The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 124

User Info Menu

You can only choose one!!!

Mine is "Everybody Digs Bill Evans". I just think it has everything. "Portrait in Jazz" is also amazing, with Scott Lafaro, but somehow I find myself listening to EDBE more often and in more different situations.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Without over thinking the question, Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins.

User Info Menu

The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow.
    I think that was my favorite for a while too, and in fact I gave a copy to my trumpet teacher as a Christmas present during my year away from guitar while injured. It did hip me to Eddie Costa though and that sort of led to greater appreciation for piano players.

User Info Menu

Classic Jazz - Miles Davis' Porgy & Bess has been getting a lot of play lately.

Modern Jazz - I just can't get enough of Nels Cline and Julian Lage's Room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters View Post
    Classic Jazz - Miles Davis' Porgy & Bess has been getting a lot of play lately.

Modern Jazz - I just can't get enough of Nels Cline and Julian Lage's Room.
    You have to choose one. If you choose two, eventually somebody will choose three... and on it will go. One album, you have to choose...it's the only one you can listen to the rest of your life...what is it?

User Info Menu

I think my fave jazz album ever might well be Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy. There's not a wasted nanosecond on it, every air molecule in that session is perfect.

But I'm not sure I'd want it as the only one I could listen to for the rest of my life... definitely not an album for all moods! Would probably go with some Ellington if it had to be my lifetime companion.

Last edited by Matt Milton; 06-17-2020 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet

I'm aware that my number one choice has a strong nostalgic appeal (the early 1980s, I was 17 and living in a converted storeroom in my place of employment with this album - and Paris Concert/Mulligan, Midnight Blue/Burrell, Cole Porter Songbook/Fitzgerald, Jazz Winds/Garland etc...and as happy as can be) but Brubeck was and still is a challenge and even kind of exotic. The right time and place and music.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I could narrow it down to anything less than 10, but this one would certainly be in the running.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Choosing the album, not the artist, I must go with the obvious. But obvious for a reason: Kind of Blue.

User Info Menu

man i been collecting records and cds and all else since i was 6 years old

favorite 100! maybe...

i have a couple of new #1's everyday

cheers

User Info Menu

I would normally go with Kind of Blue, or Love Supreme. But as I am sure that you all know those two, let me step out and say Ask the Ages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    man i been collecting records and cds and all else since i was 6 years old

favorite 100! maybe...

i have a couple of new #1's everyday

cheers
    But if you had to choose just 1 and it was all you could listen to for the rest of your life, surely you could choose?

User Info Menu

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 06-16-2020 at 06:33 AM.

User Info Menu

"Ellis in Wonderland" by Herd Ellis and a stellar cast.

Three reasons.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 06-16-2020 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I'm not sure I could narrow it down to anything less than 10, but this one would certainly be in the running.
    That's a compilation album and they clearly don't count. Why? Because I said so!

(but yea that is a solid one as it relates to representing Tal at his best in the 50s).

User Info Menu

There's more than one jazz album?! I thought Kind Of Blue was it...

User Info Menu

Desmond and Hall. Glad to be Unhappy

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Difficult choice . . . .

Imaginairy Day - Pat Metheny Group
    Tutu - Miles Davis/Marcus Miller
    Shadows and light - Joni Mitchell (it's not really considered jazz, but hey, Metheny, Brecker and Pastorius in one band? It really doesn't get any better than that)

And the winner is . . . .

User Info Menu

Weather Report - Black Market

User Info Menu

Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-zoot-jimmy-jpg

User Info Menu

John Scofield - Meant to Be

User Info Menu

Don't know if many will know this.

Jesse van Ruller - CATCH! (featuring Roy Hargrove)

Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-schermafbeelding-2020-06-17-om-12-13-02-jpg Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-schermafbeelding-2020-06-17-om-12-13-12-jpg