The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 124

User Info Menu

Some interesting selections here, some familiar and some I've not heard of. Definitely a lot of Tal love here. Interesting that nobody chose "The Trio" with wunderkind Billy Bean on guitar. I would have thought at least one of the Tal drummerless trio fans might have preferred that one, taste being subjective and all. Also surprised that nobody mentioned "Blue Trane" or "The Bridge" - especially the latter given it features a particularly intense-sounding Jim Hall or any Grant Green (Number 1 Green Street!).

Anyways, I'm sticking with my choice of Everybody Digs Bill Evans...if you haven't listened to that one recently, go listen to its version of Night & Day. For years I thought that was Paul Motion on drums but turns out it's Philly Joe, sounding especially awesome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sonny Rollins - The Bridge with Jim Hall

Sonny Rollins - "The Bridge" - JAZZIZ Magazine

User Info Menu

Of course , maybe a South Sea island, etc etc, maybe it'd be worth it just once to hear this in that setting:

The Modern Jazz Quartet With Laurindo Almeida - Collaboration (1964, Monarch Pressing, Vinyl) | Discogs

User Info Menu

If I had to pick one album to listen to for the rest of my life, it wouldn't matter which one it was since I'd eventually end up hating it anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    That's a compilation album and they clearly don't count. Why? Because I said so!

(but yea that is a solid one as it relates to representing Tal at his best in the 50s).
    Yes, we must force Stan to delete that...

User Info Menu

"Also surprised that nobody mentioned "Blue Trane"

that's the first one that popped into my head...I was just listening to it in the car cd player [yeah, my car is old]
    but that was yesterday and this is today....

User Info Menu

yeah Costa is sadly largely forgotten today, those double handed chord solos are something, good vibes player too
    a huge output back in the day, tragically cut short @ 31 in a car accident

User Info Menu

I would have to say, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Countdown: Time In Outer Space. That album made me a jazz fan in the early ‘80s. It was the first album I listened to in my Dad’s collection, after which I started pestering him and exploring other stuff he had. Thanks, Dad!

User Info Menu

Hehe, I can just feel the peeps here trying not to nominate KOB for fear of being too unimaginative, unoriginal, predictable etc...

But it's OK, it's still, and always will be, Jazz's major miracle. After a broad stretch of daylight, we can file underneath it all the great albums we'd consider to be the minor miracles, maybe starting with Saxophone Collussus...

User Info Menu

Probably Joe Pass 'Intercontinental'.

joe pass intercontinental - YouTube

User Info Menu

At this moment, I am inclined to go wither with Lee Morgan's Sidewinder or Herbie Hancock's Takin' Off...simply because I love Miles so much that I just can't chose one.

User Info Menu

I would have to go with an album I bought in in 1980 - Sarah Vaughan with Barney Kessel and Joe Comfort. The version I have is probably a cheap-ish Reactivation label vinyl re-release of this 1962 session but it introduced me to the sort of guitar playing I really enjoy, accompanying a good jazz singer. I got the chance to do this pretty regularly over the years and I still do, and still call upon Barney's techniques and sounds for inspiration. (Around the same time I bought the new to the scene 'Pat Metheny Group' and 'The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow. I still have them, still play them and still enjoy them).

User Info Menu

Two: John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman and Chet Baker: Live in Tokyo. Good playing . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    I would have to go with an album I bought in in 1980 - Sarah Vaughan with Barney Kessel and Joe Comfort. The version I have is probably a cheap-ish Reactivation label vinyl re-release of this 1962 session but it introduced me to the sort of guitar playing I really enjoy, accompanying a good jazz singer. I got the chance to do this pretty regularly over the years and I still do, and still call upon Barney's techniques and sounds for inspiration. (Around the same time I bought the new to the scene 'Pat Metheny Group' and 'The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow. I still have them, still play them and still enjoy them).
    The Sarah Vaughan album is "Sarah + 2". It's very good and one of my mellow favorites, especially "All I Do Is Dream of You" when they double the tempo part way through. That's one of my go-to tunes when I'm trying to get someone hooked on jazz. If you like that album then definitely check out her earlier album "After Hours" (the 1961 album, not the later one with a big band) which is also a trio affair with Mundell Lowe and George Duvivier - it's even mellower but just as good if not better.

User Info Menu

Art Tatum Group Masterpieces with Ben Webster.

Love Tatum in general, and that one is just perfect.

User Info Menu

Ben Allison - Buzz

User Info Menu

There are so many really wonderful jazz albums, how the heck do you pick one to be your favorite?

I am trying not to nominate a Kind of Blue, as already mentioned above. While it was a major miracle of jazz music, that year (1959) had a number of major miracle albums: Kind of Blue, Time Out, The Shape of Jazz to Come, Giant Steps and Mingus Ah Um. What a watershed year in jazz!

If I was forced to pick a favorite? If I could mush together the Jim Hall Live! and Jim Hall Live Vols 2-4 then I'd go for that. But The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow is right up there.

User Info Menu

Breezin - George Benson.

User Info Menu

Two for the Road by Herb Ellis and Joe Pass
    Your Number 1 Favorite Jazz Album-two-road-jpg

User Info Menu

Midnight Blue, Kenny Burrell with Stanley Turrentine

User Info Menu

The album I turn to the most often is Bill Evans, Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings. The interplay is amazing and there are always new inspirational finds every listening. What a trio!

User Info Menu

Undercurrent

Bill Evans and Jim Hall

Best album and best album cover . . .

User Info Menu

A second nomination as I've been listening to it a lot lately.

As a perspiring solo guitar wannabe wirh little to no talent, I try to isolate small riffs that I think I can steal, and Bill Evans is always my go-to.

I'm adding Bill Evans Solo Sessions I-II. You can catch it on YouTube. Amazing intertwining lines. Hard for me to copy bits. I think I started guitar 50 years too late.

User Info Menu

My Favorite Things (1961) because it features my favorite band, and my favorite song.

User Info Menu

Ooh, all time is Guaraldi’s Charlie Brown Christmas, but maybe Ray Barbee Meets the Mattson 2.