The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've heard worse... (and that would be Lay Down Sally).

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I've heard worse... (and that would be Lay Down Sally).
    I like the social commentary fitting of the times. Plus, it's rock with a drum machine.

User Info Menu

JJ Cale as a girl :-)

Otherwise no and no.

tap tap tap tap ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yes ... and no

That's truly stupid 80's music.
    I suspect we might go back to a time when a lot of musicians considered the consequences of technology. It would be a first.

User Info Menu

I like Lobomov's answer - Yes and No, ha, ha!

I guess not all songs have to be history-making, life-changing, complex pieces of art. Some can be fun, and entertaining, especially when you might be a little inebriated the first time you hear it.

It is still music, IMHO, and takes a certain amount of skill to produce (even if some of the skill is manipulating electronics).

User Info Menu

I've never liked the electronic sound, I prefer the live foot-tappin' version of the first one. It was fun, unlike the second.

The lyrics (of the first one) are sort of girly though, like Bananarama or something, and the rhythm's distinctly JJ Cale (I'm justifying myself!) and the guy sings a bit like Lou Reed... catatonic but still interested

Timbuk3 has character. To me, the rest is just bubblegum, probably contrived to make money. Sorry about that :-)

User Info Menu

Ziggy who?

I never did pop or classical, I was a niche person, folk, blues, jazz, that sort of thing.

Well, I did do classical for a bit...

Indeed

There was something going on in the first half of the 80s .. It might not check any musicians boxes .. It's a few chords over a drum machine, but ... So much had this sadness about it and yet made it into the mainstream

But I'm afraid I might be turning this into a repeat of the Doctor Jeff 80s thread

(Btw that is 1983 .. A year later in 1984 Laura Branigan took some of the sadness out of it and had a hit with her cover)

I always liked that song. I don't know if I'd heard the original.
    It's depressing as fuck just like the 80's were supposed to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Oh the night is my world
    City life, painted girls
    In the day nothing matters
    It's the nighttime that flatters
    In the night no control
    Through the wall something breakin'
    Wearin' white as you're walkin'

It's like Night Life by Willie Nelson. Contrived or not it seems real.
    Proper 80's music has to be depressing. Bad romance. Isolation. Fear of technology. Night life. Doom and gloom. Give up all hope.
    You're going to die alone then leave this world.
    Oh, I would never say Willie was contrived. 'Night Life' isn't, and it's not depressing either, it's quite heartfelt. If a bit dated now.

I got invited somewhere once and this guy had non-stop Joy Division on the player. Now, that was depressing.

User Info Menu

all hope was removed in the 23 years from 1960 to 1983
    Can't say I noticed. If anything, it's worse now, I'd say. Not that I'm affected, I don't depend on what culture does; it's up to oneself. We live so shallowly, just blown by very superficial winds.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh, I would never say Willie was contrived. 'Night Life' isn't, and it's not depressing either, it's quite heartfelt. If a bit dated now.

I got invited somewhere once and this guy had non-stop Joy Division on the player. Now, that was depressing.
    Long Will Tear Us Apart started the 80's off with a bang. It was supposed to be a parody of Love Will Keep Us Together but took on a different meaning with Ian Curtis's problems and suicide.
    I like lyrics that are about something. The 80's is underrated in that regard.
    So what if the music sucked if you had a gig? You could play what you wanted to.
    We know all this stuff long after the fact. I never watched music videos back then. They might have completed a story. I only saw a couple.
    I liked Sweet Dreams. It seemed like a blues and reminded me of the ocean. I think I was watching that in a bar and though, I'll give music a try.

Everything gets dated .. Cest la vie .. A good catch by Steveboi tho, very similar stories ... just that all hope was removed in the 23 years from 1960 to 1983
    Ray Price owns that song. The night life isn't a good life. Didn't pan out for me in the long run.
    Maybe the song is dated.

User Info Menu

Definitely dated.

but night life hasn't :-)

User Info Menu

Rockabilly. Only things missing: Budweiser, cowboy boots, and sawdust on the dance floor. No problem for me! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I like that song. Bought the album (probably a cassette at the time). My younger brother remains a big Timbuk 3 fan. (I don't dislike them now but I haven't listened to them in a long time, though this song ran through my head the other day when my wife asked me how a song I'm working on is coming along and I said, "The future's so bright...")

The studio version is better, though.

A couple more songs from the same album.

User Info Menu

Ray Price owns that song.
    Yes, but Willie wrote it, so he has some ownership too. You won't see many Willie concerts that don't have it.

User Info Menu

No and no. Had it in the lineup the week it hit MTV. Filled the dance floor every time. For years. Ka-ching!

Some would dismiss it as a "novelty" song. I hear it as incisive social commentary. Of course, "duck and cover" remains burned into my psyche.

User Info Menu

It's like some kind of lightweight bubblegum folk song, recorded with the values of the time. My only concern is was it really 34 years ago?

It's an 80's 'duck and cover' song.

I think BIRD IS THE WORD with original video PLEASE is HARD TO TOP for GOOFY NESS!!!!!!!

That is .. If the nuclear holocaust doesn't get you before that

How's this for 80's;

User Info Menu

The 80's were bittersweet times. Lots of people dancing or headbanging, and following MTV's lead. They did this often to forget their misery.

But, isn't that was music is about for many - a device used for healing or to help cope with every day sadnesses?

Blues, Shoegaze, Britpop, New Wave, Speed Metal, and most of the other genres all seemed to be explicitly expressing anger, disappointment, fear of not being able to earn a living, not finding love, etc.. Others, such as some of the examples above, were veiled in sarcasm.

So many people just lost themselves in the genres of their choice and escaped, even if only temporarily.

User Info Menu

Ray Price owns that song. The night life isn't a good life. Didn't pan out for me in the long run.
    Maybe the song is dated.
    Ray Price did do a great job with that one. BB King had his own way with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Yes, but Willie wrote it, so he has some ownership too. You won't see many Willie concerts that don't have it.
    Willie did write it but long ago sold the rights to for $150 to a guy who owned a music store in Texas. Willie used to teach there. That $150 investment by the store owner has provided a vast return. Willie said of the deal later, "At the time I really needed the money." He wasn't bitter about it. He might feel different if it was the only great song he ever wrote...