The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Ha, well, maybe to post to help you to play better, so you can learn from a master? Of course, feel free to criticize, but be careful you may look silly and out of your league.
    Hi, H,
    And who decides what is major or minor leagues? Remember, Monk was berated as a bad pianist for many years before his creativity and uniqueness were finally realized by both other musicians and the public. Van Gogh believed he died a failure--minor league? Vermeer died in poverty--minor league? Gauguin's lack of commercial success and his distaste for the European Art world when he escaped to Tahiti--minor league? Poe died drunk and in debt in a gutter--minor league? I've never really understood who establishes taste in the Arts? Would you ever study with a teacher who you didn't respect as a great teacher or artist? How can you really know the talents of a person if they choose not to post videos and are not interested in others remarks? Well, some independent souls do not need internet recognition for their artistic life and their lack of desire has nothing to say about their talents or musicianship . . only that group consensus rings hollow in their ears. I have had the good fortune to play with some truly great musicians in my life . . . none of them can be found on Youtube or posting on internet forums. Perhaps, they're just "out of your league?" Play live! . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If there is anything I learned from this forum a long time ago is that no matter how good of a player you are there will always be some out there who are not fans of your playing or at least a certain aspect. Could happen vice-versa too. Your playing could be horrendous but some people may like your playing. Then there are the in-betweeners but nobody cares about those

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazznylon
    If there is anything I learned from this forum a long time ago is that no matter how good of a player you are there will always be some out there who are not fans of your playing or at least a certain aspect. Could happen vice-versa too. Your playing could be horrendous but some people may like your playing. Then there are the in-betweeners but nobody cares about those
    Right, horrendous players still stand out, but mediocre don't. Something like that?

User Info Menu

So you’re saying it’s more a forum for wannabes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Country and jazz are next door neighbours musically, or at least they can be. If country tunes were good enough for Sonny Rollins, there's no reason the rest of us should look down our noses
    One could say that. But I don’t see it. Perhaps Rollins was celebrating his southern roots, and being kind, I don’t know. But saying country and jazz are neighbors suggests a non understanding of jazz. What part of country do you feel is synonymous with jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I for one happen to be very glad that there is room for a few wannabe's in this forum. I really have nobody I can play for who has a clue what I"m trying to do, whether I'm doing it well, making progress, whatever. I am a full time, professional wannabe. And this forum has been a fantastic place for me to inflict my music on victims who actually choose to listen to my clips, who are gracious enough to encourage me, who point out where I'm getting it and where I'm, shall we say, still on the journey. Maybe still hunting for my shoes.

I raise my glass to wannabe's and poseurs everywhere. It is we who buy the CDs, buy the books by boatloads, subscribe to jazz music stations, tip generously when we hear live music, and try our best to play something worthwhile.

And I also raise my glass to all the kind, accomplished, and gracious folks on this forum who enable us.

User Info Menu

Country similarities to jazz, improvisation, virtuosity, both Americana. There are sub-genres of country... one of them is bluegrass and another is western swing. Another is modern bluegrass

User Info Menu

Jazz and Country

Both owe a huge debt to the blues, tin pan alley...both distinctly American.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Country similarities to jazz, improvisation, virtuosity, both Americana. There are sub-genres of country... one of them is bluegrass and another is western swing. Another is modern bluegrass
    I think these sub genre's of country are inventions by country musicians who were influenced by jazz. That happened around the world as well. There are some Middle Eastern folk musicians who play jazz influenced versions of their music. But that doesn't mean that styles are close in their historical contexts.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 08-04-2020 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Everything gets influenced by everything. That's why purism is doomed to failure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

I saw the Punch Brothers two years ago and it was the most obscene display of musical ability I've ever heard in my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Everything gets influenced by everything. That's why purism is doomed to failure.
    See there, bebop is still influencing! What’s that, 70 years after Bird, and Monk, Dexter, and Diz. Who can forget Diz who became a world ambassador of the music. He’s on my living room wall you know. Cheeks inflated, blowing away, dressed to the nines.

Excuse me, is this a jazz music forum?-6e9310e9-b81e-41e4-bbb1-2db8a2bea803-jpg

User Info Menu

Right, horrendous players still stand out, but mediocre don't. Something like that?
    Yes..!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Yes.. But I think thats an inevitability. Nothing special. While there have been cases of pros being driven out from here I'm not sure if its possible to have a forum dedicated exclusively to jazz guitar pros and even sustain it. Doesn't sound like a working model tbh but who knows? Anyways I like this forum, good enough I say!

User Info Menu

Btw, I met Diz. He was the godfather of a coworker. There I was star struck in the presence of greatness during a small family gathering.

User Info Menu

Yes.. But I think thats an inevitability. Nothing special. While there have been cases of pros being driven out from here I'm not sure if its possible to have a forum dedicated exclusively to jazz guitar pros and even sustain it. Doesn't sound like a working model tbh but who knows? Anyways I like this forum, good enough I say!

Wannabes and Alsorans....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Have to admit I am more interested in players who play interesting solos, it just seems to me that almost all of Reg’s videos are about comping/chords.
    I guess it depends on interest/taste and intangibles.

I have focused almost entirely on his comping when I watch his videos. That's because I'm chasing my own vision on soloing- and I actively try to avoid distractions. That's another post entirely.

Reg's comping is, IMO, world class. He can drive a band from the guitar chair like few players can. Time feel is superb in every note he plays. So, I've focused on trying to learn something from his videos in that area. In that area of playing, what I'm chasing is pretty much what he's teaching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I for one happen to be very glad that there is room for a few wannabe's in this forum. I really have nobody I can play for who has a clue what I"m trying to do, whether I'm doing it well, making progress, whatever. I am a full time, professional wannabe. And this forum has been a fantastic place for me to inflict my music on victims who actually choose to listen to my clips, who are gracious enough to encourage me, who point out where I'm getting it and where I'm, shall we say, still on the journey. Maybe still hunting for my shoes.

