The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

I don't think they would refer to this

Fm7 Bb7 Cmaj7

as a ii-V, but perhaps I'm wrong? Classical musicians get confused when you talk about dominant sevenths that aren't functioning as such, so ...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I don't think they would refer to this

Fm7 Bb7 Cmaj7

as a ii-V, but perhaps I'm wrong? Classical musicians get confused when you talk about dominant sevenths that aren't functioning as such, so ...
    Like I said, it was 40+ years ago, and I don't really recall what it would be referred to in classical terms, or if it was referred to at all. That's what is called a "backdoor cadence", correct? I've only heard it discussed in jazz writing/arranging. I'm trying to recall any use in classical music, but I'm having trouble recalling all the various cadence names and functions, let alone any harmonic analysis I had to do. I'd be curious to hear from a theorist about this, but I'm not interested enough to spend much time researching it. I was just recalling that a ii V was described as such as early as the 1750s or so, not suggesting that I was a theory expert. I was just happy to get through the classes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Like I said, it was 40+ years ago, and I don't really recall what it would be referred to in classical terms, or if it was referred to at all. That's what is called a "backdoor cadence", correct? I've only heard it discussed in jazz writing/arranging. I'm trying to recall any use in classical music, but I'm having trouble recalling all the various cadence names and functions, let alone any harmonic analysis I had to do. I'd be curious to hear from a theorist about this, but I'm not interested enough to spend much time researching it. I was just recalling that a ii V was described as such as early as the 1750s or so, not suggesting that I was a theory expert. I was just happy to get through the classes!
    I think they'd call Bb7 CMaj7 a minor plagal cadence, which is usually iv I, but in C, the key notes of the iv chord are F and Ab, so other chords with those notes function as the minor subdominant chord: Bb7, AbMaj7 or DbMaj7 instead of Fm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I think they'd call Bb7 CMaj7 a minor plagal cadence, which is usually iv I, but in C, the key notes of the iv chord are F and Ab, so other chords with those notes function as the minor subdominant chord: Bb7, AbMaj7 or DbMaj7 instead of Fm.
    Thanks, BigDaddy. You are reminding me why I enjoyed my performance classes more than theory or history!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Thanks, BigDaddy. You are reminding me why I enjoyed my performance classes more than theory or history!