The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    wolflen, country music is a staple in US popular culture but I wonder how many non-stateside jazz aficionados dig it?

Hep, barking up the wrong tree here, man. Ain't no jazz fuzz around here. Read my premise (why more apparent interest in country than jazz in a jazz forum - pretty simple, eh?)

Ok, no one reads the composition forum, but see my above allusion to 50k thread views.

With reference to people who are learning (aren't we all?), cool, but this thread isn't for you.

CG, you're right, posters should use YT, soundcloud, whatever. That said, I didn't need to d/l Reg's mp3s to hear them.
    Here are my 2 cents. I joined this forum with a great hunger to figure out how to play Jazz. It seems to me that back then (around 2010) there were a lot more discussions on improvising, chord progressions, theory, approaches, etc... A person could bring up a subject, and there would be no shortage of people commenting with their points of view. There would be several threads going at one time, each hot with debate and interaction.

These days, there appears to be less interest in discussing the aforementioned topics. It that is true, there are probably many valid reasons, such as people growing tired of the contentious commenters who would get personal during the discussions, or as in my case, have enough practice material left to keep themselves occupied for a long time (and are having fun learning it, too!), so they man no longer want to hear some new idea or discuss new licks and such.

And let me add that there since there are a few different sub-genre's of Jazz, not every thread is going to appeal to everyone, further dividing participation.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    My ipad usually rejects any MP3 attachments to a post, and I am not going to download them, so forget it if it’s an MP3 file.

In fact there does not seem to be any simple way of downloading them with an iPad, you have to hold the file for several seconds then you get share, copy options, further sub menus etc. I can’t be arsed with all that.

In fact I did listen to Reg’s files at the time, but I had to log on to a desktop PC to do it.
    In the internet environment if you want a lot of people to listen you got to make it as easy as possible for them.

The world reach and massive content of the internet, the extraordinary has become so accessible that, well, extraordinary has become ordinary.

Reg, in my book, is extraordinary. But a post buried so deep in a thread, it's hard to find and I missed it. If he would have started a thread just for those tunes I think it would have gotten a lot more listens and comments, especially if it had been via youtube or an embedded soundcloud link.

User Info Menu

Obviously, we've figured out the answer-' click on Reg's links, you get music. But click on my video, you get music, and you get to look at my beautiful face for a few minutes.

User Info Menu

Looks like: Reg is a professional player and nowbody interested in.
    Funny forum...:-)

User Info Menu

Just looked at the Composition forum for the first time. All of the posts have several replies. Some of them have numerous replies. Couldn't see any posts by anyone called Reg. So I re-read this thread. I noted that the thing by Reg we're supposed to be listening to is one post among hundreds buried in a stickie post called 'Our own compositions: post them here'.

There's your answer, no mystery or controversy to it: any individual post will inevitably get ignored in one of those type of 'compendium' threads, it'll always end up overlooked compared to a standalone post in 'Showcase' or wherever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Have to admit I am more interested in players who play interesting solos, it just seems to me that almost all of Reg’s videos are about comping/chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    That's just not true. Reg has several long-running threads and his videos tend to get a lot of likes. He is well respected here. The only issue some have with him is that they find his elliptical posts hard to follow. (I was here for awhile before Reg's posts started making sense to me.)

I don't know why the Compositions thread gets little attention.
    It's worth noting that one of the most popular threads on this Forum is "what are you listening to now?" It is added to daily and many of the additions are from new (or newly released) recordings. Lots of old stuff too. But there's a lot of variety there.

I think one reason there's some interest in country playing is that those guys (-the best ones) play clean and accurate. They have solid technique as well as feel and flash. Good country players are the least "noodle-y" players around.

Hank Garland was a legendary country player before he did this:

User Info Menu

grahambop, there is, somewhere at home, an old iPad mini with a dodgy start button belonging to my daughter. I was thinking about getting it repaired but after reading your comments, it'll probably stay that way.

AlsoRan, I joined the forum with similar intentions and have learnt a great deal. I have also contributed where I could, in spite of averaging just over 1 post per week (just worked it out), paying a lot of attention to original material, my main area of interest. I think you have a point about the forum being more dynamic in the past.

Fep is right, there is so much readily accessible great stuff out there....

I said in that "composition thread" some time ago that the day I posted one of my little tunes, it would be in a separate thread for the reasons outlined by new member Matt Milton. I did, then it got deleted. Admin needs to review its policy in this regard, IMO.

I think Reg's "educational" posts are great, but you gotta run to keep up.

There's only one Hank Garland - great comping in that clip, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Obviously, we've figured out the answer-' click on Reg's links, you get music. But click on my video, you get music, and you get to look at my beautiful face for a few minutes.
    And often we hear those delightful children of yours who seem to be quite happy to have their daddy at home so much.

User Info Menu

Reg Dwight changed his name to Elton John and never looked back; worth bearing in mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Reg Dwight changed his name to Elton John and never looked back; worth bearing in mind.
    Not all smooth sailing with t he name change)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    And often we hear those delightful children of yours who seem to be quite happy to have their daddy at home so much.
    And don't forget about his new dog!

User Info Menu

... More recently I posted, also on a separate thread, a demo of an original tune which got two quick responses but when I saw another 100+ views with no more feedback, I got creeped out and removed the file.

I wonder what Reg would have to say about people not reviewing his stuff because the quality is "a given"...
    So, nobody cares about you and your playing. Just get over it.

Regarding Reg's tunes, he already posted those couple of times before, over years. They received a number of likes and comments. Probably, people do not feel like comenting and clicking like button again.