I raise my glass to wannabe's and poseurs everywhere. It is we who buy the CDs, buy the books by boatloads, subscribe to jazz music stations, tip generously when we hear live music, and try our best to play something worthwhile.

And I also raise my glass to all the kind, accomplished, and gracious folks on this forum who enable us.
    Boy, was that well said.

User Info Menu

Yea... It's all good. Sorry DB I didn't notice your Cher... challenge. I'll post something. like I said, I ,(and my Family), have loved not playing Music for a few months. Even the agents that keep me working seem cool. (although the calls are starting)... I think you need to have a good perspective about being on this Forum.... We generally all want... all of us to get better, or where ever we want to go or get with music... right. We may dish or post comments that may look cold etc... but... big picture, we're all guitar players and dig playing and hearing guitar music. Not that we don't love and appreciate music.

I'm lazy, at least with guitar, I haven't touched one in months... but chops were never that big of a deal for me, they were easy. DB's comments were soft... I didn't take them wrong. I mean work on the road with a bunch of really good musicians... you better have thick skin, think Brothers, or on the golf course etc... If you heard some of those comments, you would have thought war. Playing music is a privilege, even when your just working and most of the musicians I've worked with are like family... well second family.

Thanks RP for kind words

Anyway... I love listening and playing Bluegrass... county can be fun without the dogs, trucks and ex's etc... dig Chris Thile, one of the mando players I work with knows him, at least has worked with him. How bad is to host a PR gig...

User Info Menu

Yes, there can be very good players, highly regarded pros, who are just not offering up your cup of tea. A lot of fusion playing---which may be technically dazzling--just doesn't do much for me. But if someone posts a clip playing in that style I'm not going to say "I don't care for that style." It's not germane. I realize it's not for me and let it go.

Chord melody is this way for many. They may admire certain pieces by Joe Pass or Barney Kessel or Wes Montgomery but the style is not what they tend to listen to and if someone posts a chord melody they may click "Like" if it's well done but say nothing because they really have nothing to say about it. Some people think chord melody is the apex of jazz guitar while others think its technically adept muzak---easy listening, fine if you're in the mood but really, why bother? (This is not my view but it is a view held by many: chord melody is kind of a snooze, like cocktail piano.)

And hell, some people don't care for Pat Matheny and some don't care for Pat Martino. Both are masters but one can play and love jazz guitar without caring for one or the other (or both). As my dad used to say, "Some people don't like sweet milk."
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 08-04-2020 at 10:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Admirable the way Reg reacted to a few comments here, and sad to see how some people get triggered so easily.

I admit that I don't get how some don't get that the rolling stones, for example, might be construed as being a little out of place in a forum dedicated to jazz. I thought around the age of 15 "nah, that's just show business and posturing", and still have that opinion, but wouldn't go to a rock-pop forum to debate the point.

It's easy to hear the blues in jazz, but I'm not hearing country. Jimmie Rodgers' Blue Yodel 9 with L. Armstrong is blues .... with yodeling.

I would not personally post anything here looking for praise - I can get that at home or in my social circles if I wish. Constructive criticism, yes please.

The Punch Brothers are fantastic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Admirable the way Reg reacted to a few comments here, and sad to see how some people get triggered so easily.

I admit that I don't get how some don't get that the rolling stones, for example, might be construed as being a little out of place in a forum dedicated to jazz. I thought around the age of 15 "nah, that's just show business and posturing", and still have that opinion, but wouldn't go to a rock-pop forum to debate the point.

It's easy to hear the blues in jazz, but I'm not hearing country. Jimmie Rodgers' Blue Yodel 9 with L. Armstrong is blues .... with yodeling.

I would not personally post anything here looking for praise - I can get that at home or in my social circles if I wish. Constructive criticism, yes please.

The Punch Brothers are fantastic!
    It's very easy:
    Excuse me, is this a jazz music forum?-screen-shot-2020-08-05-10-53-33-jpg
    Oh, look, someone talks about The Allman Brothers and Thin Lizzy! That's it, there goes the neighborhood, Im telling ya.

User Info Menu

I admit that I don't get how some don't get that the rolling stones, for example, might be construed as being a little out of place in a forum dedicated to jazz.

Pfft.

If you scan the Forum's front page you will see sections ("subfora") devoted to various topics. Here are the names of several off the top of my head: Announcements; Chit Chat; The Builder's Bench; Composition; Classical Guitar; Other Styles; For Sale; Recording & Music Software; and Everything Else. All of these sections of the Forum are easily avoided by anyone who wishes to.

There is not now nor has there ever been a rule that every post and every thread must be about jazz guitar, or even about jazz. (Or guitar.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Nah, you don't know the Dutch.
    The rabbit should know, I would say (pun intended)

User Info Menu

It's very easy:
    Excuse me, is this a jazz music forum?-screen-shot-2020-08-05-10-53-33-jpg
    Oh, look, someone talks about The Allman Brothers and Thin Lizzy! That's it, there goes the neighborhood, Im telling ya.
    Fair enough, point taken

User Info Menu

This forum exists primarily to talk about jazz. But in doing that, it brings together people with one common interest who also share other interests with some others in the group. What's wrong with that? When I go out to play golf with other guys, for example, must we only talk about golf? The idea that we should talk here only about jazz strikes me as tedious and overly academic.