The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Thanks, sgcim. It can be tough, even without the chest problems. Being an asthmatic, I think I dodged a bullet there.
    Hope you’re back to normal soon Rob. It’s funny, my son gets asthma and he had virtually the same set of symptoms that you describe, fortunately no respiratory problems or cough. He is very fit though, does a lot of cycling. He soon recovered.

We locked him in his bedroom for a week and we didn’t seem to catch it. But having said that, both my wife and I had a tummy ache and loss of taste for a few days, but nothing else. We still don’t know if we had it or not.

It certainly is a very strange beast.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm glad your son recovered so quick. Researchers at Kings College say that 1 in 20 people take a long time to recover, could be many months. Sigh.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob. Music (especially Bach) is a great consolation for the soul, you make that ukulele sing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    Finding myself playing for hours every day with great players from all over the world in Jamkazam.
    Today we had Sax from Canada, Keys from mid west USA, trumpet from CA, Bass from NY and others from god knows where (I am in Australia). All top rate Jazz musicians playing the hell out of the real book. Full duplex audio and video if you want it. I simply set up a session for jazz and leave it open for all to join.
    5 mins later we have 2-7 players having a blast.
    what is the latency like?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marvinvv
    what is the latency like?
    Varies a bit depending on the users sound system and internet connection.

Within Australia 20-30 ms
    Australia to USA 100-130 ms
    Australia to Europe 150-200 ms

I find with a small group 100-150 is manageable. If there are no Drums its easier.

User Info Menu

The complete opposite situation for me - I would love to play guitar but have no time to play guitar. Or indeed any time at all to do anything fun. If you have a full-time job and a school-age child life is pretty intolerable right now. My life is just a treadmill of work; childcare; feed child; put child to bed; tidy up; more work; then sleep for around 5 or 6 hours.

I can squeeze in the occasional post on this forum while working: brief conversation about music or politics is the sort of little distraction that keeps me sane. But my life is non-strop stress right now, no fun, and will continue to be until either schools re-open or childcare options are allowed.
    Last edited by Matt Milton; 06-20-2020 at 03:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I hate to say, it's been great for me. I haven't worked since February, I was in Europe in early March and pretty much all the ER nursing work dried up pretty quickly after I got back (there was a bit of super risky work in NYC that I wasn't up for, and nothing pretty much elsewhere). So I hunkered down and practiced. I was thinking there was going to be work in May, but literally there were 3 open slots on the whole east coast. So I just kept at it

I log my time, so I'm around 400 hours since early March. About 30 hours a week. I had intended to really focus on Gypsy Jazz after coming back from France but with no jams to go to for anytime soon, I focused more on solo playing. Some African music, some chord melody stuff, some Bach.

I still can't play for shit but I definitely made a lot of improvement over the last couple months. Starting to hear from recruiters that work is popping up and I confess I have zero desire to go back to work, I'm really excited to be working on stuff I love. I think by the time the fall rolls around it's going to be crazy with flu season + COVID so I think I will definitely have the opportunity to work and I'll be broke too.

I always log my time in 15 minute increments. I used a cube timer and mark down what I'm practicing in a day planner with an abbreviation. I've been doing it that way for a while. It definitely works for me. I just need to sit in the chair and pick up the guitar and it usually starts rolling. It took a lot of practice to learn how to practice. I try to start with Bach if I can get myself to do it. Casals said to do that, it definitely gets your brain moving.Are you having trouble being motivated to play during this crisis?-img_20200620_223217-jpg

User Info Menu

I've been having no trouble being motivated. I KNOW I have made progress because I record myself playing standards every so often. Being conscious that I am improving while still being inspired by other musicians on youtube and whatnot is really a privilege. I've had to slow down actually because I've had some slight finger inflammation but its nothing some ice won't fix.