The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Corn was playing swing solos, or like Louis Armstrong during the bebop era.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just got inspired to go put on some Eddie Condon.

In some circles, t'was "Mouldy" Corn......"Fig" style!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately for me, I find most Jazz post 1960 to be pretty corny.

I feel the recording technology and guitar technology had a negative effect on the aural esthetic I prefer. But that really just adds to not being inspired by how Jazz evolved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Sabbath and Zep and Beck aren't as good as James Gang with Joe Walsh.

Yes, you showed the red cape and I came charging. But peacefully, laughing all the way at your silly claim!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Check out the pre Zep Jeff Beck Group stuff with Rod Stewart. I think it's not corny and holds up better than LZ or Ozzy.
    Valid point, in my opinion. But the Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart was short lived. And not better than Led Zeppelin's first four albums, "corn" and all. Maybe theft would be a better word for the earlier ones than "corn." If it was corn (it wasn't), it was the best corn ever.

User Info Menu

Corn to me is when a tune is translated into timing and phrasing characteristic of Muzak - awkward, stilted, artificially formal, not flowing... made even worse if you know how it is supposed to sound. This translation may be an instance in the head of the performer (on purpose for brief effect), or systemic from the tune having been formally transcribed and "crow bar'd" into standard notation so suppressing the "swing" out of it by the transcriber holding a threshold on the resolution of rhythm symbology in order to limit the complexity of dots, ties, and tails in the score.

Amazingly, classical musicians playing classical music raise life from the paper, partly because their fundamental sense of rhythm is quite different.

User Info Menu

This is corn:

User Info Menu

This is a corny tune too...

User Info Menu

Parker with Strings... I can get why people would see it as being corny, but that's easily one of my favourite albums of all time... It mightn't be what Parker had in mind when recording with a string section, but it's magical nonetheless.

I never knew Mitch Miller was the oboe player on those sessions... hard to imagine putting the two in the same sentence let alone recording in the same room! Next we find out Mrs Mills was on piano hahaha!

It's Parker at his most polished, that's not necessarily a bad thing. The recording quality of those sessions was good enough to actually get a sense of his tone. A lot of those early bebop records aren't exactly Hi-Fi.

Mind you... I don't mind corn - I love listening to Glenn Miller - in fact his reed section harmonies are a big influence on the way I like to arrange my chord melody pieces on guitar. There's a place for everything, but I can never get enough of Parker with Strings :-).