The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

The Dallas International Guitar Show has had its date moved twice and now will be September 25 - 27, 2020. In Texas, new Corona cases have hit 10,000 per day statewide. These events can be a lot of fun and one can perhaps learn something new or acquire a new prospective that can make them a better player. There a plenty of guitar and guitar-related products, and many performances.

My question is, with COVID-19 apparently running rampant, would you attend?
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 07-19-2020 at 06:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes

User Info Menu

Nope, public gatherings are why this isn't going away.

User Info Menu

The concern is being indoors with lots of others. I would avoid it but that's just me. If you do go I would recommend wearing an N95 mask - but be warned they're expensive. And I would NOT go into the bathroom at all. And wear gloves.

Lol. Doesn't sound like much, fun does it? It would be better to hold it outside in early November or something. Some things can wait.

IMO
    Last edited by GTRMan; 07-20-2020 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Honestly, it's difficult for me to understand how this can even be a question.

What GTRMan said about bathrooms, I assume, has to do with the virus being aerosolized by flushing.

User Info Menu

A definite no

User Info Menu

moot issue..it's not gonna happen anyway

cheers

User Info Menu

Not a snowball's chance in hell. And yes, Abbott will be forced to cancel everything well before then. Babies are dying from the virus down here, close to 100 have been diagnosed in one county, It's not just us old farts who are dying, month-old babies are also, as well as young adults. We're out of hospital beds and morgue space, they're packing bodied into reefers.

User Info Menu

That would be a big steaming pile of nope for me.

User Info Menu

I was so looking forward to it this year. But, with the infection rate soaring I am going to have to pass as well.

If they do hold it, I don't think the energy level would be the same anyway since many would be passing on it.

What a year!

User Info Menu

Absolutely Not. The Philly Guitar show was cancelled in July and it was the right decision. Had they not cancelled it, I wouldn't have attended.

User Info Menu

Nope, absolutely not. In fact, I'm not planning any trip into the USA given what covid is doing to you folks.

User Info Menu

No.

User Info Menu

We had this under control in belgium, or we thought so anyway.
    Bars and shops opened again, people acted like everything was normal again and 1 month later it looks like we're at the start of second wave, which is predicted to be alot worse then the first one..
    The US is not even on the peak of the first wave.

User Info Menu

If you believe the numbers, at around 5:41 central time here in the USA, 3,956,988 cases have been found with 143,600 deaths. That puts us at around a 3.6% for the number of people who have died with Corona.

I personally know several people who survived, but have notice some long term effects that have not gone away yet. One fellow, who works delivering and picking up home medical equipment, says he was asymptomatic, but since returning to work after quarantine, now notices his chest getting tight as he hustles to carry the beds and other equipment to his truck.

He told me his buddy runs the COVID unit in Chicago, and they seem to be finding that people who have had the disease show signs of lung abnormalities. I am going to have to follow up on this assertion to see if others have reported the same.

User Info Menu

I found one article.
    NCH doctor not sold on study saying asymptomatic COVID-19 patients have abnormal lung findings

I guess like everything else, we will just have to read around and decide for ourselves whom we believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    If you believe the numbers, at around 5:41 central time here in the USA, 3,956,988 cases have been found with 143,600 deaths. That puts us at around a 3.6% for the number of people who have died with Corona.

I personally know several people who survived, but have notice some long term effects that have not gone away yet. One fellow, who works delivering and picking up home medical equipment, says he was asymptomatic, but since returning to work after quarantine, now notices his chest getting tight as he hustles to carry the beds and other equipment to his truck.

He told me his buddy runs the COVID unit in Chicago, and they seem to be finding that people who have had the disease show signs of lung abnormalities. I am going to have to follow up on this assertion to see if others have reported the same.
    It's not so much a matter of believing the numbers, it's just that the confirmed cases are not equal to the actual cases because of testing levels. The question is, are the actual cases double, triple, or 5-10 times as high as the confirmed? A few months back there was a study in California that estimated 40 times as high. We have more testing now. Doubling the number of confirmed cases to estimate the actual number seems conservative.

In other words, the actual death rate isn't as high as calculated. That's encouraging. Toss out rest homes and that helps too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    It's not so much a matter of believing the numbers, it's just that the confirmed cases are not equal to the actual cases because of testing levels. The question is, are the actual cases double, triple, or 5-10 times as high as the confirmed? A few months back there was a study in California that estimated 40 times as high. We have more testing now. Doubling the number of confirmed cases to estimate the actual number seems conservative.

In other words, the actual death rate isn't as high as calculated. That's encouraging. Toss out rest homes and that helps too.
    Very, very interesting points you make on the testing numbers. That would make the death rate not seem quite so high. That can give us hope. The negative side of this thought is that means we don't truly know just how contagious this thing is, so those that are vulnerable would need to be doubly careful, although they might have a better chance than thought of surviving.

That brings to mind a quote from Dirty Harry, " Do you feel lucky....?"

User Info Menu

I haven't attended yet (I moved back home to Tejas eight years ago), though I've wanted to. I definitely will not go this year, no matter what, due to C-19.

What worries me is the growing evidence of longer-term effects on the pulmonary system even in the asymptomatic. I'm not well-read on the subject and unequipped for an in-depth discussion as a result, but it seems to me that there are enough unknowns that discretion is the better part of valor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I haven't attended yet (I moved back home to Tejas eight years ago), though I've wanted to. I definitely will not go this year, no matter what, due to C-19.

What worries me is the growing evidence of longer-term effects on the pulmonary system even in the asymptomatic. I'm not well-read on the subject and unequipped for an in-depth discussion as a result, but it seems to me that there are enough unknowns that discretion is the better part of valor.
    Fully agree. I've been a hermit since March 17 or so.

On those few occasions when I run an errand for booze (whoops) I bring a mask (just in case) and they put it in my trunk, all touch free. I don't even roll down the window. Then I let the box sit in the hallway for a week, wash my hands and even scrub the bottles with soap and water. Wifey does the grocery runs. I work 100% from the house.

User Info Menu

Hard pass.

Dallas Guitar Show - Would you go with the pandemic around?  (Sept 25-27)-untitled-png

User Info Menu

I pick up groceries much like GTRman does, so no contact, no parties, no guitar shows. Wife and I are both high risk and not young. Fortunately we get along and she doesn't mind hearing my increased practice schedule.

User Info Menu

Fully agree. I've been a hermit since March 17 or so.

On those few occasions when I run an errand for booze (whoops) I bring a mask (just in case) and they put it in my trunk, all touch free. I don't even roll down the window. Then I let the box sit in the hallway for a week, wash my hands and even scrub the bottles with soap and water. Wifey does the grocery runs. I work 100% from the house.
    I manage a gas station, and see between two and three hundred folks a day. I'm grateful I've been kept employed and not having to worry about an uncertain future. I wish there were more of a teamwork outlook. I see too many who regard a mask as simply too big an ask. It's not.

Hoping you and yours stay safe and well. We can get through this if we work together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    If you believe the numbers...

Brings to mind my favorite quote of Neil deGrasse Tyson:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky

Brings to mind my favorite quote of Neil deGrasse Tyson:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    True science? No one is saying the confirmed cases are the only cases. Everybody knows there are more.