The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Folks, some of these Youtube instructors are so, so helpful IMHO that I feel a debt of gratitude. So if they have Patreon, or some other way to make a monetary donation, I feel obligated to give them at least a little something for their efforts. There are, of course other types of Youtube "Content," as they call it. Anything from "manly advice" for bachelors or step-by-step instruction on how to remove a radio from your 2000 Ford F-150.

I spend hours listening and viewing these videos, almost to the point that they are replacing television. I used to think the old school way and say to myself, quit begging and get a "real job." But, now I have come into the new era and I can really appreciate the value in these often painstakingly made videos that show the creator truly cares about quality and not wasting your time - whether it be for entertainment, instruction, or some other reason.

Do you find yourself contributing to these individuals?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There should be a simple "send money" button. And simple credit system. But this wont happen probably.
    I bet sending money over like this would open another pandora's box for YT and it seems most jobs there are already dealing with current ones.
    I'm not expert of course.

But yeah, tipping for good valuable info for reasonable effort would be nice. Heck, we tip waitresses for just smiling to us nicely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    There should be a simple "send money" button. And simple credit system. But this wont happen probably.
    I bet sending money over like this would open another pandora's box for YT and it seems most jobs there are already dealing with current ones.
    I'm not expert of course.

But yeah, tipping for good valuable info for reasonable effort would be nice. Heck, we tip waitresses for just smiling to us nicely.
    Some of these creators are making a living off the revenue made from Youtube, with some becoming millionaires. You can join their group and pay monthly dues for access to other sites they may have, or they may parlay the exposure into more money-making opportunities.

It is a brave new world, indeed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Some of these creators are making a living off the revenue made from Youtube, with some becoming millionaires. You can join their group and pay monthly dues for access to other sites they may have, or they may parlay the exposure into more money-making opportunities.

It is a brave new world, indeed!
    I wouldn't mind checking out some of these. Why ones would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I have found Jens Larsen to be quite helpful; he ties his YouTube lessons to his website for PDFs. He's not for true beginners, more like experienced beginners, early intermediate players. But his stuff is achievable with some thought. OTOH, his stuff like shell voicings can be learned by anyone. He has a Patreon page which he says allows him to make so many free lessons on YouTube and his website. You can also donate via PayPal in any amount, and he has some very reasonably priced and well written individual lessons on his site that include video (around 8€ on average). Another bonus is he provides both PDF and Guitar Pro charts.

Matt Warnock is on Facebook and his website and you can join his sites for free and he has plenty of great content. I think he is really good at taking concepts apart and putting together videos of the chunks that make the concept work. You can also join his advanced site which gives you access to all his content, webcasts, bonus material, etc. I find his materials quite interesting and his advanced site worth the monthly cost.

Frank Vignola's Jazz Studio used to be $5 a month, now it's $10, I think. It's still a hell of a deal at $10. I use his lessons a lot, and I was fortunate to get in at $5 a month. Incredible bargain!

Greg O'Roarke has a lot of free content on his site. I find his teaching style a bit difficult, but he has good content. I recently did a 30 day challenge course with him, it was $30. To be honest, I didn't find it very easy to navigate. I was expecting something more like Matt Warnock's courses. But a lot of people seemed to have no problem, so I guess it's just our styles don't mesh.

Frank, Matt and Jens are my go-to teachers when I'm ready to attempt something new or go more deeply into something I'm working on. I do check out Greg, but as I said, I have a hard time with his teaching style, but you may be just fine with it.

Anyway, just my experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    For Jazz (is anything else important ) there here are a couple of channels: Jens Larson is actually a member on this forum and is obviously a Jazz Guitar Instructor. These are the types of contents that make me feel indebted.

Jens Larson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFdbLP8XqF4

Rick Beato

Richie Zellon ( I am not sure if he asks for donations, but he does sell an online course and books)

Marc Andre Seguin

Mortin Faerestrand

Just to name a few.

There are plenty more for rock/pop/ and general music. (Troy Grady, Ben Eller,

I remember good ol' Joel Fass complaining when he first got here how everyone expects to get this music, entertainment, and instruction for free. I then noticed that some are selling courses or have a patreon account that you can support. I had to drop a few coins here and there for instruction that helped push me along my way.

Hope this helps, Prince.

User Info Menu

Do you find yourself contributing to these individuals?
    I am very grateful to the artist who make their music and tuition available online. I support the ones I follow via subscriptions at Patreon and Truefire and tips for the Facebook live performances I watch.

I'd be delighted to know that the economy of scale is making some jazz guitarist rich. I kind of doubt it though. In any event it's a tremendous value for the student!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    I am very grateful to the artist who make their music and tuition available online. I support the ones I follow via subscriptions at Patreon and Truefire and tips for the Facebook live performances I watch.

I'd be delighted to know that the economy of scale is making some jazz guitarist rich. I kind of doubt it though. In any event it's a tremendous value for the student!
    You are so right about getting rich of Jazz guitar Youtube content - that is probably a tall order - depending on what your definition of rich is . But, to be serious for a moment, I was referring to the many young people who are literally getting rich (millionaires) off their Youtube blogs and other merchandise.

I am glad you share my sentiment. If one is able to give a little monetary appreciation to these content providers, one probably should. I sometimes wish I could give to some forum members for their great videos, advice and other inputs. Some of the advice is sage, and some of the videos are better than I can get live around here on a given day - all on demand!

User Info Menu

I am a monthly member of 2 of the teachers I mentioned, and I purchase lessons from the other 2. I also do PayPal donations to YouTube teachers whose content I have used and learned from. What I really like about this model is the "Try before you buy" aspect. Even though everyone I've purchased lessons from has a "money back guarantee", I have never exercised it, even if the lesson didn't work out for me. These people put a lot of time into their videos (the editing most be a time-consuming pain!) and I figure I can afford to not understand a lesson once in awhile. For the most part, they are all very quick to respond to questions.

User Info Menu

For Jazz (is anything else important ) there here are a couple of channels: Jens Larson is actually a member on this forum and is obviously a Jazz Guitar Instructor. These are the types of contents that make me feel indebted.

Jens Larson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFdbLP8XqF4

Rick Beato

Richie Zellon ( I am not sure if he asks for donations, but he does sell an online course and books)

Marc Andre Seguin

Mortin Faerestrand

Just to name a few.

There are plenty more for rock/pop/ and general music. (Troy Grady, Ben Eller,

I remember good ol' Joel Fass complaining when he first got here how everyone expects to get this music, entertainment, and instruction for free. I then noticed that some are selling courses or have a patreon account that you can support. I had to drop a few coins here and there for instruction that helped push me along my way.

Hope this helps, Prince.
    Cheers for these alsoran, and thanks to ah clem as well. I've been familiar with most of those. I'm a fan of Marc Andre's and Jens' sites, but not heard of Greg O'Rourke, so will check him out. I like how there's always something to learn from these guys, and how they have enough content for you to pick and choose from a large menu I also trawl through a lot of piano and sax sites, sometimes I find them even more useful, for what I'm into...