The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 124

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond and Jim Hall, Glad to Be Unhappy.

Another I love: Festa by Viva Brasil.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some of my favorites have already been mentioned (Kind of Blue, Charlie Christian with Benny Goodman etc...)
    Why not Ellington at Newport ? (great Paul Gonsalves !)

User Info Menu

Porgy and Bess , Miles and Gill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Betz View Post
    Undercurrent

Bill Evans and Jim Hall

Best album and best album cover . . .

Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-edbd0efc-0549-48aa-a708-3383ec53993a-jpg

User Info Menu

Setting aside "Kind of Blue," (in the same spirit that there's two kinds of food: Chocolate and everything else. Or two kinds of music: Beatles and all other music...)

So, I'll go with: "Standards" by Bereli Lagrene. (Followed closely by David Grisman Quintet eponymous debut, and Stephane Grappelli "At the Winery" feature Martin Taylor.)

User Info Menu

Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

Both the Köln Concert and Concert by the Sea could have been contenders, if only they had featured better pianos.

User Info Menu

Sonny Rollins, The Bridge
    Cannonball Adderly, Somethin' Else

User Info Menu

Kind of Blue. It has it all. Conceived in 1958 recorded in 1959. It’s brought millions to discover jazz. But most importantly the album is Timeless. It may well have been recorded today. The timelessness of the album makes it the greatest album ever recorded. And to think, that was achieved in 1959. 60 years, and still going strong. Unreal.

My Favorite Things would be my second. It too has been listened to and purchased by millions. It to has staying power.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-22-2020 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm defecting. Live at the Village Vanguard is probably the album that I have listened to more than any other. I should pick it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    You have to choose one. If you choose two, eventually somebody will choose three... and on it will go. One album, you have to choose...it's the only one you can listen to the rest of your life...what is it?
    Fair point. OK. It'll have to be Kind Of Blue.

User Info Menu

"Meet the Jazztet" seems to get better the more I listen to it, and I've been listening to it for about 30 years.

User Info Menu

Picking only one is far too limiting, but if it’s only one it’s Kind Of Blue, of course!

User Info Menu

I’m not really a jazz aficionado, but it would either be kind of blue or ted greene’s solo guitar. I can listen to both these albums endlessly.

User Info Menu

My ESP / Kind of Blue listening ratio is well into double digits

User Info Menu

Changes like the weather, but one that never seems to leave my top 10 is Frisell/Motian/Lovano's "I have the room above her."

User Info Menu

I guess my favourite (jazz)album is Imaginary Day by the Pat Metheny group. It's a monumental piece of art.

User Info Menu

It would have to be “Seven Steps to Heaven” with Miles Davis. Six tunes split between two great sets of players, with all the fire, mysterious imagination, and cogency you could want.

Tough choice since there are so many Wes and KB albums I love, but I guess I'd have to go with this one:

User Info Menu

Monk plays Duke.

User Info Menu

A Love Supreme.

Transcendent.

Larry Young’s Unity

Featuring:
    Elvin Jones
    Joe Henderson
    Woody Shaw

User Info Menu

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

Favorite tune on that record - A Remark You Made

User Info Menu

Interstellar Space

User Info Menu

You're gonna make me listen to just one album, for all time?

I'm not impressed, but ok, I'll have Biréli Lagrenè and Sylvain Luc - Summertime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1234 View Post
    You're gonna make me listen to just one album, for all time?

I'm not impressed, but ok, I'll have Biréli Lagrenè and Sylvain Luc - Summertime.
    Interstellar Space? Oh hell yeah! There’s en endless amount of material to explore. I really like Nels Cline’s take on the album too. Completely different, but entirely captivating.

Heading to the office, but I’m gonna give Summertime a listen.