The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I am having trouble understanding why anyone would pay 6 million dollars for a butchered Martin because it was once played by a drug addict who killed himself.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe because they have a spare billion they don't know what to do with.

User Info Menu

Ridiculous isn't it? There was a rather large article even in our local newspaper...

Also it mentioned that Cobain originally paid $ 5.000 for it and I think that even that was way too much for a butchered acoustic.

User Info Menu

It's actually not butchered. Stock, factory model. I love it:

User Info Menu

There are a lot of people with more money than sense these days. And they drive up the cost of everything, for everyone.

User Info Menu

They beat me to it.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's not butchered. A little grungy perhaps.

User Info Menu

If I had the $6M, that is not what I would do with it. I would probably buy a nice all-acoustic archtop - maybe using about 0.05% of the money. I figure $3000 should get me a pretty nice archtop. Then I’d give each of my kids a million. Another million spread out to several charities. Then retire.

User Info Menu

Especially when you could rebuild a crash survivor for that much and end up with a super human.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    If I had the $6M, that is not what I would do with it. I would probably buy a nice all-acoustic archtop - maybe using about 0.05% of the money. I figure $3000 should get me a pretty nice archtop. Then I’d give each of my kids a million. Another million spread out to several charities. Then retire.
    You underestimate how rich the rich truly are. Undoubtedly that person has already done all that several times over. And bought houses in every vacation spot they’ve been to. And bought every car/plane/boat they’ve ever wanted. And eaten at every restaurant, been to every sporting event, had front row seats at any special event. And bought a politician or two, had a law changed to suit them, had a crime ignored or forgiven.

After all that, they still had millions pouring into their accounts with no effort on their behalf.

$6Million to have a guitar his buddies don’t? Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Because they probably think it will be worth 7 million dollars in time. Just another way to diversify investments.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It creates free advertising for Rode Mics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It creates free advertising for Rode Mics.
    interesting wording there

User Info Menu

That's a lot of money for Black Magic! Good playing . . Marinero

User Info Menu

If you can't afford 6 million dollars for Curt Cobain's guitar, you may wanna look at the more budget options like the guitars of Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix or Prince. You can snatch those up for like a fraction of that Martin.

User Info Menu

I think items like this are what the Church calls ' secondary relics ' .

I could write a boring little faux-anthropological essay here about modern secular cults , martyrdom and the persistence of certain human habits of mind , but maybe it's too obvious .

User Info Menu

It's also the least unplugged Martin ever made.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    I am having trouble understanding why anyone would pay 6 million dollars for a butchered Martin because it was once played by a drug addict who killed himself.
    Yes, I guess you are having trouble understanding?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft

I could write a boring little faux-anthropological essay here about modern secular cults , martyrdom and the persistence of certain human habits of mind , but maybe it's too obvious .
    I believe you are on to something here. As the wheel turns and we devolve once again into clans totems such as this will become increasingly important. I don’t think it would be boring at all.

User Info Menu

The guy said he'll eventually sell it, so wait and see at what price the next sale will be!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft

I'd read that! I know the guy who bought Jimmy Raney's Hofner/Zoller that he used and recorded with in the decade before he died. It wasn't expensive but he does treat it with respect because of the Raney connection.