Sent from My Blog Page

User Info Menu

CG, you're right, posters should use YT, soundcloud, whatever. That said, I didn't need to d/l Reg's mp3s to hear them.
    All of Reg's tunes needed to be downloaded for me to hear them on my windows pc. Pain in the ass, and explains why some folks don't bother.

User Info Menu

Ragman1 put his Bolsover Road on YouTube with an attractively bleak photograph of said road.

And it is in Locrian. I was immediately entranced.

User Info Menu

Hi,P,
    This may not be the case in point, but many people do not respond to performances because:
    1. They don't like the music and see no reason to respond
    2. They do like the music but don't feel a need to respond
    If I comment on a performance, it is because I enjoyed it and want to point out why I enjoyed it musically. If I don't like a performance, I don't respond since people's feelings can easily be hurt. It is rare that someone says: please give me a constructive criticism of my playing--warts and all. Most people post music performances because they think it is good and, if anything, they want praise. That's my take. Play Live! . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Vladan, I have no idea what motivates you to post that kind of comment. It's a bit sad and not exactly true, either.

I've been around since 2008 and, while hardly a prolific poster, I do keep an eye out for original material. I never saw those compositions before and would surely have commented on them if I had.

Litterick, I have been appreciative of Ragman's deceptively simple compositions for some time and have given enthusiastic feedback. Alas, human relationships can be complex.

Hi Marinero, there are two separate matters here. I was initially contrasting and questioning respective responses to a country post and a jazz post, not my jazz post. I don't, by the way, even consider myself to be a jazz musician, more a jazz thief

Speaking for myself, I do indeed seek constructive feedback of any kind, so would be that "rare case".

Lawson, by the way, when I saw your words "Post your original, brilliant, cutting edge performances" and "low-life Philistines" I thought it best not to reply. That's not me, I can tell you.

Lastly, I dig Johnny Hiland

User Info Menu

Vladan, I have no idea what motivates you to post that kind of comment. It's a bit sad and not exactly true, either.

I've been around since 2008 and, while hardly a prolific poster, I do keep an eye out for original material. I never saw those compositions before and would surely have commented on them if I had.

Litterick, I have been appreciative of Ragman's deceptively simple compositions for some time and have given enthusiastic feedback. Alas, human relationships can be complex.

Hi Marinero, there are two separate matters here. I was initially contrasting and questioning respective responses to a country post and a jazz post, not my jazz post. I don't, by the way, even consider myself to be a jazz musician, more a jazz thief

Speaking for myself, I do indeed seek constructive feedback of any kind, so would be that "rare case".

Lawson, by the way, when I saw your words "Post your original, brilliant, cutting edge performances" and "low-life Philistines" I thought it best not to reply. That's not me, I can tell you.

Lastly, I dig Johnny Hiland
    I was too sarcastic in that remark and I regret making it. Out of line on my part and I’m sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Some time ago, Reg generously shared 3 top-notch original jazz tracks, (post #260 in the below linked thread), which received a total of 3 likes and 1 reply (mine). I would really recommend checking them out by the way if they, ahem, flew under your radar at the time.
    Our Own Compositions. Post them here!

Conversely, and just by way of example, a recent post of some (competently played) home recorded country guitar garnered some 20 replies and numerous likes, in no time at all.

So, down to the nitty-gritty:

There are tomes here dedicated to gear and how to achieve the perfect jazz guitar sound and reams written on jazz theory, (as well as a ton of renditions of tired, even if golden, old standards), yet quality original jazz, fruit of good gear and command of harmony etc, for the most part falls on deaf ears. Why is that?

I'm directing this question at knowledgeable folk who have been around here for some time.
    Over time, I become familiar with some posters, generally because they're responding to the same threads I do.

I become aware of some of their views and I get curious about their playing.

When they post something I can hear, I may click, or I may be listening to something else in the room and I won't click.

Or, if somebody wants an opinion about a clip, I may try to help -- thinking that's something I wish I had more of over the years.

But, if a poster I don't know posts something without a specific request for help, I probably won't click on it. No disrespect, just doesn't fit into how I tend to participate in the forum.

I've listened to a number of Reg's youtube videos and I've had the pleasure of hearing him live and, once, sitting in. I tend to click on his stuff. He's the real thing.

User Info Menu

That was not the first time that Reg had posted those audio files, FYI.

User Info Menu

Litterick -

attractively bleak
    :-)

User Info Menu

Maybe I understood your post wrongly. Anyway, I quoted what I was responding to.

My motivation? I remember when I hoped to receive any kind of comment on my clips, good, or bad. I think I even wrote a post, or two about those expectations. Anyway, in the meantime I learned that comments will not come. So will not likes. I also got to understand that it is not a big deal, anyway and at all. So, my comment on your post coud be understood as a message to anybody having second thoughts about own value and importance, in the great scheme of posting precious bedroom guitar playing clips, to Jazz guitar forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Have to admit I am more interested in players who play interesting solos, it just seems to me that almost all of Reg’s videos are about comping/chords.
    His linear playing on changes is actually very weak. I do like his compositions though.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    His linear playing on changes is actually very weak. I do like his compositions though.

DB

I agree. But, I don't know how I would categorize his music, however, . . . I don't think it's Jazz according to my notion of the art form.
    Play live! . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 08-03-2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: deletion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog

DB
    Who Reg? His technique is superb, he got jazz chops like very few on this forum. So his tone is superb too. Timing and everything... I prefer 'weak linear playing on changes' if thats what its called.