The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Willie did write it but long ago sold the rights to for $150 to a guy who owned a music store in Texas. Willie used to teach there. That $150 investment by the store owner has provided a vast return. Willie said of the deal later, "At the time I really needed the money." He wasn't bitter about it. He might feel different if it was the only great song he ever wrote...
    The story I heard is that he wrote it in a car while driving across town to a gig in Houston. I think Paul Buskirk was the person he sold it to. He demoed it for him when he got to the club and wanted something like $50 for it but the guy said ''that's a good song I'll give you $150". Willie played or had played bass in Ray Price's band at some point and I believe had some sort of deal with Price's publishing company Pamper when he got to Nashville. So what goes around comes around I guess. And, yeah, musically speaking anyway, Ray Price does own that song which has some great steel playing by Buddy Emmons.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    The 80's were bittersweet times. Lots of people dancing or headbanging, and following MTV's lead. They did this often to forget their misery.

But, isn't that was music is about for many - a device used for healing or to help cope with every day sadnesses?

Blues, Shoegaze, Britpop, New Wave, Speed Metal, and most of the other genres all seemed to be explicitly expressing anger, disappointment, fear of not being able to earn a living, not finding love, etc.. Others, such as some of the examples above, were veiled in sarcasm.

So many people just lost themselves in the genres of their choice and escaped, even if only temporarily.
    I sure did but I listened to everything. The 80's was just about money to me.

Here's me getting married then divorced in Osaka in the 80's;

Marriage was a blast...for 3 months.

User Info Menu

^^^ you get to keep your wardrobe?

Quote Originally Posted by TLR
    ^^^ you get to keep your wardrobe?
    Yes, but the red parachute pants, pimp shoes and ruffely shirts are gone.
    I guess you had to be there.

It's all about the shoes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    It's all about the shoes.
    Indeed. And don't ever let anyone tell you any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Indeed

There was something going on in the first half of the 80s .. It might not check any musicians boxes .. It's a few chords over a drum machine, but ... So much had this sadness about it and yet made it into the mainstream

But I'm afraid I might be turning this into a repeat of the Doctor Jeff 80s thread

(Btw that is 1983 .. A year later in 1984 Laura Branigan took some of the sadness out of it and had a hit with her cover)

I like the original more. Love the song but I don't think anyone has done it right.

User Info Menu

I once seriously considered buying some parachute pants. For about 30 seconds. Then I came back to reality. I have owned several pairs of shoes.

User Info Menu

I always liked that song. I don't know if I'd heard the original.
    It's depressing as fuck just like the 80's were supposed to be.
    Especially sad if you know what happened to Laura Brannigan...

My girlfriends used to drag me to, uh, drag clubs in Atlanta in the ‘80’s. Laura Brannigan OWNED the dance floor. I can’t hear the song Gloria without thinking of those girls. Who, ironically enough, are married to other girls now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Especially sad if you know what happened to Laura Brannigan...

My girlfriends used to drag me to, uh, drag clubs in Atlanta in the ‘80’s. Laura Brannigan OWNED the dance floor. I can’t hear the song Gloria without thinking of those girls. Who, ironically enough, are married to other girls now.
    I got dragged to clubs a lot of times. Just what I wanted to do after playing 9 hours. One gf wanted to expose to the world that I can't actually dance without a guitar. Watch out for unemployed women in a khaki trench coat.
    I hate Miami Sound Machine.

I'm musing on what post-pandemic music is going to be like. Music will never be the same.

User Info Menu

Music will never be the same.
    I'm not sure about that but it's a good point.

User Info Menu

Nothing really matters, anyone can see.

User Info Menu

I'm musing on what post-pandemic music is going to be like. Music will never be the same.
    Probably be like this outside Vegas...Cirque de la Mort...