Menu

In every sense my use of the term is correct
    Yes it is. You literally used literally correctly. But imagine a Morisette-like understanding of irony applied to "literally". That would literally be giant steaming pile of crap.

John

User Info Menu

One of the things to realise about music is players day worse shit about each other behind each other’s back all the time; and you be foolish to think they aren’t saying that shit about YOU.....
    Joel Fass has made this same point as well. It's not just Miles...

User Info Menu

Yes it is. You literally used literally correctly. But imagine a Morisette-like understanding of irony applied to "literally". That would literally be giant steaming pile of crap.

John
    No it would be figuratively so.

User Info Menu

OTOH it is demonstrably the case that Alanis does not understand the word irony (at least at the time of writing that song)from her lyrics, and furthermore wrote the song, presumably with a pen.

Thus I win.

User Info Menu

No it would be figuratively so.
    Who's on first ...

John

User Info Menu

Bunch of fucking assholes, jazz guitarists. I hope I'm accepted as one.

User Info Menu

Me too. The meetings look like fun.

Excuse me, is this a jazz music forum?-dinner-pasta-amici-jpg

User Info Menu

George Carlin has a great rant about the misuse of words and sayings. "Irony" is one he does.

User Info Menu

OTOH it is demonstrably the case that Alanis does not understand the word irony (at least at the time of writing that song)from her lyrics, and furthermore wrote the song, presumably with a pen.

Thus I win.
    I guess it wasn't clear that my reference to Alanis Morisette's song was itself ironic. See, my actual comment was not ironic (it was absurd)., but tagging it with a reference to failed understanding of irony is ironic (and also recursive). I grew up on Goedel Escher Bach and Monty Python. Don't mess with me, or I'll say something absurd, ironic, and recursive. I am also a liar. So this entire comment is a paradox ... or is it?

John

User Info Menu

I guess it wasn't clear that my reference to Alanis Morisette's song was itself ironic. See, my actual comment was not ironic (it was absurd)., but tagging it with a reference to failed understanding of irony is ironic (and also recursive). I grew up on Goedel Escher Bach and Monty Python. Don't mess with me, or I'll say something absurd, ironic, and recursive. I am also a liar. So this entire comment is a paradox ... or is it?

John
    oh god we are the same person

User Info Menu

For those of you who do this for fun excellent! You get to miss all of the fun benefits of making a living as a guitarist
    1..) Low Pay
    2.) Told to load in early for no pay
    3.) No free parking!
    4.) Told to play the latest Rap Song LOL !
    5.) Told there's no meal for the band!
    6.) TURN DOWN!
    7.) We'll mail your check to you, Next Week!

User Info Menu

... I grew up on Goedel Escher Bach and Monty Python...
    John
    A favourite book of mine ...my other favoerite of his is ' The Mind's I '

Hofstadter recorded a CD of his piano music ; I'd like to hear it but it's as rare as hen's teeth .