The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I am. And bothered by that. Even with some new gear, just wondering if I'm the only one. No work coming up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Im 66 years old with some standard health issues and NOBODY IS PROMISED TOMMOROW!!! I treat each day as if MAYBE its my LAST. And I really PLAY!!!

User Info Menu

Very much.

User Info Menu

Been discussed here before, but yeah, especially having 2 weekly steadies the last 8 yrs in addition to the private jobs, festivals, etc and enjoying coming up w new tunes/arrangements weekly for said gigs to keep me busy.
    But lately been slowly trying to practice more and starting to make some progress back to a sense of normalcy.
    Meanwhile I've been spending time catching up on some classic movies I either missed before or haven't seen in ages, so I'm still involved in the arts that way, even though as a spectator.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Very much.
    Ditto.

User Info Menu

I suppose by "play during this crisis" you mean "practice at home"?

Pre-crisis I practiced very little because of the jazz trio performances every couple of days; I learn almost everything during performance and with the trio it's pretty much nonstop jazz guitar for four hours..., so "practice" was little more than checking which amp I would use and tuning before packing up, just a few minutes of playing.

The last few months I have been practicing a lot more, a few hours per day, picking up new tunes and developing ideas for old ones, and exploring, discovering, and enjoying music in general. Which was good because I was asked to sit in the other night up in town (six pc horn and piano band) and as a result will be doing that ongoing now. Still waiting for the trio to come out of hiatus.

User Info Menu

Just the opposite for me. There is so much online at this time that I find i can't keep up. Some inspiring players are creating content from home, accessible via Patreon, YouTube and Facebook and then there's the new material at Truefire and Mike's Masterclass.

I'm a music hobbyists with a full time career in technology. So, to be fair, I don't feel the sting of canceled gigs. But I empathize with those who do and express that empathy with subscriptions and virtual tips.

User Info Menu

I have learned modes of limited transposition.

User Info Menu

A good motivator to keep your chops up is something like this. If you can play the heads of most of these tunes, and burn on something like Cherokee at 340bpm, that should keep you busy. It's played very strictly, so there's no room for jiving:
    Backing Tracks

User Info Menu

No, I'm not having any problem with motivation, I never do. Despite being laid back about most things when it's time to practice or go to the gym or do some kind of work I don't hesitate. I just start. Then again, there are always variables involved and in this case maybe my playing routine is undemanding compared to that of other players.

User Info Menu

I'm having a terrible time getting motivated, but I am recovering from getting Covid-19 myself. I didn't get the respiratory problems, thankfully, but I lost the senses of taste and smell, suffered nausea, dizziness, and complete exhaustion. The nausea and dizziness have gone, but the rest is still there, and it has been six weeks and counting.

I stay awake for two, sometimes three hours, but the rest of the time I'm sleeping. When I do play, I can only manage the ukulele, but Bach is my solace, so, during a waking period I recorded this:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It depends on the weather (!). If it’s nice, I can’t wait to get out of the house and go for a walk in the countryside somewhere. Or I’ll just sit in the garden all day reading or listening to music.

But if the weather is dull/rainy, then I do spend more time on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Then, Graham, if you want to improve your guitar playing, move to the west coast of Scotland!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Then, Graham, if you want to improve your guitar playing, move to the west coast of Scotland!
    Haha. One of my relatives used to own a croft near Fort William (Ballachulish), we stayed there once when I was young. There was quite a lot of rain during the holiday as I recall! The other thing I remember was going fishing at the side of the loch and bringing out huge numbers of mackerel. None of us were experienced fishermen, the mackerel were virtually jumping out of the water at us. By the end of the fortnight we had exhausted every recipe involving mackerel you could think of, and never wanted to see another one!

Actually I have a guitar memory from that holiday. My relatives took us to see a distant cousin or somebody who lived in Strontian, they knew I was learning classical guitar at school, so they played me this old Segovia record they had, I think it was the Recuerdos. I can just about remember hearing that scratchy but magical old record while looking out at the loch, it did make quite an impression on me.

User Info Menu

Finding myself playing for hours every day with great players from all over the world in Jamkazam.

Today we had Sax from Canada, Keys from mid west USA, trumpet from CA, Bass from NY and others from god knows where (I am in Australia). All top rate Jazz musicians playing the hell out of the real book.

Its amazing fun in these strange times and I would recommend it to anyone.

Full duplex audio and video if you want it.

I simply set up a session for jazz and leave it open for all to join.
    5 mins later we have 2-7 players having a blast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I spent some time in Skye. It was ALWAYS inspiring. One night I woke up to the sound of bagpipes on the water. The last ferry was crossing the water, and on there was a group that was returning from a bagpipe festival/competition. The still water was made for music.
    A friend of mine once went to a distillery tour on Islay as a sort of birthday treat (he loves whisky as well as taking jazz photos). What he didn’t realise was that there was a mini jazz festival going on there as well, and the musicians were all on the same plane that he took from the mainland. So he found himself sitting next to Jim Mullen, Alan Barnes etc. and had a great time chatting with them during the flight. Then of course he arrived, sampled the whisky, listened to the jazz, took more photos, and saw the guys again on the return flight! Said it was the best holiday he ever had.

User Info Menu

I'm having a terrible time getting motivated, but I am recovering from getting Covid-19 myself. ... nausea, dizziness, and complete exhaustion. .

I stay awake for two, sometimes three hours, but the rest of the time I'm sleeping.
    I'm sorry for what you've been going through but thankful that you survived it, Rob.

Playing takes energy and focus. It is perfectly normal not to want to play when you are recovering from a serious medical issue. I'm sure your motivation will return as your energy level improves. In the mean time, just be good to yourself and don't guilt-trip.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery,

SJ

User Info Menu

Thanks, SJ. Much appreciated. Getting there.

User Info Menu

Hang in Rob!

User Info Menu

Thanks. There's not much else to do!

User Info Menu

ugh...so sorry to hear rob...terrible news...

i wanted to like your bach uke vid, but how could i like a post with bad news like that?...

so i'll say here your bach uke was wonderful, and glad you are at least getting some relief from js' artistry

all the best sent...

cheers

User Info Menu

Cheers, my friend. It's a drag, but I'm still here...many aren't.

User Info Menu

I'm having a terrible time getting motivated, but I am recovering from getting Covid-19 myself. I didn't get the respiratory problems, thankfully, but I lost the senses of taste and smell, suffered nausea, dizziness, and complete exhaustion. The nausea and dizziness have gone, but the rest is still there, and it has been six weeks and counting.

I stay awake for two, sometimes three hours, but the rest of the time I'm sleeping. When I do play, I can only manage the ukulele, but Bach is my solace, so, during a waking period I recorded this:

It's strange, but some people only get the non-respiratory symptoms. A sax player friend of mine got your symptoms, and they had to break down the door to his apt., because he was lying on the floor and couldn't get up. He spent some time in a hospital, and then rehab, and is doing much better now.
    He claims Chlorohydroxyquone helped him, but I wouldn't recommend that stuff to anyone.
    Hang in there!

User Info Menu

Thanks, sgcim. It can be tough, even without the chest problems. Being an asthmatic, I think I dodged a bullet there.